Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By duke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B
Not Ranked     
Default Possible Radiator Solution!!!!

Guys, I may have a solution. I have been working with a very outgoing gentleman at Be Cool to solve this radiator issue. I have heard the horror stories and have read them on these threads about spending a ton of money on some garbage or on a system that is not sufficient for the amount of motor that we are running. Be Cool sounded like a great way to go. They have the name to back up their product not to mention the success, which is well worth not having to ever question the quality.

For the guys running up to 300 to possibly even 350 hp (i would have to check specifics) I was looking into a radiator that they offer for a jeep. The upper mounting tabs are almost lined up perfect and the the lower tabs since our mounts are recessed on the lowers you would simply need to run a spacer sleave. Simple enough.
This is the link for that particular radiator. He said that he would offer us an AWESOME group price so don't pay too much mind to the price listed on summit. Also this is the module kit which inlcudes everything where some of us may just need the radiator.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

For the the rest of us who are running a higher horsepower combination in the 550hp range, we are currently working on a radiator that will fit our particlular application. The radiator that we are seeming to lean towards is
26" x 19" and would rest in front of the radiator mounts and will hopefull clear the hood hinges. For this one I will be the test dummy and once it is ironed out we will hopefully have a winner. What will probably happen is I will work with be cool to make the mounts for our vehicles and from there they can make them accordingly.

Anyways I would appreciate it if you guys could leave some input along with the interest level of a group purchase. The last idea of a group purchase through B&B went belly up and I am hoping that this one won't. This hopefully will be a great solution to our overheating problem and the gentleman at Be Cool was very eager to help with our situation. Thanks again for your time and moral support through this journey.

Andreas

Hopefully I can post the blueprints that they had sent to me so that you guys can go over them.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

It would be great if they could make or be fitted, a shrouded fan. Something in a low/slim profile.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B w/FRPP 347ci 450HP Crate
Send a message via AIM to OhBuoy
Not Ranked     

For the fans, I would suggest a two fan setup, with the drivers side mounted higher. I would also suggest no filler on the radiator and use a t filler. If you could get the upper hose to come out perpendicular to the ground, that would be an awesome feature. Integrated recovery tank?? I have the B&B radiator, but might be swayed towards something different.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These responses are great because in the next few days I will be refering him to this website for him to review all of the requests. Ohbuoy - could you be a little more clear with regards to the upper inlet being perpendicular to the ground. I'm just not following and for me to explain this to him I would need to know what I am talking about.

I chose these two radiators as the basis mainly because they offer the shroud and we need as much air flow as possible. In your responses if you could include which radiator would be of more interest that would be great also. Again the two variables were the lower hp rating and the higher hp rating.

Thanks again guys for all of the input.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With any stock radiator, including the two "custom" radiators from B&B, the upper hose comes out of the radiator pointed towards the ground because of the angle that the radiator is mounted. If this was mounted more upward, making it exit parallel to the ground and not downward, there would be more options for the upper hose and less challenges with the alternator. If you use a low mount alternator, you could have a pretty straight shot from the upper hose to the thermostat, but the downward angle requires a kink that pulls the hose towards the alternator. The bottom fitting works out because you need to angle past the cross member anyways.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

$1069 for radiator including a few parts........I don't think so........

I purchased a HOWE double pass 26X19, inlet/outlet on left side (FE). installed 190 thermo, no problems and all for about $550....

Remember!, there's a huge difference between a 'parts' changer, and a mechanic.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ohbuoy - i think i get it now. i will discuss this and any other input with him and see what we can come up with.

427 S/O - you obviously aren't interested in a radiator due to the fact that you already have one so the fact that you even posted is questionable. you also didn't read the entire post because you would have come accross the part discussing whether or not each individual would need the entire package or just the radiator. last but not least the part that you definitely skipped was the group package that be cool is offering which sounds like it will be a lot greater than our $100 discount offer through b&b. now since we are all a big community trying to help each other out in building these vehicles to the best of our ability let me ask you a few questions about your cooling system.

How did you fit the 26x19 in the car? Any pictures that you have or if you could take some would be great. Did you use the stock mounts? Ohbuoy mentioned the upper inlet coming out and firing down at the ground. Is this similar to your application or does your come straight out? How much hp are you running and with an electric fan or with the fan off of the pump? are you using a shroud? and the most important question is does your car ever overheat in traffic on a hot day? I didn't think so based what you wrote above about it working perfect but that question is mandatory. So 427 S/O please help us out.

Andreas
Old 06-13-2006, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427SO with big twin autolite inlines on custom intake, jag rear, top loader, wembeldon white, guardsmen blue stripes
Not Ranked     

See my pics.......

Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

427 S/O - I was looking at the pics and the car is beautiful. I love the designated driver. This doesn't look like a B&B but I could be wrong. My frame looks nothing like that but more like what I have seen accross B&B forum. If your car is not a B&B any information that you would try to give us wouldn't apply to our cars. The front of your car also looks like heaven compared to what I have for radiator positioning. Let us know.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I cut off all the factory suspension and built from scratch, sorry I didn't notice
this was a B&B forum.

Old 07-16-2006, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Andreas, any progress? One thought that I had was to put some sort of feed tube on the lower hose to allow it to route up and over the front cross member.

Tom
Old 07-16-2006, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes in fact there has been plenty of progress. be cool has found a radiator that will work that they have in stock and they are in the process of sending it out to me. as soon as i have it installed i will post pics and make duplicate brackets and ship them back to be cool. hopefully they will use the brackets to offer a package to the B&B owners group. they sound extremely willing to help out. the radiator should be here in the next few days and i should have it installed shortly there after. my goal is to route the lower hose over the crossmember but we'll see.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Radiator Option

I am building a B&B with a 460 BB and have been following the radiator posts. Here is my research to date:

The 67-69 Mustang Radiators will fit, with mods, but only cool ~250HP.
The 67 Mustang/Cougar 390 will fit, with mods, and cool about 350HP but nobody makes one to the original 23-1/4" core width.
The 68-70 Mustang 390/428, 24-1/4" core width are to wide and hit the body.
All of the above need bracket mods because the radiator must be supported by the tank on the bottom.

The 77-78 Mustang II radiators have the brackets and support structure to mount to the B&B front clip. They are also narrow enough to fit inside the body.

US Radiator will custom build a Mustang II radiator that will bolt right up to the B&B brackets and with the bottom outlet pointed up! They also made the outlet the right size at 1-3/4". Only in copper/brass but can handle just about any HP. Part # 53160.
http://www.usradiator.com/catalog.htm

4 Row ~325HP $290
4 Row High Efficiency ~400HP $358
Optima (6 row equivalent) ~475HP $418
Tripple Flow (7 row equivalent) ~???HP $449

I have one on order, 2-3weeks, and will post how it fits.
jams likes this.