Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-14-2009, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     
Default Steering Wheels for ADR and Queensland Transport

I am getting ready - as time allows - for the Engineer's Inspection and then the QT one. I have currently a Motolita steering wheel (see below but mine with "AC" centre boss) and I was advised earlier that it was not compliant. So in the inspection/registration process, what should I have? I have the Harrison steering shaft.
Not keen on buying something just for the purpose of compliance, but if I have too ...

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Merv

The ADR's would particularly talk about padded spokes and centre, the same padding quality as required on the dash. There is also a minimum diameter requirement which I think here is 350mm, and should be the same for you.

Depends on how fussy the inspectors are but our padding can be quite basic and pass, then it just blows away for some reason!

Hope that helps.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Merv, you need a wheel that meets one of the recognised standards.

Steering wheel must have been tested to any of the following standards:

ADR 10/01;
ECE R 12/00;
FMVSS 203-32 FR 2414; or
FMVSS 204-32 FR 2414.
KBA (equivalent of ECE R 12/00)

ADR's also specify a minimum of 350mm diameter.

Just about every aftermarket wheel available here in Aus has been tested against one of these standads. Just check the packaging.

Merv, maybe look for a loaner wheel & boss. Is Warwick still using a Mitsubishi column?

Last edited by 400TT; 03-15-2009 at 02:59 AM..
Old 03-15-2009, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig and Stephen.

Not sure about Warwick's "wheel" just , maybe I could borrow that. However, could I just tape over my spokes with foam and that might do? I thought that Warwick was still using the Mitsubishi column Craig. I have the boss that he recommended - Saas one.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv, you will need an approved wheel that has been tested. No padding is required by QT.

There is no reason the Moto-Lita can't be ADR approved. But who wants to pay for the testing when there is no way to protect the investment. That why manufacturers here like myself don't ADR test items like this. It's a cruel situation.

Last edited by 400TT; 03-15-2009 at 04:03 PM..
Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig. I will go and see some of the cheapies or try to borrow one that fits the current shaft. You are right, that is silly.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Hi Merv,

Can you get a wheel form a wrecker to fit your column?

I had that as my backup plan in case my Momo wheel didnt pass.

In VIC we also have to put padding on the metal surfaces of the wheel - High density Foam from Clark Rubber did the trick and double sided tape - used the missus Electic Knife to shape it.

Craig - I thought there was someinth in the ADR about any "hard" surfaces your head could hit had to have padding, i.e Steering Wheel and top Rim of Dash? The Engineers in VIC demand this - I thought NSW too.

Hope you sort it out without costing too much.

Rgds

gregg
Old 03-15-2009, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkrv8 View Post
Craig - I thought there was someinth in the ADR about any "hard" surfaces your head could hit had to have padding, i.e Steering Wheel and top Rim of Dash? The Engineers in VIC demand this - I thought NSW too.
Yes that is true about padding on all hard services you can make contact with, ADR 69/00 from memory. Though steering wheels seem to be a bit of a grey area, so are boss units that no longer are collapsable. It seems to come down to local transport organisation and the engineers. We don't need padded wheel centres etc in Queensland, but the wheel needs to be compliant as mentioned above.

Last edited by 400TT; 03-15-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again Craig. I will check some out in case. Any brands or places recommended for one that will fit my column?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You are probably right Gregg. I have this really daggy one that came with the rolling chassis. But it is a bit bleeding obvious....

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv
Who is your engineer (ring him). The guy I used (Mr Cross through Warrick) gave me a list of acceptable steering wheels. There was no need for center padding he just looked for a compliant number. He was very particular about the collapsible boss though.
Bruce
Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv
Pity I could have lent you the bits of my car. But its locked up in a storage garage for 2 years and you would have to crawl all over my house hold bits to get at it.
Does Warrick not have a spare he could lend you. Maybe do a swap for a week or so.
Bruce
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a note that a collapsable boss is no longer required up here.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Merv,

You can borrow my wheel if that helps (after 9 April as I will be home for a special event on the 1st and will doing some 'testing' of my car )

Just give Warwick a call to organise.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2009, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

My car has a collapsable column, boss and column mount. The column is a mitsubishi galant jobby and I had to fabricate a "catcher" to make the column collapse. I would have been comfortable with the column dissapearing through the firewall but the explanation was that it would come back in a big hurry so it was preferred to be collapsed before it came back at me. I think if the prang was that bad I'd probably be better off in the big garage in the sky !
Old 03-17-2009, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for this Geoff, Rob, Bruce and Craig. The collapsible boss I believe I have. I will try to borrow a 'wheel from Warwick - it may be yours Geoff!!! Thanks if so, and anyway for the offer. Might catch up when you are home in April, if I am not away catching barra' then. I will call Ray Cross and ask about wheels as well. Pity that such a good wheel as the Motolita is not compliant here. It would seem that we should have some degree of cross recognition with US and European standards.

Are you getting any Cobra rides over there Bruce?

This weekend I use the double sided tape to fit the dash pad and finish off all the little things that get left until last.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Merv I can not find a Cobra in McAllen (plenty of Rattle snakes though, killed 5 at work in Mexico not so long ago). But my son and I have driven some great cars Shelby GT500, Roush Mustang, Nissan GTR, Saleen S7, Chip Foose Camaro, T Bucket to name a few. But then I go back on the Cobra site and see all you guys getting your cars on the road and the longing comes back. Anyway all the best.
Bruce
Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by macloft View Post
Merv I can not find a Cobra in McAllen (plenty of Rattle snakes though, killed 5 at work in Mexico not so long ago). But my son and I have driven some great cars Shelby GT500, Roush Mustang, Nissan GTR, Saleen S7, Chip Foose Camaro, T Bucket to name a few. But then I go back on the Cobra site and see all you guys getting your cars on the road and the longing comes back. Anyway all the best.
Bruce
Bruce,

Sounds like you are really roughing it over there???? SOme great rides there.
Could do without the rattle snakes though!!!

regards

Mick
Old 03-17-2009, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Enjoy your time there Bruce. We have lived in NY and St Louis in years past and always found our American cousins extremely hospitable and have made many friends there. Living in Texas under a Democrat administration could be tough however!

Best,

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.