Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Leecbr
  • 1 Post By gleslie
  • 1 Post By TexasSnake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Roadster. Ford 351W/427 & Holley TBI 950
Not Ranked     
Default B&B suspension upgrade ?

I have a year 2000 B&B and the previous owner put spacers in the front springs to increase clearance for the 235-60-15 tires.

Does anyone know the spring rates used back in mid 2000 ?

Anyone know the approximate weight of the car and front/rear distribution ? (the 351W has iron world product heads)

I'm assuming that going to new and higher spring rates would be a good option and for more $$$ adjustable coil over shocks would be even better, but possibly cost prohibitive.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.
George
Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Ford FE from Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

What suspension setup are you currently running on your B&B. Car?
Old 08-04-2017, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Unfortunately I don't know as previous owner gave me zero documentation
It appears to be a Mustang II front end and coil springs on rear.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4 427 roadster
Not Ranked     

I purchased my B&B from a local owner. I had the same problem with my front suspension (mustang 2), it had small 7 inch springs with spacers up top with the stock stamped lower control arms. The springs were soft and I would get tire rubbing on hard dips or bumps. So I decided to upgrade my front suspension and chose single adjustable Qa1 coilovers. Part numbers: QA1-MS303-08500 and thrust bearings QA1-7888-109. The coilover kit I purchased came with 500lb springs. The thrust bearings made it simple to adjust the ride height.

It was tight getting the springs into place and it raised my front end up an inch because the Qa1 lock nut/ adjustment lock was thicker than the previous/replaced coilover lock nut. I couldn't lower the Qa1's to the desired height because lock/adjustment nuts hit the lower control arms.. I'm running 235/60 R15 cooper cobras tires up front.

Other than that the ride has been very comfortable being able to adjust the dampening and rebound. I have mine set at 10 clicks. I also upgraded the rears with single adjustable Qa1's shocks as well and have them set at 10 clicks also. You will have to play with the clicks to find your desired ride comfort. I'm running 275/60r 15 cooper cobra tires on the rear. There are a few forum discussions about spring rate for our B&B's I ended up purchasing 12 inch 250 lb springs for the rear.
cdnus likes this.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would highly recommend switching out your front suspension to a coilover setup like or similar to what Leecbr identified in his post. My car was produced with Carrera coilovers front and rear so I have not had to deal the issues you are facing. I can tell you that my car is a pleasure to drive and handles great. You also may also want to consider the tire and wheel setup you are running so that you can maximize your tire size and wheel clearance. I'm running 245/45/17 front tires and 315/35/17 rears with no clearance issues. I worked with Bob Lacey from Vintage Wheels on the tire and wheel package and could not be more pleased with the results. Running American Racing Vintage 427 wheels and Nitto 555 Extreme tires.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Gents, that was very helpful info.

I was looking at the QA1 coilovers and good to know the spring rate and clicks you used. I noticed McGill now offers the Carrera's as an upgrade & I've heard good things about the Nitto tires. I currently have the BF Goodrich 235/60-15 front and 295/50-15 on the rear. The extra inch from the QA1's on front would be good for me as I only have 2 inches from tire to fender now.

I am curious.. are coil overs noticeably better than a properly sprung coil spring with shock inside ?
Old 08-05-2017, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK4 427 roadster
Not Ranked     

Hi Gleslie,

This is my second B&B cobra. My first one had the coil spring and shock in the center. I can't remember what brand was on it but I upgraded that front suspension with the Qa1 kit above. The rear suspension on that first car had the large cargo coil spring and gabriel shock. So I just replaced with a heavier Moog Cargo coil spring and new shocks. That was a nightmare I had to cut the new coil spring to get the desired ride height. It took about three tries cutting a small section each time then reinstall.

I was pleased with the results on the first cobra so I purchased the same Qa1 front kit the second time around. I've talked to Barry McGill on many occasions. He built a custom aluminum radiator and side pipes for my first car. Barry and Karen are good people great resource for replacement parts, part numbers and advice.

My front tire to fender is a tad above 3 inches. I forgot to mention that you will need the spanner wrenches too. The part number provided has both thrust bearings and spanner wrenches. QA1-7888-110.

Good luck.

Last edited by Leecbr; 08-05-2017 at 08:58 PM..
Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Lee, I appreciate the extra info. Sounds like I have the same suspension as what you had on your first B&B. I may try just having new front springs installed that have a higher rate, unfortunately, I havent been able to find out what rate I currently have on it. I hope to sweet talk the lady at our nearby dump to let me get on the scale and determine total weight and front end weight. Thanks!
Leecbr likes this.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think you should call Barry McGill at McGill Manufacturing. From my experience Barry has always been accessible and for years was the the go to guy for technical support regarding the B&B car. I'm confident that he can answer your suspension and spring rate questions.
Leecbr likes this.