Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > B & B Cobra's --- Speak with Bryan Anderson

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 1969 392w, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     
Question Electric fan question...

I was planning to use a puller fan if I could get one that is slim enough with a high CFM number. I'm going to be using the radiator that came with my kit. What size, brand names and model numbers would everyone recommend? All opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Mike
Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     
Default Electric Fan

Mike,

The fan from a 97/98 Lincoln Mk VIII will bring a smile to your wallet and a low temperature to your engine. You can get them for about $30 from a wrecking yard. The earlier Mk VIII fans would move 3800 cfm. The 97/98 versions move 5000 cfm. There is nothing in the aftermarket that even comes close. The fan is available new for around $200 if you hunt a little.

If you use it remember lots of air draws lots of current. This puppy can pull upwards of 50 amps so be sure to use robust dedicated circuits and a switching relay for control.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics, 302 stroked to 347; Metallic British Racing Green
Not Ranked     

I used a Spal fan on a 347 stroker engine, and it works fine. Slim profile, and high cfm...go check out http://www.spal-usa.com/

Glyn

"No, I DON'T have an accent, this is how English sounds when it is pronounced correctly!"
Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

As Ed said the OEM fans are generally less expensive on the used market and may actually move more air than a 16" single bladed one such as a Spal, however they are generally intended for the lean burning emissions oriented OEM applications and more times than not were designed for OEM applications requiring them to contend with an A/C condensor or Automatic trans cooler in front of the radiator that is giving off huge amounts of heat. Generally speaking a well installed 16" (as pictured below) puller will be more than enough for what you need or want, plus the installation will be cleaner and lighter and pull less power thus allowing a smaller alternator. Like it or not it takes HP to spin large alternators. The hole on the lower portion of the RH tank is for the VW sourced fan switch that controls the fan relay.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-15-2008 at 06:18 PM..
Old 04-12-2008, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

Sorry, don't remember the item # but I ordered one from summit racing. I just checked the size in the catalog/website and got the the biggest one that wound fit the dimensions of my kit supplied radiator.

Puller fan is the way to go.

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 1969 392w, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Has anyone had any experience with the Zirgo fan?
Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Mike,
I do not no Zirgo fan but have had great performance from Spal and the Black Magic from Flex-a lite. Many companies over rate the real world CFM rating or delivered CFM when flow is restricted by radiator and surface area etc... Check the amp demand against size and CFM to see if it falls in line with others as a sanity check.

I am a firm believer in more is better to make sure one of the major car systems won't leave you walking. Use appropriate wire gauge and a control relay to allow self cycling or on demand on/off control. The alternator is controlled by demand so HP loss is not a real concern in my book. A high flow or efficiency fan will simply cycle on/off quicker but is there when demand increases. The engine compartment also benefits from fan operation as heat is the big problem for many items and electronics.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B...351/393w
Not Ranked     

I have a used fan from the B&B kit left over, if you want it let me know, we can work out a deal.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B...351/393w
Not Ranked     
Default photos

Photos attached
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2008, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Electric Fan

I am running the stock fan in my late model, 2008, Backdraft with a stroked 351W. My temp is running 95C on the road,but goes to 105C to 110C in traffic, the fan is on all the time. any suggestions to cool it down?
Old 05-04-2008, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B , 351W 400+
Not Ranked     

Spal 2082 from The Fan Man did it for me. I have the standard radiator from B&B (not aluminum). I made an aluminum frame to mount it so it was not resting on the radiator and it has been working well. My 351W engine temp is bouncing off the thermostat now (180-190ish) and before it was running well over 200 degrees. It is "keeping its cool" in traffic now and hope that continues when we get to the hot Oklahoma summer days. I had used a 16 inch fan from Summit initially. This one moves much more air.