Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DE Type Cobra Ford Windsor 302, 5lt fuel injected. Ford front and rear. 9" lsd.
Not Ranked     
Default paint jobs

I am looking into paint jobs and have had a quote for body prep and paint $7000 to $8000 this just seems extremely expensive. I am thinking of just going with a matt black primer with lots of chrome and black alloy wheels this effect could look quite good and cost a hell of a lot less. Has anybody had quality paint jobs done for any less, and what are the thoughts on a black primer finish.
Damo.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I had my Harrison done recently (they have a pretty rough mould with lots and lots of preparation needed and shut lines to be adjusted) at the Gold Coast by a company that does many fibreglass vehicles and that was $6000 all up. Very pleased with their work. Warwick uses them all the time now.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Damo - I think you will find it hard to get a quality job for much less then that. $6000 for a no stripe job is good value Merv. The body prep takes alot of time. Flat black primer looks excellent IMHO.

I cant afford a decent paint job at the moment, so am going a temp job also.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Damo,

I am running a flat black paint job for a while, but do not consider it to be a long term choice.

After researching plenty of painters, $8K is about the going rate with stripes.

Ben
Old 04-24-2009, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Damo,

I have been looking to get my Cobra painted soon too.

The going rate (in VIC) from my research looks like 6500 to 7500 incl prep and stripes.

Looks like Merv's painter is doing a pretty good deal.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DE Type Cobra Ford Windsor 302, 5lt fuel injected. Ford front and rear. 9" lsd.
Not Ranked     

Cheers guys well it looks like I may go flat black for a while, that look does not look too bad. Quite a few American muscle cars choose this look.
Damo.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

In the early days!! - I went white gel coat and painted flat black strips on.

I added the 'Finishline" vintage decals and was pleased with the finish

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 04-25-2009, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

I asked for a discount as I wasn't having stripes. Painter said, "no"!

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default Paint job

You guys need to come to Bundy.
Quote is $5000 with stripes. Excellent painter, does all the local hot rods and bikes.

regards

Mick
Old 04-25-2009, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sound good Mick. You could have that new Bundy rum colour.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default 6k sounds a steal providing they do a top job.

Hi Damo,

My car has been in the paint shop for 6 weeks. I'm up for 10.5K with stripes and that was one of my cheapest quotes. The top quote was 23K and the majority of the rest, around 15. I must admit that I have had all the underbody stone proofed and the entire underbody & engine bay painted in the finished coat as well. See my Gallery.

Make sure that you get a quality job, as this is one of the major features of the car. Even if you have to pay a little more, it's worth it in the long run.

Good Luck with the build.

Baz
Old 04-26-2009, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Painted

Wow $5 000.00 for a spray job, that is a bargin.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Unless the guys doing drugs on the side, I dont believe you can get a "quality" job for $5000-$6000 especially with stripes and gumballs. Baz is right, unless you stoneguard the wheelwells at a minimum to protect your paint job, your wasting your money.
I reckon the $10,500 Baz has been quoted is a great price since it includes underbody, boot and engine bay.
Most shops capable of doing the job to a high standard in Adelaide are asking $8000 and a couple $12,000 including stripes and gumballs and my underbody, boot, engine bay and most of the outerbody preparation has been done.
I wish I could find someone that could do a good job for $6000. Id grab it with both hands.
Merv, I asked one of the guys that quoted $12,000 what I could save if I went without stripes and gumballs, at least he said $2000 less.

Regards

Last edited by Mando; 04-26-2009 at 04:52 AM..
Old 04-26-2009, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mando,

I have to say how delighted I was with the job that I got for $6000.00 at the Gold Coast. These guys have the state of the art complex with 10 separate areas for prep and spraying. They get most of the local contracts for glassfibre work. They did a first class job for me and for quite a few others, through Harrisons. No sign of narcotics anywhere! The preparation was excellent and the paint finish seems superb. I did the engine bay and boot compartment and all the underbody Stoneguard myself.

Could be worth a trip to Qld to get a better priced job?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

I think that the price you pay is a reflection of the effort - man hours - more than anything else. To some extent a premium may be paid for 'the' shop.

I think it is likely that shop owners (correctly) perceive that Cobra owners are fussy buggers and the quotes/prices/effort is going to reflect that because it's cheaper all round if its done right/thoroughly at the outset.

I also expect that because the crew employed by Merv & Sharon get a fair swag of these cars they know how to meet the set expectation in the shortest time/price possible.

I also think that the 6 weeks - 3 months thing comes down to:
a) the inability of the shop to manage their workflow, or;
b)letting the customer believe that it must take 6 weeks - 3 months and that's why it costs so much

(but what do I know about the business...)

As for me - I didn't have any money left - so it was mix between DIY and professional
Fortunately I had my mechanic/brother to help - he's someone who likes to try something new (& its a good excuse to buy some tools and practice on someone else's stuff)

Having the painting done was relatively inexpensive after having done all the prep (per shop owners instructions) and I am delighted with the result (some pix below).

This may be something you'd like to consider, getting the prep done is not technically challenging, but it is physically - soooo much rubbing. Maybe you can trade your time/effort for a reduced $ outlay if your'e so inclined...

1.break it down

2.undercoat

3.take it to the shop for colour

4.some re-assemby necessary

(bigger versions in gallery)

Good luck whatever you choose

LoBelly
Old 04-26-2009, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mando View Post
Unless the guys doing drugs on the side, I dont believe you can get a "quality" job for $5000-$6000 especially with stripes and gumballs. Baz is right, unless you stoneguard the wheelwells at a minimum to protect your paint job, your wasting your money.
I reckon the $10,500 Baz has been quoted is a great price since it includes underbody, boot and engine bay.
Most shops capable of doing the job to a high standard in Adelaide are asking $8000 and a couple $12,000 including stripes and gumballs and my underbody, boot, engine bay and most of the outerbody preparation has been done.
I wish I could find someone that could do a good job for $6000. Id grab it with both hands.
Merv, I asked one of the guys that quoted $12,000 what I could save if I went without stripes and gumballs, at least he said $2000 less.

Regards

Mando/Baz,

I believe you guys have been hood winked into your type of thinking by these paint shops. Why is it so hard to believe that I could get a quality job for $5,000??? You have not seen the guys work here and you don't know his reputation, so I don't think you can comment. All you can say is that where you are located, the painters are charging a LOT MORE than where I am.
And to suggest that they are involved in the drug trade!!! Come on guys..
It is a bit like property prices, you can't compare prices paid in Charleville to Sydney, even though it is the same basic commodity.

If you guys want to get charged an arm and a leg go ahead, but don't expect a quality job, just because you are paying a lot more.

I asked around and saw evidence of work performed and talked to the guy I am using first, even had him do some other work to properly assess the standard of finish. My painter does all of the rods and custom bikes and is second to none around here.
I wish you guys the best with your painters but don't mistake that cost = quality. It is not always the situation.

regards

Mick
Old 04-26-2009, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Mick the house price analogy is a reasonable one. People charge what they can in different places.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default comparing apples with apples

I think you guys have to consider the kit as well when you look at painting costs, this is not a criticism but, a CR has more surface to paint compared to a Harrison.

My paint cost about $12 000.00 plus the mural work that is a proper price including GST.

This included, full body prep, another set of doors (racing doors), engine bay and stone guard the underside.

I was fussy with the door gaps and had them redone twice so they were perfect.

The paint was House of colour pearl Black and Cobalt blue Kandy. There are 2 coats of the black base, then the mural, then 3 coats of the Kandy. The paint was then chopped and flow coated 3 times with clear.

The engine bay is finished off as per the outside, and the usual rough back side of the fiberglass was smoothed off as well.

When shown the paint job won best paint and best engine bay at the nationals and the car also won top Mural at summernats 21.

But if I had my time again it would be flat black with stick on stripes.

Phil
Old 04-26-2009, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like you got your money's worth there Phil with that special paint, the mural work, extra doors, and the stoneguarding for $12,000. It is a lovely car and a show winner!

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

I was bowled over to learn about the cost of painting a Cobra when I first inquired. To me, a lot of people just accept these numbers "because it's a Cobra". How someone can look at a car for a few minutes (or not at all) and come up with a number just shows that they build a lot of fat into the equation.

Is it fair to ask a few questions, such as a) how much for raw materials / consumables, b) how many man hours required, and c) the hourly rate?

Do many painters offer any kind of warranty? Eg, in the event of shrinkage within a certain time frame? I know one Melbourne painter who insists on doing the whole job himself to minimise any such claims, whereas others will let the owner do some of the prep.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: