Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default HID Headlamps

Does anyone have any links to a decent HID lighting systems for these cars?

Thank you!

Chad
Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I am working on this now --standby.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

eBay. Get one that is HID high & low. I believe the newer cars have headlights with replaceable bulbs - older cars you had to replace the headlight housing with one that allows changable bulbs.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

XSighting Lighting from Valeo Sylvania (OEM for the HID's on the current production Mustang)

Xsighting Lighting™ - Products

gallery2a
Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

If you insist, wait until after the car is registered and you have passed any inspection process you have to go through. In general we have had mixed results with all these different kits. Another technology that remains costly to get a good version of...
Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I may end up getting the LED lights from Trucklite. I use their 7" LED light on my harley, and the performance and look is outstanding! Problem, they are about $250 each light, whereas a good HID kit can be had for about $70.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCityJets View Post
I may end up getting the LED lights from Trucklite. I use their 7" LED light on my harley, and the performance and look is outstanding! Problem, they are about $250 each light, whereas a good HID kit can be had for about $70.
LED lights are awesome...I just put a Rigid Industries E-Series 20" dual row spot/flood combo light on my truck and the light it puts out is ridiculously insane!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #455, KC427W, TWM-FI
Not Ranked     

I installed these (6000) and love them. The hi/lo is the same HID bulb it moves a mirror. It was pretty easy to install. The lighting is awesome.
Welcome To ShopXenon
Old 11-20-2011, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

Has anyone tried the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras? They look like a decent alternative at a reasonable price.

I am looking for an improvement over my Tripods. A headlight that is even close to as good as the ones on my GMC Yukon would be great. The headlights do need to look OEM.

John
Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default I made HID headlights.

I bought a pair of Nissan Morano HID headlights on eBay for about $60. Then, I bought a pair of 7" plastic headlights for $25. I carefully cut the back of the headlights off at the right diameter so that the projector beams would fit right in. I used a lot of JB Weld to attch the two parts together. That was the easy part.

I spent a lot of time at Home Depot looking at ventilation tubes. I found a reducer tube about the right size. I cut the rear of the headlight buckets a couple of inches behind the point where the headlights mount, then spotwelded the reducers to them. I used a vent block off cap to close the back of the housing. I cut a hole large enough for the high voltage wire and connector to fit through and mounted the ballasts to the car's frame in sealed metal boxes.

The Nissan units have shutters that are raised by solenoids. I simply attached the old high beam wires to them.

After years of playing with all kinds of Halogen bulbs and HID inserts in Hella housings, the new lights beat them all. The payoff came in a night rally. I had passed three cars on a long straight two lane in the Bakersfield countryside. I was probably doing 75 and just started to swing back into the right lane, when I saw an odd shadow in the center of the road and jerked the wheel back to stay in the left lane. As we flew by the very large skunk, we could see his two white stripes perpendicular to the road. My co-driver was very impressed that I missed it! I never would have without the projector beams.

Last edited by RallySnake; 11-23-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Fixed
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default They don't look too bad.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySnake View Post
I bought a pair of Nissan Morano HID headlights on eBay for about $60. Then, I bought a pair of 7" plastic headlights for $25. I carefully cut the back of the headlights off at the right diameter so that the projector beams would fit right in. I used a lot of JB Weld to attch the two parts together. That was the easy part.

I spent a lot of time at Home Depot looking at ventilation tubes. I found a reducer tube about the right size. I cut the rear of the headlight buckets a couple of inches behind the point where the headlights mount, then spotwelded the reducers to them. I used a vent block off cap to close the back of the housing. I cut a hole large enough for the high voltage wire and connector to fit through and mounted the ballasts to the car's frame in sealed metal boxes.

The Nissan units have shutters that are raised by solenoids. I simply attached the old high beam wires to them.

After years of playing with all kinds of Halogen bulbs and HID inserts in Hella housings, the new lights beat them all. The payoff came in a night rally. I had passed three cars on a long straight two lane in the Bakersfield countryside. I was probably doing 75 and just started to swing back into the right lane, when I saw an odd shadow in the center of the road and jerked the wheel back to stay in the left lane. As we flew by the very large skunk, we could see his two white stripes perpendicular to the road. My co-driver was very impressed that I missed it! I never would have without the projector beams.
Kudos on the ingenuity and all the hard work. I think I'll wait for you to start making them in a plug-and-play kit form!