Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     
Question Couple of BDR questions...

Friend of mine just took delivery of his BDR. Was going to help him on a couple of things.

1) Ride height - what is the typical ride height (ground to frame rail and ground to top of wheel well)? He has a curb in to his driveway that may dictate otherwise, but need a starting spot.

2) Header/sidepipe fitment - After shimming the engine up, the interference on the body from the sidepipes has been cleared, but created a new interference at the rear of the pipe exit (towards the doors). I assume slide the engine forward if possible?

3) Anyone else hookup the neutral safety switch off the tranny?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

ttt - soooo, no one own's a backdraft here?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You forgot to include the standard phrase when people ask questions about BDR's, you know, because their SO different and special compared to other plastic wannabe's. Here ya go...

"Only BDR owners should respond."

So, because it's a BDR feel free to take the measurments from the wheel well lips, everybody else should use the FRAME only for this reference. Being as BDR's are special I have no idea what their ride height should be. Everybody else would do well to start at 5 inches, a typical industry standard. There should be a slight "rake" to the setting, lower in the front, higher in the rear.

Headers and trans, don't have an opinion.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-04-2010 at 08:02 AM..
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I owned a BDR a and I will say the side pipe clearance to body in one area was less than .25". That being said never had any paint or body issues. Sooo if it is not touching live with it, there is no easy way I know to move the engine forward. Is it a new BDR? if not then damage would have been done if it is going to happen. As far as ride height, call Cashburn or B Littleton, they have forgotten more about BDR since breakfast then most will ever know.

Excaliber- BDR's are special. SPF are special and ERA's are just plain boring, LOL!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleVenom View Post
Friend of mine just took delivery of his BDR. Was going to help him on a couple of things.

1) Ride height - what is the typical ride height (ground to frame rail and ground to top of wheel well)? He has a curb in to his driveway that may dictate otherwise, but need a starting spot.

2) Header/sidepipe fitment - After shimming the engine up, the interference on the body from the sidepipes has been cleared, but created a new interference at the rear of the pipe exit (towards the doors). I assume slide the engine forward if possible?

3) Anyone else hookup the neutral safety switch off the tranny?

Thanks
ride height... dunno... tho mine is definitely less than 5" from ground to frame rail. Have to drive mine up on boards just to get the jack under it.

header/sidepipe fitment... again... dunno... mine was set up by Keith Craft Motorsports.

neutral safety... mine is not connected.

Probably the reason for the lack of response is that you're asking questions that a lot of us can't really answer. Setups are all so individual. I'm the third owner of my BDR, so I had nothing to do with the setup. Sorry I can't be more helpful...
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
You forgot to include the standard phrase when people ask questions about BDR's, you know, because their SO different and special compared to other plastic wannabe's. Here ya go...

"Only BDR owners should respond."

So, because it's a BDR feel free to take the measurments from the wheel well lips, everybody else should use the FRAME only for this reference. Being as BDR's are special I have no idea what their ride height should be. Everybody else would do well to start at 5 inches, a typical industry standard. There should be a slight "rake" to the setting, lower in the front, higher in the rear.

Headers and trans, don't have an opinion.
dude... that came off a tad harsh... do we need to mark the sides of the bed for you???
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

1.) Depends on where you need it, the guy may have driveway issues that a Cobra won't overcome, but set where you like.

2.) Don't know what engine you are installing so cannot say.

3.) Yeah, it's been done.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Harsh? I don't think so, more like a reality check. A lot of questions asked about BDR's are accompanied by the classic, "Only BDR owners need reply." They aren't that special, 99% of the questions could apply to any replica.

BDR is typically the ONLY replica that asks for BDR only replies, it's gets tiresome. It's just freakin' plastic car, like any other.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Re: Ride height, I was told to put a piece of 1x1 on top of the tire and adjust the strut/spring adjusters so the fender opening just touched the stick. Worked fine but changes camber. Don't know if you have the new camber plates on the front. (I had to install them about 4 years in when they became available). No bottoming out in the wheel wells. May change some after springs settle. Ran aournd with a sack of cement (in a plastic bag) in the trunk for a while. Things may change some when it gets on the alignment rack.

My clearance issue was the bottom of the bell housing/scatter shield. About 4-5 inches. Watch those speed bumps.
Good Luck,
Al
Old 05-04-2010, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mmm, ok. Just didn't want the car to ride high (too much space between the tires and fenders). The neutral safety switch - I have it hooked up on mine, and has saved embarrassment many times trying to start the car in gear because I don't always push the clutch in when I get in the car. The owner fixed his own problem with the pipes last night with a dremel.

Excalibur, really didn't care who answered, just thought the specific forum for BDR was created for a reason. Anyway, I'll adjust it to what we think it ought to be and go from there.

Uh, Thanks.?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     
Default BDR owners respect all makes

Quote:
Harsh? I don't think so, more like a reality check. A lot of questions asked about BDR's are accompanied by the classic, "Only BDR owners need reply." They aren't that special, 99% of the questions could apply to any replica.

BDR is typically the ONLY replica that asks for BDR only replies, it's gets tiresome. It's just freakin' plastic car, like any other.
Excaliber, lighten up - you're simply wrong. The BDR owners don't build their cars like many of the kits builders out there, therefore they may not know that their questions can be answered by other manufacturers. We have no problem with the SPF's, FFR, ERA's etc...and many of us drool over the polished Kirkham. Not sure what you issue is.

Seems to me the BDR guys are much more accepting of other makes, unlike our other South African originated siblings. By the way, did a search for "Only BDR owners need reply" and nothing came up. If we can be accused of anything, I suppose many of us think our cars handle a bit better than some of the others out there - that's about it.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyone ever see a thread that said, "ERA owners only need reply." SPF owners only, FFR owners only, etc. etc. You don't need to "own" a BDR to have a clue about how to set up a car, any car. The fundamental issues of building a replica apply across the board. From Street Beasts to Kirkhams.

Who ever suggested setting ride height based on fender wheel clearance, by the way, is blowing smoke. Hope that guy wasn't a BDR owner...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

Jees, here we go AGAIN!!!!

oh by the way MY DAD CAN KICK ALL YOUR DAD'S ASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Dang Ernie, give RICK LAKE a call and ask him to FedEx you some of those little blue calm-down pills that he passes out from time to time. That'll take the edge off....
Old 05-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Call me crazy, a person can post any question they like and phrase it however they like ... seems like the weight falls on us responders not to make repetitive assholes of ourselves. I believe the responsibility goes both ways.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your Crazy!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Call me crazy, a person can post any question they like and phrase it however they like ... seems like the weight falls on us responders not to make repetitive assholes of ourselves. I believe the responsibility goes both ways.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Call me crazy, a person can post any question they like and phrase it however they like.
Yup, thats true. Depending on how you post it you might come off as "elitist". Just making an observation, nothing more.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

14,340 elite observations
Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So, you guys going to be issuing a decoder ring with every purchase in the near future?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft#357, 392CI Ford Racing, 459hp, 455ft/lbs , TKO 500, 3.43 Gears, Ceramic Coated Headers, Victor Jr. 750cfm, 17in Halibrand wheels, Sterling Gray/Silver Stripes, Gray Leather, Nitto NT05
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Anyone ever see a thread that said, "ERA owners only need reply." SPF owners only, FFR owners only, etc. etc. You don't need to "own" a BDR to have a clue about how to set up a car, any car. The fundamental issues of building a replica apply across the board. From Street Beasts to Kirkhams.

Who ever suggested setting ride height based on fender wheel clearance, by the way, is blowing smoke. Hope that guy wasn't a BDR owner...
"Anyone ever see a thread that said, "ERA owners only need reply." SPF owners only, FFR owners only"....YES ACTUALLY!

"You don't need to own a BDR to have a clue about how to set up a car, any car" A lot of guys who don't build cars don't know that, many might think it is brand specific. You think it is elitist when many of them don't realize the question can be answered by anyone. Sorry you disagree.

Last edited by Jimbocobra; 05-04-2010 at 07:44 PM..
Closed Thread