Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Roush 427 SR/TW
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Ride Height

Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the body under the oil cooler and/or anything under the car bottoming out on speed bumps, speed humps, dips in the road, etc. on a Backdraft with 17" wheels? It seems kind of low in the front. Is this something I need to worry about?

Thanks....
Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

I raised mine for all of the above.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

On a Backdraft you will usually have to deal with the bell housing flange scraping a speed-bump before the nose glass rubs.

BUT, the most dangerous thing you can do, no matter what the height almost, is pull into a parking place with a concrete curb or big concrete stop and go in to far and to fast. That will hit the nose and really make a mess.

I do run mine very low, but high enough to enjoy the car in my area without worrying about tearing something up. If you are scraping on "normal" things in your area, bump it up a bit until you are comfortable.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input...

mIn385 - re. raising the car, is that something I can do or do need to take it somewhere? Does raising the car mess with the alignment?

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

I raised mine about 3/4 of an inch, it is easy just adjust the spanner nut on the coil overs. Did it about 3k miles ago no adverse issue with alignment, and haven't bottomed out since either.

One note our roads here are so lousy last year we were cruising down a road and all of a sudden the rear hit something loud and hard! Pulled over walked around and gave it a quick look see, found nothing.
When I got her home I put her up on the lift and low and behold the drivers side rear tie down was bent about 5 degrees and had road rash! That is how bad our roads are crowned up here. Just glad it was the tie down nothing else.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 879, Indigo Blue / Wimbledon White, 428 Cobrajet, TKO 500
Not Ranked     

See my thread I posted a few weeks back on the BDR forum titled "Front End Clearance". I had the same issue..I was scraping the nose. With the help of the responses, I adjusted my front coil overs such that the nose is now 4" off the ground. Originally it was a shade under 3"

My current set up is:

Front: 25 3/4" (from the ground to top of the fender well)

Rear: 26 1/8" (ground to top of well)

Rides perfect now
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrogers55 View Post
On a Backdraft you will usually have to deal with the bell housing flange scraping a speed-bump before the nose glass rubs.

BUT, the most dangerous thing you can do, no matter what the height almost, is pull into a parking place with a concrete curb or big concrete stop and go in to far and to fast. That will hit the nose and really make a mess.

I do run mine very low, but high enough to enjoy the car in my area without worrying about tearing something up. If you are scraping on "normal" things in your area, bump it up a bit until you are comfortable.

What he said. Unfortunately I've been there and done exactly that. Waiting to do something worse and get it all fixed together.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input,and the referral to the previous thread (which I overlooked).

Thanks again...

Last edited by TimeForACobra; 06-03-2011 at 05:08 AM..