Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, York 351W (Work in Progress), 07 Shelby GT # 0767, 09 Shelby GT500, 09 Shelby GT500KR #440
Not Ranked     
Default Carrera CoiloverQuestion

I have the Carrera coilover shocks and do not seem to have the "proper" technique for installing the collar over the ring on the rear shocks. According to the instructions, the collar should slip over the ring after it has been placed in one of the two indentations on the shock body. I've got to be doing something wrong because there just no way that the collar will ever be able to slip over the ring as the diameters just will not allow this and I just can't get the metal on the collar to expand enough to fit.

Any suggestions from anyone who has been there done that.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

D&M

When I unpack mine from the box I will grab the shock and fully pull both ends of the shock until it is fully extended. I will then slip on the top cone of the spring stop. I will then slip on the spring followed by the bottom two adjustment nuts. I usually run the adjusters up flush with the bottom of the spring and compress the shock back as much as I can. I then just bolt the shock in place while having the jack under the axel or A-Arm to align the attaching bolts.

I appologize if I am missing something here. If you are talking about the lock rings I usually push them up from the bottom of the shock allowing them to expand as they move up. If that is the issue you may need to use a light hammer to drive them up to their grooves.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 03-07-2007 at 05:08 AM..
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, York 351W (Work in Progress), 07 Shelby GT # 0767, 09 Shelby GT500, 09 Shelby GT500KR #440
Not Ranked     

Yes, the problem I am having is with the lock rings that hold the adjusting collar in place. I picked up an expansion tool to install the ring into the slot on the shock body but the collar does not slid over the ring to hold the ring and the collar in place. I've used a screwdriver and hammer to gently push the ring into the collar but this is insufficient to allow the collar to slid over the ring. Once the weight of the car is applied to the shock, the collar tends to push the ring down and out of the indentation.

I've purchased additional rings as I even tried to grind down the outer edge of the ring to allow the collar to slip over it. I don't want to grind the ring down too far as I am concerned that the ring would just snap causing the collar to slide down as well.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

sounds like the indetentation in the shock is not deep enough, mine only has one indentation. maybe you have a reject.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have posted a couple of pictures of the shocks and rings in my gallery. Unfortunately, our camera doesn't do close up very well but hopefully the pictures will provide some idea of the situation and how it compares with everyone elses.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

looks like the thickness of the clip wire is too great.I'd get some smaller gauge spring wire and make a new clip. just an idea.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a feeling that "some" of the parts that came with the car may not have been exactly the same as what B&B delivers. This was the third car that the individual had intended to build and I've run in to several other items that were not quite correct. I suspect that some of the parts were the leftovers after the other two cars were built and came with this car because they didn't fit properly. I spoke to Barry at B&B today and may send the shocks back to them so that they can definitively determine what is causing the problem. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a final update. After speaking with Barry at B&B, we were not able to determine what might be causing the problem. I sent the shocks back to B&B for them to take a closer look. As it turns out, there was a problem with the shocks themselves. My thanks to Barry and B&B for taking a look at these and quickly sending out replacements. I can't say enough about the great support that B&B provides.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Bryan and Barry are great to work with and have always been more than fair to me. My endless questions during my build over 7 years ago were never met with hatefull responses. The whole B&B Team have set a standard that many others should follow.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"