Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I just bought an aluminum radiator fron Northern Radiator. They have a great product and for 189.00 will take minimum mods to install. It is 24 inches wide by 19inches tall.
John
Old 07-01-2005, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics (B&B) Cobra, 408W, Roush Heads, Demon Carb, Comp Cam, Tremec Z-Spec T5, 9" Auburn Rear
Not Ranked     

All,

This has been an informative thread, and I am getting close to replacing my Mustang radiator with an aluminum unit with puller. Just to clarify, has anyone found a DROP IN aluminum radiator that uses the stock mounting locations in the B&B chassis? This would require someone to weld on mounting flanges to the radiator that marry to the chassis flanges. If someone can do this, I am all over it.

Thanks,

/Chris
Old 07-05-2005, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     

After going one of the few car events that I goto every year, I think it is time to install an aluminum radiator. In talking to a couple of guys that run the 428cj engines, they told me when they made that switch and made all the differece in the world. I would be interested in seeing if Griffin could make a drop in radiator to work. Heck if it meant pulling the one in there now & sending it to them get all the correct measurements, I think I might do it. Also, from the BAMA contigent ( thanks mike), Mike suggested that I change the fan setup on mine (using the one puller fan behind the radiator) to a stock 2002 Dodge Viper fan motor. According to Mike, It almost doubles what the current fan is doing currently. If the fan will work, I think I might go with both options. One thing I've noticed on these cars is you can never be too careful about the cooling systems.

J.A.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     

J.A.,

The one from B&B is a Griffin. Unfortunately, the only way to get it grom Griffin is through B&B. I may just buck up and buy it from B&B.

Tom
Old 07-05-2005, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom:

Gee, do they have the exclusive right to sell the radiator? Seems to me passing the buck gets reeeeeeeally expensive to the guy on the bottom. Maybe we can sell our originals back to B & B to offset some of the costs? Thanks for the info Tom.

J.A.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics (B&B) Cobra, 408W, Roush Heads, Demon Carb, Comp Cam, Tremec Z-Spec T5, 9" Auburn Rear
Not Ranked     

Another idea: We all have a vested interested in B&B doing well and staying in business. That vested interest is the re-sale value of our cars. Your car is worth a bunch more if the company that built it still exists and makes parts/services the car for the next owner. For this reason, I try to patronize B&B when I can. However, I agree with you that their aftermarket parts can be way too expensive. This radiator is an example. Why don't we plead our case to Bryan and Barry?? There are obviously a number of us that would be willing to buy aluminum radiators from them right away if they would be willing to reduce the price. I think a fair price is the price of the Griffin + some nominal additional amount for the fabrication required to add the mounting tabs. Say...$50?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris/Tom/etc/inquiring minds/Paul Harvey:

I'm in let me know who is going to call. Have the # saved on my cell for just the occasion If you guys want to appoint a designated spokes person or do you think call in masses would hammer the point home better. Let us know which one might work better One of us places an order for 10 + & ask for a volume discount.

Chris: I see where you are coming from & that makes some sense to me. But one thing that I guess is typical anywhere you go, I feel like somethings you get nickel & dimed to death. I guess where I'm coming from is the guys that had the griffins put in there car '68 mustang was about $330. Just using that as a base (ball park), the $ 750 does not feel right. BTW, Wouldn't Griffin waranty the radiator if something happens to it not B & B? Don't misinterprete (happens a lot on this forum here lately), I don't mind the mfg making a profit just as long as it seems reasonable. I think that is what we are all driving at here.

J.A.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

J.A. and gang...

I received a part number for the Griffin radiator that another owner used. I called Griffin to try to order it, and they told me that the radiator was exclusive to B&B. One of us could certainly send our radiator in to them and have them build one just the same. I agree that B&B should be allowed to make a profit, but there is a level of reasonability there. A generic aluminum radiator is 300-400. Add fabrication to that and where does it put you? Also, that 300-400 is from Jegs or Summit, and they are not selling them to you out of the goodness of their heart.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

J.A.

I nominate you! You can speak for all of us. Tell 'em that we love B&B, but $750 is nuts. Tell Karen that they'll sell 5 of them right now for, say, $450? I dunno, up to you.

/Chris
Old 07-05-2005, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom:

Sounds like they have boxed us in on that deal...

Chris:

I could counter and nominate you but its not worth it. I will make the call this afternoon & see what happens?

You know if we wanted to upgrade the brakes to Wilwood's do you think they have us messed over on that too!!

Time to put on the game face.

TTL

J.A.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, we should be fine on Wilwoods, that is a standard Mustang II setup up front! Now, I have been thinking adjustable control arms, but I hear that they do not use a standard length control arm!!!

Speaking of Wilwoods, anyone up for a group purchase for the Winter? Anyone with an 8.8 rear end have a good brake setup??

Tom
Old 07-05-2005, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BTW, I sent a note to Karen asking her to refer Brian and Barry to this thread. The radiator I want is a little different in that I want a shroud, fan and no filler.

Tom
Old 07-05-2005, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom,

I also need a puller fan, and I could forego the filler also.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B #126, 351W .040 over
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by OhBuoy

No, we should be fine on Wilwoods, that is a standard Mustang II setup up front! Now, I have been thinking adjustable control arms, but I hear that they do not use a standard length control arm!!!

Speaking of Wilwoods, anyone up for a group purchase for the Winter? Anyone with an 8.8 rear end have a good brake setup??

Tom
I'm considering a brake change to Wilwoods and would jump in on a GB.

I've upgraded brakes on cars with power brakes but never a manual setup. When going to larger rotors & more pistons does the pedal pressure required to stop the car change?

---

I haven't really had an overheating problem but am adding a coolant recovery system and contemplating adding a shroud to the top. Any advice?

thanks,

Mike
B&B #126
Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just got off the phone with Barry If we did a big order 3+ Barry/ Karen said they would knock off $ 100 off the list price. The reason the radiator is a lot higher is that Griffin does the mounting of the brackets on the radiator. So it should just slide right in like the old one. Barry said the reason that they do that is because if they mess up on on of the welds of the brackets then it comes out of their pocket not B & B's pocket. That makes some sense to me because welding aluminum is very different than welding steel. Don't know if this is what you were hoping for but this is the answer. The brass radiator is a 4 core radiator; so will the aluminum dissipate the heat quicker even though it is not a 4 core? Griffin makes their radiator differently to achieve the results so which do you do? If we order from B & B then mention to Karen that you are part of this order at the reduced price.

J.A.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

J.A.

Thanks for stepping up and doing this. So what is the final price? $650?

Thanks,

/Chris
Old 07-06-2005, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 351C
Not Ranked     

$750 for a radiator that's nuts. Come on B&B show some support to the guys that have supported you.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris... $ 650 is the price and I think it is the best that can be done from B & B.

I'm all for what Hmracer said but if you back that thang up just one more post, I think you get the why or pretty much all the why the price is up there. I think the pofit lies in Griffin's hands not B & B 's. The radiator as it comes to B & B requires not additional modification or welding... ready to drop in and fill.

J.A.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do we have enought for an order of 3?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The three amigos... Chris, Tom, J.A. is it a match?

We are the only ones that have expressed a big interest. Not sure if there were anybody else reading the thread that was interested. The radiators are something they don't normally stock so they will have to ordered. Karen said it takes about 3 weeks to get them from griffin.

Let me know if you guys are game to order or not.

J.A.