Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     
Default Steering Rack Ball Joints.

Has anyone used or does anyone know if your allowed to use Spherical Joints to connect the steering rack arms to the front uprights? The ball joints I have are making contact with the inner rim, so I thought spherical joints might solve another of my little problems. I seem to remember Aussie Mike used this method but I couldnt find any pics in his gallery, maybe Im mistaken.

Regards.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

You thinking about this setup Mando?

The car was engineered with this setup and passed OK.

I used VP commodore rack ends which are thicker than the VL and VN ends. The screw straight into the end of the rack as they use the same ball joint on the end. The thread they use for the tie rod end is 16mm fine rather than 14mm for the VL VN ends. I shortened them and ran the thread futher along.

I then machined up some sleeves that have a 16mm fine thread in one end and a 5/8 UNF Left hand thread in the other end. Most of the readily available good quality rod ends are in imperial sizes so it was easer to go 5/8 Left hand.

The tapered hole in the arm I drilled out to 5/8" and ran a High tensile bolt through. There are a couple of conical shaped washers I machined up to ensure the rod end has full range of movement. If I did it again I'd probably buy the high angularity rod ends.

To adjust the toe you just loosen off the 2 lock nuts and rotate the sleeve. One of the things I like about it is for 1 turn of the sleeve you get double the movement. It means you can set it up so you have a big wange of adjustment whilst maintaining maximum thread engagement.

With this setup you dont need to drop the rack. moving the rod ends to the tops of the arms gets rid of a lot of the "droop steer" as Ian calls it. I've still got to do some proper measurements to prove it though.

It also solves the problem of the ball joint on the end of the rack getting pushed beyond it's max angle at full droop.

Cheers

Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike, thats the picture I was looking for. This might seem like a stupid question but what would happen if the new spherical joint had a female end on it. Wouldnt it screw straight into the steering rack arm?

Regards.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mando,

You can use a female rod end and screw it straight on. However the problem you are going to have is finding a good quality female rod end with a 16mm thread.

I've been using QA1 XM series rod ends in my car. They are strong (Chrome Molly) teflon and kevlar lined. They also have the lining injection molded into the rod end which makes it difficult for the dust and dirt to get into them.

QA1 don't list metric in that series but they do state they metric rod ends available. It'll be a special order and won't be an over the counter item here in Aus.

Aurora or one of the other quality brands may have something. Don't buy one of the nasty brass lined rod ends from off the rack at CBC bearings.

Cheers

Old 05-24-2009, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike, its all clear now!

Regards.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra, SC540 Roadster
Not Ranked     

Hi Mando,
Try Linear Bearings for your the rod ends. They supply quality rod ends in metric, they call them "Race Car Series"
They have an office in Sth Aust.

http://www.linearbearings.com.au/
Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip WKB. They carry the quality ones Mike described and are great to deal with

Regards.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great link WKB, thanks for that.

I've been keen on the idea of building a CNC plasma table one day. Those guys have a bunch of usefull stuff for that project.

Cheers

Old 05-25-2009, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike Do you ever turn the light out at night.
bruce
Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am a bit of a night owl. I seem to get by OK on 6 hours of sleep.

Cheers