Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 12:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 5.0 roller W/carb & T-5 WC
Not Ranked     
Default Bump Steer

Can someone please help me clarify which bump steer kit to use. I am in the understanding this is a Pinto-Mustang II rack and spindle set up. I ordered the Steeda kit for Fox body Mustang and discovered they didn't fit (wrong threads). Also I would like to verify when upgrading the rack and front brakes do I use Pinto-Mustang II rack and front brake application for parts?
Thanks for any help!!

Last edited by MacGyver; 07-03-2014 at 12:55 AM..
Old 07-03-2014, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I must ask why is a bump steer kit needed for your car? Usually B&Bs don't' need bump steer kits. Could there be something else wrong?

Added: Can you tell us what year your car is?

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger

Last edited by Wbulk; 07-03-2014 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Added
Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Have you actually measured your bump steer? If not, then that should be your first step.

If you don't have any and you add a kit, you'll create some.

If you do have some bump steer, installing the kit with the wrong spacers will make it worse.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

All the parts I have purchased for mine are early mustang II parts.
Mine does not have a bump steer problem, I'm wondering why yours may.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick replies, I have been away for the holiday.
I have a definitive chatter in the steering wheel over bumps that worsens with speed. The car sits very low, the lower control arm is angled upwards and I do not have a rag joint. All steering components are tight. I admit I don't know how to measure the bump steer but I have an appointment with a very good front end shop and look forward to their info. I have been told the rack end should be parallel to the lower control arm, looking at mine they are as much as 3/4 an inch at the outside. Any help with what they should be would be greatly appreciated.
Another question regards sway bars, my car has none. The rear lower control arms have a 2 bolt vertical bracket that as I understand is for sway bar mounts. My main question is what application works for the front and do I really need them?
Thanks again for any help.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the quick replies, I have been away for the holiday.
I have a definitive chatter in the steering wheel over bumps that worsens with speed. The car sits very low, the lower control arm is angled upwards and I do not have a rag joint. All steering components are tight. I admit I don't know how to measure the bump steer but I have an appointment with a very good front end shop and look forward to their info. I have been told the rack end should be parallel to the lower control arm, looking at mine they are as much as 3/4 an inch variable at the outside. Any help with what they should be would be greatly appreciated.
Another question regards sway bars, my car has none. The rear lower control arms have a 2 bolt vertical bracket that as I understand is for sway bar mounts. My main question is what application works for the front and do I really need them?
Thanks again for any help.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

I must ask again what year is your car. There were B&B cars built from May 2009 through Jan. 2010 that had defective front suspensions. The lower control arms were located in the wrong place. They were to low at the frame mounting points. This would cause bump steer. I had the problem with mine and fixed it. I got the correct measurements from the previous partner, Barry McGill. I also created a how to fix it MS word document with pictures. This may or may not be your problem.

Before the fix. Notice the lower inside mounting point is at the bottom corner.

This is after the fix with the lower A arms moved up to the correct location on the frame. The upper shock mounting points were also in the wrong place.

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger

Last edited by Wbulk; 07-12-2014 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-2014, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply, mine is a 2002 model and I believe more resembles the second picture. That being said I will have to go check and confirm, I am away from the car now.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     

Your question about sway bars has not been answered. Basically, if you are happy with the way your car goes around curves then you don't need them. You will have a more comfortable ride without them. However, if you drive fast enough to get the tires to slide, you will find out that your car leans a lot and that the front end probably slides first giving you "understeer". To set the car up for racing, you will need front and rear swaybars so that you can get the slide to be balanced or "neutral". It took several different attempts to get the right size bars on my car to achieve that even breakaway. I have ended up with a 1" front bar and a 3/4" rear bar. This can be "fine tuned" with tire pressures. An autocross (or Solo 2) course is the best place to test this.

RS