Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Lower B&B Radiator Hose with a 302

After being off from building the car for about eight months for various reasons I am trying to get back into it. I'm evaluating how to do the lower radiator hose. I decided not to use the stainless flex hose as the joint at the radiator needs to angle up about 22 1/2 deg. at that point without going down further. It looks like I will go with the exhaust tubing method with the 90 deg. bend going up to the water pump.

I am guessing I will go with the standard water pump lower hose and cut it to connect to the tubing going down. Do any of you know the part number for the short 1 3/4" hose connecting the radiator to the tubing? I am trying to save hours of looking at hoses at the parts stores. It looks like it needs a 22 1/2 deg. bend in it.

The reason I decided to go with the tubing is it seems to be the best method to get it up higher out of the way. I may even crush it a little with my press where it goes under the frame to get it up higher. If any of you have pictures that would help.

Thanks.
Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 02-07-2012 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 07-10-2011, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

THis is not the same as your application but shows what can be done.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 07-10-2011, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, that is good work.

Wayne
Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lower B&B Radiator Hose

I lucked out and found the right hose pretty quick. I found that Gates hose 20609 works really well and you can get the upper and lower pieces out of this one hose. This is a pretty common hose and fits a ton of Ford vans and some dodges.

I did what others had done and got a piece of 1 3/4" aluminized muffler tubing bent. I had seen that tread on making a tool that would dimple the end of the tubing to make a hose stop if that's what you call it. I had also seen over on the FFR forum where a guy used a few wraps of wire and some JB Weld to make the stop. I decided to do a version of that.

I noticed that coat hangers were just about the right size to make the stop. I bent them around a 1 1/2" piece of tubing and let them overlap. I then forced them over my 1 3/4" tubing and cut them so the two ends met. I sanded the tubing and the coat hanger with 80 grit and put a coat of JB Weld around the ring. I think it should work pretty good. I will give it a try.

Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 07-21-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: fixed
Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

It's amazing how many different ways we find to do things while building these cars!
Very interesting, I'll be interested in knowing how this works out.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Finished Hose

This is the finished hose. No doubt the stainless flexible hose would have looked better but I believe at the connection of the radiator it would have hung down lower. As it turned out it is all higher than the bottom of the main frame. I guess I am more practicle than flash.

Wayne

Last edited by Wbulk; 07-21-2011 at 03:58 PM..
Old 07-21-2011, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, FR302
Not Ranked     

Looks great! Actually it looks just like mine. The only difference is that I have a friend that’s a Tinner. He was able to roll a bead on each end of the pipe for me. I recently installed a new Griffin Aluminum Radiator. The bottom hose always leaked. When I disassembled it the bottom tube had a straight cut on one end and a flare on the other without a bead.

On your car is the radiator connection smaller diameter than the tube diameter? Mine is 1.5” on the Rad. and 1.75” tube. I really like your idea of the hanger bonded with JB! That should do the job, very creative!

Roger

Last edited by NFLDMNBB; 07-21-2011 at 08:56 AM..
Old 07-21-2011, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Wayne, It's hard to tell how much space you have between your frame and the tube, but you may want to put a rubber pad in between.
It took me almost a year to figure out what that rattle was when I punched it and the torque caused the two to rattle together!
It looked fine sitting there without going down the road!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Roger, mine is 1 3/4" on both the hose and the radiator.

Larry, it's just about 5/16" of a gap. I was thinking about that, thanks for reminding me. The other option I was pondering was just welding a bracket to the tube and then bolting it to the under side of the K member.

Wayne
Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took the easy way out. All I did was to cement a part of the radiator hose that I had cut off to the top of the tube where you couldn't see it. Solved my raddle and allowed the tube to move as much as needed.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B
Not Ranked     

90'd out of the radiator towards the passenger side and went over the cross member. it doesn't sound like anybody else has had problems with the lower hose getting hit but i didn't want to find out the hard way.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I'm working on a 351W B&B in my shop. Just a bunch of maintain items.

Last week I reworked the lower tube by cutting, reshaping and welding it back together so the radiator end is 1 1/2" in diameter to match the radaitor.

I think I will install a rubber pad between the frame and tubing. Thanks for the tip.

Dwight