Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-19-2010, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 1969 392w, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     
Default Wheels again...

Here's another wheel question. From the different posts I've read, the backspacing seems to vary depending on who you talk to. I want to use 15" wheels... 8" wide on the front and 10" wide on the back. Some posts say use the 4-1/2" backspacing for the fronts and backs... even though the wheels are not the same depth. Then I've read to use a deeper backspacing on the rears because they're deeper. This second opinion came right from Karen at B&B. I believe she told me 4-1/2" backspacing on the front... 6" on the rear. Do I need to measure the width of my narrowed 9" rear end and see if it's the same width as the custom, tubular front end? I do not want to screw this up. I'm guessing that once you tell them how to make 'em, they're yours... right or not.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

You are right. Once you tell them what back spacing you want you own them if they are custom made, at least that's the way mine were from Team III. I really don't think you can go with 8" in the front without some rubbing problems. You didn't say what size tires you were going to use and do you have the B and B narrowed 9"?

I can tell you what I went through as I spent a long, long time, on this issue. I am still building my car but have mounted the tires and wheels on the car when the body was on to see how they came out. I read all the threads on the subject to, but I felt it was to risky doing what so and so said as taste vary, and I have seen some bad setups. First I had to decide where I wanted the tire to set in relation to the fender lip. I wanted the bulge or section width of the tire, (not the tread), even with the outside edge of the fender lip and I wanted this to be close to the same front and rear.
FRONT
For the front I felt there really wasn't much of an option. This being that 4.5 back spacing was the greatest backspacing Team III could make them for the fronts. If you go with 8" wheels on the front this will push the tires outside the fender lips and you may have some rubbing. I also went with 235 tires on the front. For the fronts I believe B and B recommends 7" wheels with 4.5 back spacing, and 225 tires. I layed it all out on paper including the rim mounting surface, fender lip, wheel mounting point with the camber correct, and got the specs on the tire midsection. I ended up with 7" wheels with 4.5 back spacing. This lay out on paper really requires attention to detail and no errors. Keep in mind that a 7" wheel is the inside so it is really close to 8" outside to outside. Back spacing is wheel mounting surface to backside outside of the rim. As it turned out my fronts turned out pretty close to what I wanted.
REAR
For the rears you are right back spacing for 8" and 10" wheels does not work out the same. In an ideal world the body is centered in the frame and the axle is also centered in the frame. So you need to check both on each side to see where you set. Again, I got the measurement from the fender lip to the wheel mounting surface on the axle, and layed those two points out on paper first. Once you have that mounting surface you can lay out various wheel back spacings and then enter in the section width of the tire. Then you can see where the tire will come in relation to your fender lip. I used 10" wheels with 295 tires. The section width of the tires was 12.5". Advertised section width and actual may be a little different, and the same tire mounted on different width wheels will effect section width. For my taste 5.25 back spacing is just about right. Keep in mind many wheel companies only go to 5.5 back spacing for a 10" wheel. Also, if you have the bump stops on the rear the tire will hit the bump stop before the tire could hit the body.

These are just some ideas you might consider.

Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 06-20-2010 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 06-20-2010, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B,351w
Not Ranked     

I went through the same issues you did. Purchased the car which had 17x8's all the way around with incorrect backspacing.

Took my time with the measurements and ordered set from team III in San Leandro.

I have a 2007 B&B with the shortened 9" rear and front tubular suspension. I went with 15 x7 in the front with 4 1/2" back side setting and 3 1/2" on the front side.

For the rears, 15x10 with 5 1/4" back side and 5 3/4" front side. I have 235/60/15 Firestone's in the front and they rub at full crank on the inside of the fender wheels. Rear's are perfect, running 295/50/15.

Here are some pics