Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     
Default Tire and Wheel sizes?

I'm getting ready to buy new rear tires and I will be going from the original tires and wheels which are: 275/50/15 on a 8" width wheel
To ( I hope) a 295/50/15 with a 10" width wheel.
I see a potential tight spot for the tire section width. If you are looking at the right rear at 2 o'clock there is only about 1.5 inches of available area on the inside at the fiberglass body. The rest has good clearance. The 295 is about 1" wider with the same wheel(8") but if I go to a 10" it could become wider. I know tire manufactures have different dimensions for the same tire.
Could you guys give me some help with this for a B&B upgrade?
What is everybody running?
The 275s are getting scarce and I would like to go to a 295.
Would a 295 look good on an 8" width wheel?
I have Weld pro stars.
Thanks
Lou
Old 11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Lou, I have 295s with 10" rims on mine. At that point you are talking about I have about 1" or a little bigger between the tire at the fender well. I think the 10" wheels work best with 5 1/4" to 5 3/8" back spacing. The section width of my tires is 12 1/2", and yes they do vary. I have found that all of these B&Bs are not the same. They vary by how the trunk panel and the cockpit panels were installed. Also check your body to see if it's the same distance at the fender lips from side to side. If it's off it would be better to set the tires in further with greater back spacing so it's not so obvious.

Wayne
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Wayne thanks for another round of great advice from you. Oh by the way, I did make the quadrant, It works great, Thanks.
The 8" wheel I have on now has a 4.5" BS with a 275 tire. The tire is at the outer edge of the fender. If I were to put a 295 on the wheel I would need 5" BS to get the .5" [1" total width .5" on each end] back at the edge of the fender. Now, if I use a 10" wheel the 5" BS turns into a 7" BS and there lies the problem, Weld Wheel does not make a 7 BS only a 6.5 or 7.5. The 7.5 will most likely bring the tire in too far hitting that 2 o'clock area.. The 6.5 will hang the tire out .5" of the fender. aaaarrrrggg!!!
Possibly a 7.5" BS with a .5" spacer, but I would have to look at the stud length.
I'm ready to just install my Tri-ax shifter its easier on my brain right now!!!
Lou
Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Lou,

I am not familiar with B&B, so this may not apply.

Have you looked into a 9.5" rear wheel? A lot of cars run them with the 295 tire. It's a little bit narrower, but that might be all you need, just a thought.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I am running 295's with a 9" wheel and 4-1/2 backspace. I did have a rub when I cornered hard at the exact place you are describing. I had to cut the wheel well and fiberglass a section for clearance, so don't just check while it is standing still!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lou, Larry is correct. There are further issues that we need to know. If you have the earlier four link with the large rubber bushings, that rear end will shift somewhat during cornering. I think you most likely do. Also, do you have the standard B&B narrowed 9" axle. The reason I asked this is the figures your are stating do not seem to make sence with the 9" narrowed axle.

Wayne
Old 11-10-2010, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larry, Good point.
Wayne, I have the 8.8 with triangulated 4 link, that is the reason for the different numbers.
The 295 are going to be close. I may just stay with 275s and hope they keep making them and go with a real soft compound. I'll put the money in the tire quality. I'm looking for better traction.
Any thoughts??
Lou
Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think there are more options in 275s than in 295s. I would stay with what you have.

Wayne