Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default GEC Nationals 2009?

I noticed quite a few QLD regulars aren't doing the Nats this year for various reasons and was wondering what the attendance list was looking like comapred to last year???

Phil????

SpookyPT!
Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Attendance is good.

We are at 90ish for the track and 11 for the cruise.

When we started working on the nationals we assumed the numbers would drop off with the economic crisis we are in. The attendance is interesting, alot of the regulars are not coming.

I am hoping we can get a few more cruisers though, so if anyone is interested in coming along for this please get your entry in.

Phil
Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default track cars

geez Phil..... I was thinking with the cruise option there was going to be more track time for the racer guys but it seems people are still really keen to track their cars!

Last edited by spookypt; 09-08-2009 at 06:35 PM..
Old 09-04-2009, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Although now being without cobra, I still think that it is reasonable for me to suggest that Matt/Spook you take your freakin' hand off it.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardferguson View Post
Although now being without cobra, I still think that it is reasonable for me to suggest that Matt/Spook you take your freakin' hand off it.
Gee Fergs.... you seem now that you are cobraless to have a serious infatuation with my hand and what I do with it....

So just for you...

"Imagine the back of my hand, middle finger raised."

Hope that helps!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now now boys……

I attend the Nationals purely as a spectator. I’ve always loved Cobras but for some reason, probably my frame being too large and my bank balance too small, I’ve never owned one although my son has owned two RMCs. So if I may be permitted my .02 cents worth….

For many years I owned a variety of Austin Healeys. I lost interest in them, or perhaps the local club, because of the “originality” mentality. Any track work was frowned upon especially if it meant upgrading performance specs, improving braking, ditching those fragile wire wheels, installing roll bars etc.

The arrival of the Cobra was like a dream come true. A muscle-bound Healey shape, a V8, made for racing---everything the Healey should have evolved into before it was killed off by US safety legislation. I used to buy the UK car mags purely to read Rod Leach’s Nostalgia ads and lust over the Cobras listed there.

Today, although sadly still not a Cobra owner, I derive huge pleasure from watching the modern day Cobras on the track, and of course seeing the Queensland guys take out more than their fair share of the goodies at the Nationals! We’ve moved on from the wild West Wyalong days but I wonder if now we’re spending too much time on the support events, the hill climb and the go to whoa. Should these now be consigned to the old car club days along with the spear a spud and blindfold gymkhana events, or at least reduce the time available for them?

Again, I’m only a spectator, so I don’t have the financial and emotional commitment of the competitors, and additionally let me say that I fully appreciate and understand the huge amount of planning that goes into organising a programme for the Nationals that will appeal to the majority of entrants and others attending. However if I had built a car that was track or performance biased and had taken a week off work to travel to Goulburn, I’d rather forego the hill climb in return for being assured of more than a handful of sprint laps to justify my efforts in attending the event.

From a non-competitor’s point of view, I applaud the idea of the “Cruise” this year, but it’s on the same day as the sprints, the highlight of the meeting! Not that I’d go on the cruise, for me the on-track stuff is why I come to the Nats, but I walk around the pits and take the opportunity to examine and admire the many beautiful cars when the non-sprint events are on I must admit.

It seems likely that the Nationals’ most exciting car, the Walther Wakefield weapon will not be there this year. Could this be because of the limited track time? I haven’t spoken to Gary so I don’t know. I realise it’s a delicate balancing act but has the time now come to cut some of the froth and bubble stuff and give some of the big boys, some of the track-specific machinery, more exposure? Again, from a spectator’s viewpoint, I know darn well what I’d rather watch!

OK so having said all that, I’ll be there again this year--wouldn’t miss it! It’s a terrific opportunity to get away from the everyday, and meet up with like-minded enthusiasts.
I hope the organisers don’t take this as undeserved criticism of their sterling efforts, it’s most definitely not meant that way. It’s maybe just a little something to mull over for the coming years.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

HI Donunder,

I am the NSW Cobra Club president and the Coordinator for this years nationals.
I welcome your comments and don’t take this as undeserved criticism.

I am glad you have lost your interest in Healeys, and your reasons are exactly what I love about Replica cobras. They are so diverse where customizing and upgrading their performance is encouraged. I also love watching them on the track and most of all racing my own car when ever I can.

I am disappointed that Gary is not attending the Nationals, for what reason I do not know. I did enjoy seeing the car on the track and most importantly meeting Gary a nicer bloke you cannot find. It would be interesting to see why, as that nationals should be for all cobra enthusiasts.

I will take your view point on board and present it at the review post the event.

As you have mentioned it is not an easy task planning and hosting the nationals. I hope that you appreciate that we listen to the cobra community and as with every year continued to provide an event that is fresh and fulfills the expectations of the majority.

The nationals are more then just the sprints, for most the “support” events take priority. The events should not be just about the big boys, the little boys need a run as well. The appeal of the Nationals is that everyone has a chance, the once a year racer has a real opportunity to win a trophy in the froff and bubble stuff.

Please seek me out at the nationals as I would like to catch up with you and have a chat about this issue.

If it was that easy the Queenslanders would host the Nationals.

Phil
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
If it was that easy the Queenslanders would host the Nationals. Phil
Wot! ... is that a challenge to our very own Pres extraordinaire Wazza?.

Phil, you would have to get yourself in shape should the sunny state host the nationals. The wet t-shirt competition is outstandingly competitive.

I'm all for it .... C'mon Wazza .. I suggest Lakeside Park for the track guys. Cruise up to Melany for the street cars, Norths Leagues and Services club at Kallangur for the boozers and social.

Lakeside Aug 09: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSUaS...eature=related

Yeah, I can see it now. Those Southerners would have no hope.

Last edited by Rebel1; 09-09-2009 at 06:49 PM..
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #73 with an L76 6 litre CHEV, T56, 6SPEED,R32 Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Default QLD Nationals

What a great idea Les!!!

Maybe a truly National, Nationals, would be to have each State Chapter run them i.e. NSW 2009, QLD 2010, VIC 2011, SA 2012, WA 2013, NT 2014, TAS 2015 etc...

Has it ever been talked about before?

Mick
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
Please seek me out at the nationals as I would like to catch up with you and have a chat about this issue.
Thanks for the reply Phil.
Looking forward to having a yarn with you.

Cheers, Don.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

If it is in Vic or NSW I will turn right at my driveway, if it is in QLD then I will turn left.

Either way sounds good to me.

If it is in the NT then I think it will need to be Darwin, no circuit in Alice, unless we all race down the Finke track, that will sort the races from the waxers.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I'd LOVE to have it here in Queensland......and it's been talked about many times...and I'm sure it will be discussed again over the next few weeks.

I've always said that Queensland could also host a great Nationals, but it would make it a bit hard for the Mexicans(Vics) to come all that way.

I guess it makes more sense to have it "in the middle" in N.S.W., but if I was convinced that we'd get a good roll up from the South, I'd do it.

Queensland Raceway , Ipswich??.....Morgan Park Raceway, Warwick??...both good.....

I'm sorry but you'd all have to put up with the excellent Queensland spring weather....
...I know how you southeners LOVE the wet / cold / windy stuff !!...but I'm sure you could adapt.

If N.S.W. didn't always do such a brilliant job, we'd probably have a chance of enticing a move to the North every so often.

The idea of the rotating between the states sounds reasonable as well.

Let's talk !!!

Cheers,
Warren.