Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #188, Roush 342R
Not Ranked     
Default Just purchase BDR #188

Hello everyone,

I just purchased BDR #188 from Tom M in New Jersey. The car was Vintage motorsports show car and was built in 2004. I got it registered and tagged and am now going over the car.

I have a couple problems:

1. After sitting in the garage overnight, I saw a quarter size drip on the floor just under the rear. I got under the car this morning and discovered that the 6mm allen bolts that attached the half shafts to the differential were all loose. A couple on the drivers side were about 1/4 inch out. I tightened them up and hope that solves the issue. Only the drivers side was leaking. I was surprised to see that the washers were just flat washers and not lock washers. This car has a 3.64 LSD that was installed by vintage a few years ago.

2. This is my biggest issue at the moment. When you drive the car around normally it runs fine, but when you step on it, it starts breaking up at around 3500-4000 rpms. It feels like it might be ignition related.

The following is what I have changed so far:

Installed a new coil as the wire was loose and burned a hole through the side of the it from arching. That didn't fix it so I also put new plugs, wires, cap and rotor. I also changed the chip in the MSD box to new one.

My car has a Roush 342R motor with an MSD mechanical advance distributor and 6AL box, Holley 770 street avenger carb. I verified the timing last night and it is set to 14 initial and 32 total.

It only starts sputtering and breaking up under full throttle under a heavy load. It also seems more pronounced in higher gears going up a hill.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the purchase. So 188 goes from 1 Tom to another... will always be a memorable car for us since it effectively launched our biz.

The washers you refer to are whatever was issued at the time by BDR. Now we have more of a star/wavelock design. Perhaps worth considering if you are seeing them loosen again. Though over the course of 7 years it is good to tighten everything up each season.

The breaking up sounds like the typical problem Roush was seeing on those Holley carbs of that era. They played around forever with remedies and I need to pull up my file or find it on here... if you search for "Roush blue dot" or "green dot" or something on here there should be lengthy discussions.

The modules in the MSD distributors have been known to be a culprit over time as well.

Sounds like you are giving the car some good attention.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Cashburn,

Thanks for the quick response!

Yes, Tom And I have a lot in common, besides the cobra we also like to fish!

I'll keep and eye on the bolts on the half shafts and may change to the ones you are referring to if they continue to loosen.

I have seen the posts about the carb issues with the Holley street avengers. I thought most people were having issues with part throttle / cruise issues. I didn't think others were having issues with full throttle.

Do you think it could be the magnetic pickup assembly in the distributor? I almost bought one of those as well yesterday, but the race shop I talked with said that in general they either work or they don't. I just don't want to keep throwing parts at it.

I also tried a different secondary springs, both heavy and light and it didn't make a difference at all.

I guess the only things that are left are the MSD box itself, the distributor and the carb. All of which are kinda high dollar items.

I'm just at a loss at this point???

On a good note, I ordered the Hurst short shifter from you last week and installed it yesterday.......I love it!!!

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited by Tomcobra17; 09-24-2011 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Mistakes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

check the carbon button on your dist cap, if its flat replace it and enusure you bend the rotor tab so it is always in direct contct
Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Madmaxx.

I checked that last night and the cap and rotor looked good, but I replaced them both anyway and still no change.

I'm thinking bad MSD 6AL, distributor or the carb as Cashburn mentioned. The car only has 5500 miles on it and it was build in 2004. Given its age and the problems that a lot of people were having with the Holley 770 Avengers back then, I'm starting to think that's my issue.

I also saw a fuel filter under the car near the tank and thought about changing that as well. Cashburn - do you know what kind of fuel filter it is , so I can tell the auto parts store?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Describe how the filter looks so I can narrow it down...
Old 09-24-2011, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Cashburn,

it's silver, connected in line with small pieces of rubber hose and clamps on each end. The main body is about 2 to 2.25 inches in diameter and 3 inches long or so.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Since your in the land of Manny, Joe, and Mac head over there and pickup a universal 3/8" chrome fuel filter (not the glass style, the all metal) in their Hot Rod aisle.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Also check your timing and make sure 92 or 93 Octane.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again Cashburn.

I grab a filter.

I am using 93 octane and have put 18 gallons in since I bought it.

The timing is set at 14 base and 32 total. Checked it last night.

I might just go ahead and order a new carb. Thinks quickfuel ss650 with mechanical secondaires and electric choke. I was thinking about replacing the Street Avenger before I picked it up anyway.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

We've had great results with the QF SS Series. You should see a nice return with the mech. secondaries etc. What did you gap plugs to?
Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The original plugs were gaped at 50-52, I set the new ones at 45 thinking that maybe the original ones were getting blown out. No change.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

45 is ok with the MSD.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think this thread might be the same issue I am having and what Cashburn is thinking of.

another stumbling into secondaries question?

I may call Holley and see if they can do anything or just replace it with a quick fuel ss650 or other carb?

Does anyone have a Roush 342r with the QFT ss650'carb that would like to share their settings?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-25-2011, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a Holley Street Avenger with nary a problem...Holley makes a great carburetor.

Plug gaps, distributor caps, octane and timing won't be your problem. Before you throw too much money around blindly to fix something, I would definately replace the fuel filter. I would also run a tank of gas through it first before I spent any more money.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks cbreez,

I plan to pickup a fiuel filter tomorrow and swap it out.

The fuel filter is right next to the fuel tank, which seems odd for a mechanical fuel pump setup. There is no filter between the pump attached to the block on the motor and the carb itself.

Is this setup ok?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As long as you have a filter out of the tank you are fine. It wouldn't take much though to put one under the hood, but I wouldn't worry about it. many factory fuel filters are right out of the tank. You have an electric fuel pump, right?
I would also call the guy you bought it from...

Are you sure about the RPM and that you aren't bouncing off a rev limiter?

Last edited by cbreez; 09-25-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Tom,
The thread you linked is on the topic. There are some other discussions here as well. Would start with the cheap and easy filter.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I changed the fuel filter and that didn't solve my problem. I even cut the old one open and it looked very clean.

So, I bit the bullet and ordered a new quick fuel carb with mechanical secondaries from Brent at B2 Motorsports. It should be here on Friday or Saturday.

I had planned to change the carb anyway due to the issues many have had with the Holley Avengers that Roush used on these engines. I don't care for the lack of throttle response of a vacuum secondary carb compared to mechanical secondaries.

I am pretty confident that it's the carb. I can accelerate moderately all the way to 6000 rpm with no issues. It only happens when I floor it and the secondaries open, then it starts breaking up and missing and I let off of it.

We'll see.....

Tom
Old 09-28-2011, 05:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Have you at least taken the carb apart and cleaned it, blown out the orifi and passages, looked for missing parts, replaced the gaskets, and checked float heights?

I would before I bought a new carb... just sayin'