Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New guy..

Hello all..

Just joined and wanted to introduce myself to the crew here. I have been interested in building a Cobra since I saw one in a classic Australian Ampol commercial many years ago. I looked into it a few years back, but life (wife, kids, mortgage, etc..) got in the way so I put the idea on the back burner.

Anyway I think it's time I got serious and wanted to ask the experts here where I should start. I have seen the Aus Cobra kit companies online, and like the DRB and also the Harrison kits, but would love suggestions here. I'll be starting later this year, once I put aside some dollars, so any "pre-build" tips welcome. Also I have no car construction ability, so I'll want something for a novice builder, if that helps.

Anyway glad I found the site!
Cheers,
IvanG.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi there Ivan and welcome along.
There are many threads in the Australian section of this forum advising the pro's and cons of the different kits.
I am not sure where you live but getting a kit that is local to your area or state can make life easier.
You will also need to check with your local MVR-RTA-VicRoads (where ever you live) to see what emission levels you must meet, I.e what engine you can run.
You will also need to think about what your going to use th ecar for, as they are all different and some work better as circuit racers, some better as drag racers. If your just after a day to day or weekend cruiser then the decission will come down more to looks (as they are all slightly different)
If you can, go along to one of the club meetings, and dont be afraid to talk to people, you will find that most are very welcoming as we all share the same passion.
Also depending on your skill level will determine just how much of the car you can do yourself.
Most kits now are pretty good at being just straight up assembly when it comes to the mechanical side, I personally hate wiring, I did the engine and dash wiring myself, but could not bring myself to do the main harness through the car, ie lights, fuse panels etc, So I had this part done by an auto electrician.
Interior will depend on what your after and how "pretty" you want it, in my case I am chasing the circuit racer look so everything is very basic.
In any case I think just about every manufacturer has someone on here either building or driving one of there cars and if you ask a question, most people are more than willing to assist.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

welcome ivan, whatever state youre in, join up to your state club and go to some meetings if you can, thats a good start for info on building a cobra. cheers tomcat.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies thusfar!

I'm in Melbourne (outer east) and will be looking for a weekend car. Something to take up the hills for a blast, but not to race. As such I'll be after something with good, modern looks, and some creature comforts for the driving pleasure. Things like decent sound system, soft top for rain, and maybe a few other bits and bobs like portable sat nav. For the styling I like the classic blue with stripe color, and will prolly go with that, as well as the Cobra "3 blade" rims. I've seen a couple of cobras online with the right look. As for interior I'll probably be looking for something with more of a modern look. More blacks and leather, less woodgrain and stuff.

Anyway I'm going to join the Melbourne Cobra club, and will chat to some of the guys about their experiences and get a feel for what direction to take. And to look at some cars! Any VIC members feel free to PM me with club details..

Cheers.

Last edited by IvanG; 03-27-2009 at 05:56 AM..
Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

G'day Ivan and welcome to the forum. Having already settled on a colour, I reckon that's the hardest part so well done there! The Vic Cobra Club site is here. You've just missed a meeting (1st Wed of every month at Malvern East RSL) but come along next month and introduce yourself. It's a very relaxed atmosphere and there are plenty of characters and more than a few cars to eyeball.

Get yourself a Chev powered Harrison and help stir up a few Ford feathers.

Cheers

Paul
Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Picnic @ Hanging Rock

IvanG,

The annual Picnic @ Hanging Rock car show is on tomorrow.....

The Cobra Club Of Victoria will be there in mass, come along and say hello if you can make it. We should all be together so not to hard to find, just look for the club banner.

It starts from 10ish and runs all day, food and drink is available and I think it $10.00 to get in. Last year there was around 2500 cars on the day.

STIFFY
Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

If you haven't a lot of building knowledge look for a kit that basically bolts together.....some have to have alot of parts made. don't always take the cheapest option it can cost you in the long run..don't be in an almighty hurry to build it... check out alot of cars first you'll pick out things you like... Talk to people and learn from others mistakes instead of making them yourself..You will change your mind on colour 10 times before it is ready for paint....Don't rule out building a DRB 540 if you want a bolt together car Check it out on other thread

Best of Luck
Cheers Mark
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I wonder how many of us fell in love with the cobra through the ampol commercial? I know I did.

I dont think there is a cobra kit that "bolts together" is there? I cant imagine building mine without having to fabricate or modify something - that said I knew nothing before I started, still know very little - but most problems Ive had have been solved with the help of the very helpfull guys on here.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers
Old 02-07-2009, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately I cannot get along tomorrow, but had I known earlier, I may have been able to. I'll plan to get along to the next VIC meeting, which I understand will be Wed 4th March around 7:30pm, and speak to some peeps.

I note the Harrison folks recommend a Holden/Chev LS1, or LS2.. Could be a good place to start. Anyway I'm not going to be looking at a build for a few months yet, so I'll begin by meeting some owners, and feel things out. I wanna do this right, and I think doing some solid research is a good start.

Cheers.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Welcome Ivan. I am just finishing my Harrison. Warwick is very good man to work with - main reason I went that way. He also can get you Ford motors and his last few builds have been Fords - both old ones and new ones.

Send me a PM if you want more impressions or have any specific questions.

The Club connection is essential, as are lots and lots of photos during builds and of built cars.

Cheers,

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

If you can then the Shelby Fest is on at Winton on Saturday 21st March.
There will be a large array of cars where you should be able to get a good close look.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Superformance...just bolt in an engine & gearbox and away you go ! ? ? ?
Old 02-07-2009, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Welcome Ivan, from north of the border. I'm a bit puzzled with your wanting a cobra with creature comforts.
Air Conditioning! They don't have bloody windows.
Decent Sound System! There's only one sound you'll hear - the roar of an angry V8 ( Preferably ford - that'll start em off) coming out of twin pipes.
If you're not into manufacturing bits and spending hours constructing , also consider buying one already registered, saves a lot of hassles, and you can then add or have modified to your needs.
Definitely get up to Shelbyfest, I went last year with my son and we had a great time, with a few minor hiccups.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You see, I gotta convince the missus by telling her she'll enjoy the ride too. So things like air con and sound system are part of that, and if people have done it I'd like to see how/why. Just part of the pre-build research..

Shelbyfest looks like a seriously good idea too, so I'll try to get along to that as well.. The more cars to look at, and the more builders to chat to, the better.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance (AUS 09 or SPF 2792) - LS7 427ci
Not Ranked     

Ivan,

Being in Melbourne, I'd recommend a drive trip down to Warragal to see Colin/Shelly/Keith a CTC who are the importers of the Superformance (SPF) Cobra.....I purchased a "SPF" cobra through CTC last year and they were fantastic to deal with.

DadnDave's suggestion of perhaps an already registered car is also an option worth consideration.

I remember when I was at the same stage a couple of years ago, the best advice that the same guys on this forum gave me was to get out to as many of the Cobra club events like Shelbyfest, Cobra Nationals, etc as possible and invest the time to look around for what you personally like!

Good luck...

Regards....Paul
Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Ivan,

I actaully took the plunge last year and bought a rolling chassis as I wasnt sure about my technical capabilities in the metal fabrication area.

Prior to that I spent 6-9 months research/reading and saving :-).
Visited a few kit builders (interstate as well).

I have found using this forum site for advice and background reading was the key to resolving most issues.

I am in outer east Melb as well. Feel free to drop me a PM and I can speak with you or even come round to have a look/chat.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 02-08-2009, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My best mates boss has just built one, so I'm going to get a look at that this week. Not sure what kit he bought, but I believe it was from QLD. Then I'll definitely get along to some club meets and other car events over the next few months to get a clear idea of what I want, and what's involved.

All good things take time..
Old 02-08-2009, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Ivan

The best thing I can add is that you bring a digital camera along and snap anything and every thing on any cobra you see.

As they say a picture tells a 1000 words and refering back to the pictures is a good way of jogging the memory about the way bits were put together or what it was that you liked or hated about the scene you were viewing.

Add to this the discussions with club members and use of this forum and you will be able to get you're way around most obstacles.

If you've got any mechanical sense you'll be able to build a kit, you previous level of experience just dictates how quickly the build will occur.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just need to know what time to get to Winton for Shelbyfest, looks like I'll be there with the Canon taking pics!

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Practice is on Fridy so I think any time is ok.
Winton is Saturday, I would think people will be rriving by about 8.00am?
And teh gymkana is at the sale yards on Sunday, again I reckon crs will be there at bout 8.00am, but I am sure you will get a more definate answer soon.

Cruising in 5th