Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default Real Chevy AC cobra

Does this mean that chevs in Cobras are now legit?. Buy yaself a ridgy didge AC with a chev.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/4454.html

I do like the hardtop.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I like that hard top too Les

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Poor souls... so keenly seeking validation that Lubinsky's promises look good...

just hold your breath until the first one is delivered - your pain will be gone

(I like the hard top too)

LoBelly

Last edited by LoBelly; 08-31-2009 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: got the smiley wrong <doh>
Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

I'd be more than happy to have the Gullwing 1954 Mercedes 300SL with a 7Ltr LS.

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/303...00sl-replicas/

That would make a classic daily driver.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
Does this mean that chevs in Cobras are now legit?. Buy yaself a ridgy didge AC with a chev.
Vindication for the Dark Side?

Cheers
Old 08-31-2009, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

It will never happen - outside Australia of course. Ford and Cobra are too intertwined ...

But Les - you cannot be serious - a Gullwing with a Chevy donk? That will never happen. Mercs should have a Merc motor, as the one in the URL does. It is soooo nice. I recently drove the new AMG C63. What a car! 7-speed 'box and 6.3 litre twin cam V8 redlined at 7000. And it howls! Made more noise than my Cobra and is seriously fast - a real beast. I am seriously thinking that Sharon may need one of those soon.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
But Les - you cannot be serious - a Gullwing with a Chevy donk? That will never happen. Merv
Merv, there was a time when even the thought of putting a chev in a cobra was sufficient justification for some folks to threaten a lynching.

And .. where are we today ... AC's being produced standard with a CHEV powerplant.

Modern times demand modern powerplants.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

I dunno Les. That 'modern' Cobra on that 'site looks like the cars on that 'Pimp my Ride" program. A sad caricature of the original.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I dunno Les. That 'modern' Cobra on that 'site looks like the cars on that 'Pimp my Ride" program. A sad caricature of the original.

Merv
Yeah, tis a bit fancy for us oldè types Merv. But some of these youngsters building cobras today have equal fancy ideas for interiors.

However, as LoBelly mentioned, rumor has it Lubinsky is said to be as straight as a goat path up the Himalayas so it remains if these will actually hit the market.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ACs are manufactured by two companies:

There's the German built AC Mk VI with the LS3 Corvette engine - carbonfibre body, garish interior, wrong shape - an AC in name only:

http://http://www.accars.de/

and the traditional aluminium 'Continuation' cars built by AC Heritage at Brooklands, England:

http://www.acheritage.co.uk/newbuildcobra427.html
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
....and the traditional aluminium 'Continuation' cars built by AC Heritage at Brooklands, England:
Using the term 'Continuation' when referring to AC is a bit of an intellectual stretch for me.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Much could be said here, but maybe best to remain silent for the time being.

But for the record the car in question is based on a UK replica called a Dax (looks the same, twice the price) The replica was built by Gullwing in Germany - that also produces a nice recreation of the Mercedes of that ilk - and a deal has been done to allow it to use the AC logo. Does that make it an AC?
That gullwing hardtop seems to have disappeared which may or may not be connected to the fact that it was designed (and patented?) for the Dax. I know the guy who designed it was none too impressed when those photos surfaced.

The Mk6 was brought to the UK for the press to drive and is featured, sort of, in the current issue of Octane magazine as part of a large feature about the Cobra (www.octane-magazine.com) Said mag also has an article about the Malta-built AC MkV.....
Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
Using the term 'Continuation' when referring to AC is a bit of an intellectual stretch for me.
Agreed, but AC Heritage (aka Brooklands Motor Company) is a quality outfit run by a genuine AC enthusiast, Steve Gray. building cars in the traditional manner at the historic racetrack at Brooklands. If I had the money (£160k - ), I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his cars.

Mind you, I might decide to save £70k and buy this aluminium Kirkham built by Hawk Cars! The quintessential British sportscar.

On the Mk VI, let us just say that it is causing some controversy in the AC Owners Club at present. What they'll think about the Iconic AC Roadster is probably unprintable!

http://www.iconicmotors.com/web/index.php

Last edited by london; 08-31-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Photos added
Old 08-31-2009, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very interesting thread. Cobras from past to present, real to 'continuation' to 'Cobra-like', have all been intimately entwined with the personalities of their constructors. That is what creates this kind of debate and in some ways allows each of us to present a degree of diversity in our own builds. If they were all the same - would we still want one? It all depends how far we want to move from an original concept.

And thanks Trevor and London for the rundown and great photos above.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

For anyone wanting to own a 427 or 289 ali-bodied car as close to the real deal as possible then an AC Heritage car is the one to buy. As good as it gets, or better than it got!

However - I arrive to take part in the shoot for the Octane feature driving that actual Kirkham above. Also present were a Superformance MkIII and a Gardner Douglas, the 'replica' (not a copy of a Cobra other than borrowing the body shape to some degree) that uses the same Corvette engine as the 'Mk6'. The presence of the replicas was of great interest to the true enthusiasts who were there. The GD gives about 30mpg on a run and is a great car for long cruises. £42,000. The guys from Octane were impressed, naturally, so look for a feature about these three cars in the future!

The Kirkham and I arrived at the Brooklands museum soaking wet having survived a massive cloudburst on the motorway (interstate) One of the more scary moments as everyone slowed to 40mph or less and I couldn't see the car in front or behind or beside me! But we both survived. However the drive back to base in Kent was one of the best drives of my life - country roads, sky blue, clouds white 'n fluffy.....just brilliant. If I came across traffic I just went down another road. Why would anyone not buy one of those??? Too much fun to be legal.

I believe mention has been made re the Iconic (Ironic?) badge-engineered automobile. For numerous reasons I'm keeping out of the discussion for now but I can say that there are folk who want the club to disassociate itself from badge-engineering as almost anything (!) can be an AC in the future which will not reflect well on the marque now that replicas carry the logo. (Not necessarily my opinion, only repeating what I've been told. Keep Calm and Carry On)
Old 09-01-2009, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trevor - you must have one of the best collections of Cobra photos around. I agree with regard to the GD. The are one of the best put together body replicas I have seen. Looking forward to that issue of Octane arriving here. They have some seriously good photographers and a sense of the line of a car.

Merv

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Trevor - you must have one of the best collections of Cobra photos around. Merv
Merv, Dunno if you are aware but Trevor is the author/Photographer of at least a couple of books about Cobras. Looked upon as a bit of an authority of things AC/Cobra/GT40/Shelby.

Google his name and you'll find his publications.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, Les I have the books. Every Cobra owner/builder should have them..

Cheers,

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Feel free to google me any time.......
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Me again

Can I just also send my condolensces to all you racer types down there in Oz regarding the sad passing of Frank Gardner, for my money one of the best 'proper' race drivers of all time and a guy who knew how to drive a Mustang! The races I saw at Brands Hatch were just amazing and his interviews after he'd won were legendary (and unable to be censored...)

Also have to record the passing of Ken Rudd who will be known to anyone who knows the early history of the Cobra and the AC Ace. I used to go to college next to his AC and Alfa showrooms so I'd hear the Cobras passing my window which usually rattled. It's his fault I caught the Cobra bug!! Seems all the good guys are moving on....