Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     
Default Queensland Transport waiting lists

My saga with QT continues. I did engineering 6 weeks ago and all was fine and today I finally received my approval from QT to make an appointment for their final inspection. I called them straight away to do so, to be advised that I could not get an appointment until August 20th. Another 6-7 weeks, and 3 months in total. It is hard to believe that they are so busy and it makes hospital waiting lists look good!

The wait would be the same at any inspection station, I am advised and I have to trailer the car there as they said that even paying the CTP in advance, I could not be issued with a limited permit to drive the car there (only 10 kms for me). Groan - sorry for the whinge but who else would listen?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #77
Not Ranked     

Merv,
I am hearing you. Currently I to am waiting for my letter from QT with an invitation to visit the inspection station. Guess I had better arrange a trailer as well even though they are only less than 3km from home. Hopefully the waiting list for an appointment is a little shorter.

Lionel.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Merv,

Hang in there!

It took me about 3 months to get rego, including brake tests, emission tests etc.

At the time it took forever, but now that I look back it was just another step in building a kit car.

Ben
Old 07-03-2009, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

I guess many of us have been through this, but that does not make it right. I am also in a regional centre and hoped that would be faster. Our government departments should operate better. Still that's why we have elections ... hmmm.
Ben was that in QLD? I believe that emission tests are not needed to be done by Queensland Transport?

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Looks like Queensland transport is catching up with NSW RTA. We can't beat you at footy but we can do you all the time with bureacracy..ha ha ha ha ha
Old 07-03-2009, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

NSW Merv.

I was possibly the first to be caught in the web of emissions testing.

Evidently all new cars now must be emissions tested, and the NSW Rta official now makes a personal visit to your house for an inspection. Shouldn't they be putting their time into old dangerous heaps of junk rather than us?

Whilst I think this is totally unreasonable and ridiculous, at the end of the day we are lucky to be able to register a roadster with light weight, enormous horsepower (With a Chev!) and old school looks.

Go with the flow Merv! It will be worth it.

Ben
Old 07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes I am resigned to the time involved, although in my own work I could never tell the public to go away and wait for 6 months.

I can do a few tidy-up jobs on the car and a few embellishments. I was told that QT do not do emissions tests as that has been checked by the engineer.

Who knows ...

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Feeling your pain Merv. If/when I effectively finish the car, to have to wait 3-6 months with money in hand ready to go... that would sh1t me up the wall. Hang in there mate.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I got my notice to take it for inspection 2 months after engineering. But in the mean time I ended up in Texas. Hopefully back in 2 years.
Should I make my appointment now, they may be ready for when I get back
Old 07-04-2009, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Evidently all new cars now must be emissions tested,
Beejay, is your engine out of a car more then 3 years old? I spoke to an engineer last week (Kevin at Wyong) and he said that emmisions test was required if more than 3 years old. Can you by any chance remember roughly what this test costs?

Cheers.
Liam
Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is so much variation possible on these inspections: do you need a grille, bumper bar, or emissions testing? Sometimes, yes sometimes no. I am going to keep ringing every week to see if I can get an earlier inspection time from a cancellation.

Thanks for the support.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
There is so much variation possible on these inspections: do you need a grille, bumper bar, or emissions testing? Sometimes, yes sometimes no. I am going to keep ringing every week to see if I can get an earlier inspection time from a cancellation.

Thanks for the support.

Merv
Hi Merv,

Keep plugging away at "the Bureaucracy", you might get a break and sneak in earlier on a cancellation.

Speaking of variation, my inspector said "where's your front number plate illumination?". I said I've never seen a car with one and he ignored me and just kept in inspecting, I think he was trying me on. I just kept my trap shut after that.

Good luck.

I am about a week away from sending to the painter which takes about 2 months (sanding and painting). Lucky its damn cold and wet down here and I cant drive it so I wont miss it too much. Will be ready for summer.

Took it for a test drive tonight (just a shade over 10 degrees) after upgrading my Brake lines (little longer and braided) and pads to RB74 (front) and comp2 (rear) - stops real good now. After a few hard stops the brakes are only just getting slightly warm.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 07-05-2009, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Zedn,

My engine was within the three years, they seem to be sending everyone through at the moment. I think you will find that the NSW RTA doaes a personal inspection now too.

The emissions test is free, but can be difficult to pass. Unless all your sensors are working well and you have good factory cats you should pass.

I used Peter Gilliard as my engineer - I found him to be very good.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 07-05-2009, 01:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Zedn,

My engine was within the three years, they seem to be sending everyone through at the moment. I think you will find that the NSW RTA doaes a personal inspection now too.

The emissions test is free, but can be difficult to pass. Unless all your sensors are working well and you have good factory cats you should pass.

I used Peter Gilliard as my engineer - I found him to be very good.

Cheers,

Ben
My emission test was in Vic (by the engineer), but same recommendation as Beejay, use new Cats and you should be ok. My engineer said to me the ones who have come close to the wire or failed have had used/old cats.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The engineer checks that in QLD. Have been through all that. It is just the time and there are so many 'little' jobs that can be done ... One of our members was asked to get a Safety Certificate - when that is the main outcome of the QT inspection! Another was required to get his car weighed. That is also not needed here.

Time to get back to the hardtop!

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.