Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     
Default Hoist references please?

Hi all,

Anyone wiling to give me a reference on their car hoist?

I'm considering getting a hoist to go into my shed mainly for the Cobra.

After searching the web and this forum for threads on the topic, I am aware of the following 2 suppliers:

- Tufflift hoists in Yarrambat in Victoria, and
- Liftking Australia in Croydon, NSW

Looking on the web, both these suppliers look to be catering for the same market and to the untrained eye, their hoists look similar?

I'm in Perth, so a WA supplier would have been nice, but I'd rather go for the best product/value for money option regardless of where they come from within Aust...

Anyone prepared to give me a reference or any tips before I go any further?

Regards.....Paul
Old 11-24-2008, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kenmer
Not Ranked     

Try Molnar hoists in s.a
Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

My brother, nephew and I went 3rds in a hoist - you can see some pics in the thread linked below

Gettin old and fat(ter)

From memory we looked at Molnar but they were a little more pricey (especially for a home hoist).

Eventually went with Tufflift and the guy had a crew that installed locally for what seemed to be a reasonable fee so we opted for that too - all up just under 4k (from memory) He was very easy to deal with - everyone turned up on time and the installation was incident free. At the time he seemed to be selling quite a few and I wasn't able to find any negative feed back on the 'net (via google).

If you can stretch to a clear floor lift do so - not having the lines between the posts on the floor makes it much easier for any under car work. Particularly if you have to wheel anything heavy under the car (like a tranny or diff) when the little bump becomes a big obstacle - also one less thing to trip on when you're looking up.

Sometimes our hoist will stall when trying to lift from a point part way up - where we stop the hoist to remove the wheels - we just let it down a little then it goes fine again. My brother was able to explain why this happens but I didn't really take it in past '..it's no big deal, the ...'

I was keen on a four post lift because I imagined that most of the work would be drive-on / drive-off, (and I think it was cheaper) however as a former mechanic (having used both extensively) my brother would not consider a four post hoist on the basis of ease of access to the car and remaining workspace around the car (not that they don't have their place)

I have to say it's a great piece of kit to get and makes life a whole lot easier when working on a car.

Cobras are high maintenance and if its easy to get under there and have a look then you're more likely to do so - stitch in time and all that

Good luck with your choice and show us a pic or two when you're done

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 11-24-2008 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: grammer and spelink
Old 11-24-2008, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, Ford 5.4 SOHC 3v
Not Ranked     

Hi Paul,

There is a company in Wangara that sells hoists, they are called -
'WA Lifting Equipment' of unit 8, 9 Inspiration Drive, Wangara.
Phone: 9302 6800, fax: 9302 6844.
They have an add in the current Quokka at the back of the 'motoring plus' section and no,
I am not associated with them in anyway, I just saw their add the other day when I got the Quokka.
I have just sent you a link to their web site.
Goodluck mate.

Cheers,

Harry.

PS: They in the same block as 'Battens Performance Tuning'
Old 11-24-2008, 04:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison no. 9, Pace GT40 no. 14 build
Not Ranked     

Hi, another new member here about a third of the way through a Harrison build. I purchased a overhead Tufflift two poster a few months ago but have not got around to installing it in the shed. The company was very good to deal with and the hoist seems very well made and heavy duty. The price was good compared to others on the market and I understand their main selling point is that they are made in one factory in China for a well known American distributor. Power has just been run to the shed so I hope to set-up the hoist over the end of year break.

Regards

DC
Old 11-24-2008, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,

Dig a hole it's much cheaper. there's a picture of one in my gallery....

Seriously though storage and car stacking and basic servicing (oil change etc)a drive on four post is perfect. For serious working on the car suspension and brakes etc a two post, clear floor 4 arm chassis hoist is best.

I'm with Harry, check out the Quakka and the Sunday paper there are always a few for sale second hand.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I have been in many workshops in my time as a mechanic and as a service manager.
I have never seen a Tecalemit hoist fail.
They are more expensive, but when I saw a Renault fall of another brand of hoist (Arms on one side gave way) it was not a pretty sight for the Renault.
http://www.tecalemit.com.au/5110_vehicle_hoists.html

And when fitting the hoist at home, make sure you have the correct grade concrete, remember all that stops them falling over is the dynabolts in the concrete.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 11-24-2008 at 05:25 PM..
Old 11-24-2008, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

G'Day I've got a Direct-Lift / Tuff-Lift four post and it does the job. It's not bolted down and has casters to move it around. Being free standing ( it has bolt holes in the feet) is can sway a bit. I fixed this by attaching the top of the two posts closest to the wall with a removeable arm to the shed wall top plate. As for tyre changing a common "scissor" type jack does the job but is so much easier with the car on the hoist at waist height.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

I was refering to 2 post hoist, if using 4 post these are a little harder to topple over.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Heidelberg

Paul,

I have a Tufflift from Clive at Yarrambat.

Barry N. also has one. A number of my Street Rod friends have them and speak highly of them.

I can only highly recommend them.

Ring Clive and bargain with him as a Cobra owner and tell him you heard about his good deals. He will look after you. You should get wheel kits, jack kits and trays all thrown in.

My hoist is supplied with wheels and I am able to move it around. It lifts when the hoist is drop and the wheels are fitted.

The hoist is well made and doubles as storage as I have the GT40 below it. You have possibly seen the adds in Unique Cars that Tufflift has?

Here is a picture of my friends hoist.. thanks Kristen.

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 11-25-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: picture added - thanks kristen for use of your picture
Old 11-25-2008, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Nice Cobra.

Regards.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mando,

Yes it's a neat Cobra. Check out more photos in 'hey'liitlecobras' gallery - Texas site.

All going well with the build? Missed you at the Nationals.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force kit, LS1, 4L60, 4.09 LSD... Gone to Queensland!!!
Not Ranked     

Paul,

My Hoist is the same as the one pictured above, it also came from Clive at Tufflift.

Clive is excellent to deal with and sorted a minor problem I had very quickly (I filled it with ATF as the book said but this made it noisy, hydraulic oil fixed it)... I got the mobilisation castor wheels, two jack trays and two scissor jacks thrown in for a total of $4000 delivered. The jack trays and scissor jacks are very handy for changing wheels or doing other work that requires the entire vehicle to be lifted. I definitely recommend giving Clive a call.

You are welcome to come around and put mine through it's paces if you wish Paul...
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default Looks Familiar

I have tufflift 4 post.
I use it for storage but it has been excellent when working on the cars.
I have had no issue works flawlessly every time.

Here it is with cars packed away nicely.

I think a lot of cobra owners also has a mustang in there shed.

Phil
Old 11-26-2008, 03:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Good to see it with the ceiling lined. It's turned out really nice Phil.

Cheers

Old 11-27-2008, 12:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

When I mentioned the scissor jack I was talking about the common garden variety that's in every car boot. I've seen pictures of a scissor fitting that fits between the two ramps. Is this what comes as an accessory with the direct lift ? If so can someone show a picture please ? I'd like one of those
Old 11-27-2008, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: rcm 5ltr windsor paxton supercharged
Not Ranked     
Default Tuff lift

Clive is so easy to deal with installed in about 3hours
my garage has a 9' 6" ceiling can fit XR8 on top as well.
Bazz.

Last edited by Barry Nelson; 11-27-2008 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: wrong photo
Old 11-27-2008, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

E Bay E Bay E Bay
Old 11-27-2008, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
When I mentioned the scissor jack I was talking about the common garden variety that's in every car boot. I've seen pictures of a scissor fitting that fits between the two ramps. Is this what comes as an accessory with the direct lift ? If so can someone show a picture please ? I'd like one of those
This is a "wheels free'" or "Scissor jack" that is fitted to most 4 post hoists.
It sits in a grooved channel between the ramps so you can slide it back and forward.

Image lifted from http://www.tecalemit.com.au/5111_tec4004jb.html

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike.

Getting there.

Made some metal shavings the other day.

Phil