Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Finally I get to start

Well fellas (and ladies), after 20 years of being infactuated with the lines of the AC cobra, and the Shelby history behind this awesome auto, I finally get to start building one of my own. I wont lie though, I am lost in all the options, brands, motor possibilities. I want a very fast yet nimble car. For that reason I originally planned on a small V8 stroked, with IRS rear. I have lately put more emphasis on HP though, so my plan to date is this; (please shoot holes in this) Dart 351W stroked, 9"rear, tremec 5, coil over susp, and....Banks twin turbo. The gate on the twins would be set low, so around 500-600HP would be produced. The Banks may be over the top I know, so has anyone used em with any success? Is that too much Horseys do you think. Of course the power train and engine would be built to handle it.
Im from Washington, Mo so Im thinking of visiting B&B because they are very close to me. Ive read mostly positive comments about them.
Im also seein lots of cars for sale already built. Is the build experience mostly fun, or mostly pain in the a$$ work. Would you guys just buy one if you had to do it over?
I work at a high tech machine/sheetmetal shop, welding, laser cutters, CNC mills etc all that good stuff so I got access to the tools.
Thanks for any input you all might have, Id like to get steered in the right directions by you experts out there.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

I'm also seeing lots of cars for sale already built. Is the build experience mostly fun, or mostly pain in the a$$ work. Would you guys just buy one if you had to do it over?

The answer to your this questions is threefold, and depends upon - are you mechanically inclined, which manufacturer you select, and what personal satisfaction you want from the experience.

I have yearned for a Cobra since the 60's. When I decided to go for it friends said, "why not just buy one already built... that way you can just drive it." Personally, I wanted to build it myself. Now, I would know what I have, I don't have to fix someone else's mistakes/problems (I hate having to do that!), and their is one hell of a lot of pride when it is completed. On the flip-side, there are a lot of quality used Cobra's out there to be had if you are knowledgeable and know what to look for.

Would I do it again? In a heart beat! I had a blast! And I can say I built it - there's a lot to be said for that

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/

Last edited by pgermond; 09-15-2006 at 07:57 PM..
Old 09-15-2006, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the reply. Im inclined to the same opinion, and as you, friends are saying to just buy one. Glad you had fun with it, its the inpiration I need.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B --Well built 302
Not Ranked     

Welcome Ozarkman; I just finished my B&B this spring, I've never built a so-called Kit-Car until this. First there's going to be alot of frustration in the whole process. But Karen, Brian, Barry, and Ron are all very patient and knowledgable in answering almost any question that you can come-up with during the build.It's not going to save you any money to build it yourself,But it is worth the experience!!!!! Ken
Old 09-17-2006, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

yes building is fun but frustraiting ,the instuctional man. sucks period.so you have to ask questions of brian all the time(i dont know how they get any thing done). do have fun , dont over build. 400 plus horses is plenty to scare the pants of any sane person. i did 450 and all i do is idle around cause if you step on it your sideways in an instant.expect on a year to build. good luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for being candid fellas. As far as horse power, I wanted the car to have the ability to scare the bleep outta ya. I have a high tolerance for fear (or maybee im not very smart) so well have to see what happens. You can allways add performance later, so Ill start out with a strong engine with good heads and fuel inj. It sounds like most are buying crate engines, Id like to build mine but have a feeling once that body is sitting on 4 wheels I may loose the desire and will end up buying a crate too.
Till next time

Live with a smile
Ozarkman
Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 351 W, TREMEC 600
Not Ranked     

Welcome. I highly recommend going by and seeing Karen, Brian and Barry. You'll enjoy the time and it's good to see how they build you frame. Take pictures of the ones they are building, lots of pictures. I did this and it was extremely helpful. With the poor manual, this will become the manual in some cases. Be diligent in all areas; the front end, brake line routing, fuel lines, trunk, doors, weather stripping, latches, etc., get pictures of it all.

As far as horsepower, you have a car that weighs 2400 pounds, you can spin the tires with less than 400 horsepower. I can loose it in a left turn from a stop sign without too much effort on the gas pedal. I have an acquaintance who used to race his (up to 900 HP he says) and just totaled it. Too much foot! My 430 HP will do me fine.

Let us know what help you need. Build it, you won't regret it.

Rob
Old 09-20-2006, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Manufacturing,351 SVO stroker from Bennett Racing
Not Ranked     

When you focus on the horsepower and the motor everybody seems to loose sight of you gotta stop that sucker and steer it where you want to go. Otherwise you have a problem.

J.A.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I just came back from a car show. A fellow had a Everet Morrison on the Corvette suspension. He had a Chevy big block in it. I really like the Idea of the Corvette IRS. Does anybody know how B&B handles the IRS request? He said he had to use weaker coils on the front cause the vettes were to stiff. I wasnt too thrilled with the Bowtie in it, but he said there was a real savings there. I think Ill go Ford cause Im a little hung up on that. Anyway, suspension is a concern, I dont think Ill be satisfied with the handling of a Ford 9". Has anybody done IRS with a B&B?