Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Windsor won't bluddy fit! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/93363-windsor-wont-bluddy-fit.html)

byroncobra 12-02-2008 02:04 AM

Windsor won't bluddy fit!

I had a serious go at shoehorning the 302" into the car today and dramas all round....t........the engine mounts don't line up and the gearbox fouls on the chassis tunnel.

Anyway, I managed to get a bolt through one mount but the other is about 1 1/2" off centre, I can't see any other option other than to weld a little extra onto the mount to effectively elongate the fit. Added to this is the reverse lockout on the 6 speed (on the left-hand side of the box) and the casting on the right-hand side are jambed hard against the aluminium sheet that I lined the tunnel with. I took the angle grinder to the lining to give relief to bind but I still have issues with the chassis rails.

I'm wondering if perhaps the engine mounts (that were already fitted to the engine when I purchased it) are incorrect. Are there numerous styles for Windsors?

Has anyone else fitted the Tremec T56 to a Harrison and had problems with clearance?

Over to you gurus!!

Thanks

PANAVIA 12-02-2008 02:31 AM

The T56 is a monster for that motor.

There are two basic types of motor mounts , the easy way to look them up would be 1964 ford and 1966 ford , that will give you the two designs.

are you sure you dont have them the wrong way around --pictures would be great so we can help.

Steve

Merv and Sharon 12-02-2008 02:48 AM

Check with Warwick Greg. He is busy, but call him. He has a T56 in his shed now that he is fitting. I have a T5 which is easy to fit and also my chassis (#80) has the wider tunnel. Even so, Warwick makes up some special mounts for the gear box and the engine mounts that I bought (there are several that can work, but others have used these as well) will still need some extending. I will be at Warwick's later this week to put the motor and gear box in (I still have to fit the clutch fork and throw-out bearing) and will check on the engine mounts.

Merv

Merv

Merv and Sharon 12-02-2008 02:50 AM

You could sell the T56 and get a good T5? Depends what you want to do with the car I guess. The T5 is, I believe, a bit 'delicate' if racing is in mind. However, I am advised it is a light 'box to use. Others would be more knowledgeable.

Merv

byroncobra 12-02-2008 03:15 AM

Thanks fellas

Panavia...if you are referring to model years, mine's a '92 from a HO Mustang. I considered mount may be upside down or reversed but that's not the case (unfortunately)

Merv...Ill get onto Warrick tomorrow. It'd be a pitty to toss the T56 I think although Warrick has mentioned that 6th gear is hardly needed. I may just have to hack and grind the chassis members to make it fit. Its a bugger that I went to the trouble of lining it all!! Interesing that you need to pack out your mounts, I'd hoped that Warricks' chassis would line up.........sounds like she's almost back from the paintshop, did you not fit up the engine before sending it off there?

Greg

PANAVIA 12-02-2008 03:29 AM

I have a Carbed 92 mustang HO motor with an E303 cam and headers in an old 65 mustang , guess the transmission , yup a T5.

Ford sells a Beefy T5 that should be up to the task. orrrr....

In my SPF ; I personally chose a 3550 Tremec and a belhousing from a 1995 Cobra R mustang.

The T56 is popular with the GM crowd so you should have no problem finding a home for it, i agree it would be neat, but this car is meant to use 1st through 4th gears and 5th is a bonus!

Bummer on the motormounts. are you using the 1992 mounts>?

try a set of 1965's. i am sending you a PM with a pic.

Merv and Sharon 12-02-2008 04:02 AM

Greg ,

I did test fit the 302 motor and T5 gearbox and all fits easily but the mounts that I bought need a little extending. No worries, as my chassis needs new mount brackets as it has the brackets for the LS2 motor. I changed mind subsequently and got a Ford motor - just couldn't do it..... in this 'continuation' vehicle.

Don't do too much grinding - take some time and think about the pros and cons of changing the 'box.

Cheers,

Merv

07cob 12-02-2008 09:14 PM

Ooohh Bugger

Hey Greg

Boy, do I remember this feeling. 302 with T5 into a Harrison's and I reckon I couldn't have gotten it in with a sledge hammer. There was wailing and gnashing of teeth. Turns out that one of the mounts I bought was actually fabricated the wrong way around. Unbeievable!! Not something I even considered checking (Warwick actually picked it up) and also highly unlikely, but worth looking at regardless!!

Geof

byroncobra 12-03-2008 01:57 PM

Wow Geof,

One assumes the off the shelf fabricated parts are correct!! I can imagine all the head scratching:confused:

I have spoken to Warrick and got a few pointers. I'm starting on loosening up things down the 'box end.That will allow me to get a bit more movement up front, then need to cut and weld the mounts a bit.

It all good fun:3DSMILE:

byroncobra 12-06-2008 08:30 PM

Guess what?
The mounts were wrong.
I picked up a new set from local auto suppliers and they bolted up. Goodness knows what the ones supplied with the engine are off:confused:
Anyway off to the next challenge of sorting out all the wiring.

Merv and Sharon 12-07-2008 02:51 AM

Well done Greg! Good luck with the wiring. Wiring is a job that - with lots of advice from Geof and Rebel 1 - I THINK I have most correct. I still have minor doubts about some systems but they all seem to work with the battery connected and no burn outs. Next is the engine harness to connect up.

Merv

byroncobra 12-07-2008 01:48 PM

Hi Merv

I'm fiddling with the engine loom at the moment. I gave it Warrick a while back and he stripped all unnecessary stuff off it........i've got to call him as there's still wires and plugs on it that are unmarked and don't seem to have a home.

I've been web hunting for body looms. Painless and Centech get the best wrap on most of the Rod/Muscle car US sites, EZ is regularly mentioned and a fair bit cheaper. What did you end up using?

Have you done the body loom first for any reason?

Greg

Krait 12-08-2008 06:03 AM

Greg,

I am using an American Autowire harness. AAW were good to deal with and the package seems fairly comprehensive.

Cheers

Tenrocca 12-08-2008 04:08 PM

Greg - studid question (and its prob been asked and answered before) how are you going to get your car registered in NSW with a 302?

On topic - I also used an american Autowire harness and can recommend.

Cheers. :)

byroncobra 12-08-2008 10:29 PM

Tenrocca....rego will be QLD

Thanks for the harness info just wish I'd looked at this 6 months ago with the current exchange rate:CRY:

Merv and Sharon 12-09-2008 01:55 AM

Good to talk with you yesterday Greg. I used the Painless loom/harness and did the body first and then used the engine/ECU harness that came with my Mustang motor - in some cases in integration with the Painless loom (e.g., with the starter motor and fuel pump). I had the engine/ECU loom refurbished first, however. The Painless harnesses are well prepared and have an excellent manual and online support if needed (you can download their manuals to see what you would be getting). They have Australian distributors as well.

Merv

Merv

PANAVIA 12-09-2008 02:08 AM

Painless has a main car harness that seems to be a GM color code, and a 65-66 mustang harness that may fit the bill, or a generic ford muscle car harness.

ideas...

Rebel1 12-09-2008 03:11 AM

Painless harnesses are GM color coded.

For those with ford power MAY be better off using a Ron Francis ford color code harness.

All harnesses: http://www.ronfrancis.com/departments.asp?dept=1
express harness: http://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=9
Bare Bonz harness: http://www.ronfrancis.com/products.asp?dept=18

There is even a harness for the FFR cobras that may be suitable.

Merv and Sharon 12-09-2008 03:26 AM

The one I had had Ford as well in the manual but, from my experience, Les is a good source of advice on this aspect!

Merv

byroncobra 12-10-2008 03:28 AM

Thanks fellas
I've been net shopping today and scored a new American Autowire harness from a guy up in Qld who imports US autoparts. About 30% cheaper than buying direct from US with our terrible exchange rate.
It's actually got too many circuits so I'll prob just strip them out. Would have been happy with any of your recommendations though.
Also found a MAF from a guy in the US who's just removed it from his mustang.
It'll my PP throttle body as he had the same so just need to fit up a cold air intake and I should be cookin'.
Oh... can I pass inspection Ok with an aftermarket cold air intake pipe and fancy conical filter?
Greg