Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-25-2008, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Any paint experts?

Hi Guys and Gals, hope you all had a great Christmas & that you got the gifts you had hoped for.

I am giving a golf buggy a spruce up over the next couple of weeks and will be re-painting it.
I would like to keep it white in color and will be painting it at home in the yard, so will most likely be using either acrylic or enamel (I cant remember which one dries faster),
My question is that I spotted this stuff on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PPG-Cobra-Pla...1%7C240%3A1318 and was wondering if this can be mixed with either of these paints? Or must it be only used in 2K?
If it is ok, how much do you mix in with 4 litres to get a color change, without loosing the white.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB. Engine out :)
Not Ranked     

Boxey ,
Merry Xmas mate
Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Acrylic enamel or acrylic lacquer ? The laquer dries the fastest. It needs a clear top coat.
The enamel is like oil house paint it needs.....a long time to dry.
As far as the E-Bay stuff...It's an additive. I reckon you could use it with acrylic lacquer and a clearcoat. It's meant for 2-pack but 2-Pack is just a pigment covered with a you-beaut 2-pack clear......you might get away with it.
I'm using a silver "base coat tint" to paint the chassis. So it's now a "base coat".. the coverage is there. So I can only guess that if you mix it with the appropriate colour OR clear. You will get a prety good effect..............basically...wack it in the clear and see what happens !

Last edited by Rob. Smith; 12-26-2008 at 05:34 AM..
Old 12-26-2008, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

David,

I have no idea about paint whatsoever!

My advice is to make that cart as bad as ever. Flame job anyone?

Ben
Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

I wanted to do a flame job, sadly it is not my buggy, and when I asked the owner what color he would like he said white.
It kills me to paint it straight white so that is why I have been looking at some of these pearls or sfx paints.
It will still be white.
I also want to buy an electronic gadget that I saw a few years ago, it connects to the accelerator pedal, and you can choose from a list of noises.
It has a speaker and as you accelerate, it makes the same sound that whatever car you have chosen.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
California Dreamin Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to vanoochka Send a message via Yahoo to vanoochka Send a message via Skype™ to vanoochka
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
I also want to buy an electronic gadget that I saw a few years ago, it connects to the accelerator pedal, and you can choose from a list of noises.
It has a speaker and as you accelerate, it makes the same sound that whatever car you have chosen.
It's called a VroomBox. (doesn't include speakers or amp) I've been thinking about installing one on my wife's Prius, just for sh*ts & giggles. BTW, the first sound listed on their site is a Shelby Cobra.

http://www.vroombox.com/vroombox/
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

I'm a painter so, please don't do it in the yard, too much debris even if it's calm. Try it in a garage and make a simple & cheap booth box out of PVC pipe and clear plastic. Use a box fan on one side of the booth and few fans to push out the fumes in the garage. Also, wear a mask. Lacquer takes too many coats to cover, then you'll have a lot of sanding & rubbing. Enamel is your best bet and it's fairly hard. And, there's no need to use a clear coat. Make sure you choose the best reducers/hardeners for the current air conditions. I use my simple booth for painting my 1/4 scale remote control toys, and anything that needs painting around the house. It's very simple, cheap, clean and easy to assemble & take down. There is no need to glue any joints either.

If you have any questions or want more photo's, let me know.
Attached Images

Last edited by FUNFER2; 12-26-2008 at 07:14 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was Enamel that I used on the Volkswagon I painted a few years ago, so Enamel it is again.
It was glossy straight of the gun and did not require any cutting back or polishing.
Thanks for the tip on a home both Kevin, I will be doing this in my shed, I cleaned it out today to get ready.
The buggy is all pulled apart and cleaned down, I have a couple more hours of sanding, then it is time to mask it up.
So if I get some of this pearl flake, am I reading correctly that it has to be applied in a clear coat? I am assuning this is so the flake shows through the clear?
Or can I add it to the last coat or 2 of white that I apply to the buggy?

Cruising in 5th

Old 12-28-2008, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

The last time I read about painting stuff white. The recommendation was to leave the clearcoat off as it will yellow with time. Maybe 2-pack clears are ok now I'm not sure now.
Have a look at house of colour they have some awsome additives that complement white very well.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1st Harrison with Gen 3 , 6 speed ,Godzilla diff & brakes
Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead
If you can paint acrylic and enamel you will have no probs doing it in 2K
I find it easier to paint then both the others. Tack off time is quicker than enamel anyway and if you use a fast hardener and thinner it will be way quicker. Better paint it fast though.
deffinetly woyuld not be putting on acrylic, unless you use clearcoat on top it will be forever fading especcially since it will be it the sun alot. Only cheap paint will yellow off.
Not sure how you will go buying 2K though not many people sell it to public. You may be able to get it through your work.
Regards
Paul
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I can get 2K paint fairly easily, was mainly worried about the fumes though.
But I could make a booth in plastic as per Funfer2's diections, and have water running on the floor (paint shop I used to work at did this whan there booth died).
Trying to do it as cheap as possable since it isnt mine and I dont want to ask for any money.
But I have painted 2K before, I had a 1972 Toyota Crown that I painted in Holden Sherwood metalic green.
I was stunned how smooth and shiny it was straight of the gun, of course it did not look any good until the clear was applied, but oh boy that sure did make a difference

Cruising in 5th

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: