Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
Might have missed it in the thread, but ... Pass. roll-bar yes or no?

Heat shields for the side pipes?
My understanding is heat shields are standard.

Originally I was not even considering passenger roll-bar, however during the same CFO interaction where I was informed Roush Coyote SC was not need, wife tells me she decided she wants to take high performance driving lessons. All for her take driving lessons even though it requires second roll bar, no problem. Tried to appeal decision about SC with argument the second roll bar requires SC to overcome aerodynamic drag. No Joy. Second roll bar with no SC final decision.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

I would not worry about shipping costs. It is a one time thing and you can amortize it (in your head) over the time you own the car.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oil cooler looks good; it fills the gap. Probably not needed.

Power steering a ***** to add. If you want it, let the dealer do it.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A five or six point harness is required for some track events. I have four point harnesses which are adequate for most situations.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatton3 View Post
A five or six point harness is required for some track events. I have four point harnesses which are adequate for most situations.
Thanks for the feedback, did ask about harness requirements as well as roll bars with the company wife where wants to take lessons. Four point are good for lessons as well as run groups that interest her. Dual roll bars are required with instructor.

BTW SC=Super Charger. My feeble attempt at humor.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Keep us posted. Photo gallery from Vintage is cool.

People still look at #874.

Russell
Old 06-07-2012, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1134, Roushcharged Coyote Aluminator NA
Not Ranked     

Patrick,

Also late to the game, but I have also just started a build with Jay and Brian at VMS (#1134, just posted on current projects page)

I also am going with the Coyote and saw the 1124 in Jay's shop (very nice). Like you, I could not spring for the full package, but was able to go for the next best thing. Jay and Brian are setting up the 1134 with option of adding the Roush Supercharger at a later date. This involved positioning the engine just right, upgrades to the fuel tank and a higher volume pump as well as the use of the heavier clutch which can handle the increased HP later. The Coyote is tight enough due to the increrased width that I beleive you need the solid mounts but with smoothness of the electronically controlled fuel injection on a small block, I do not think thet the motor vibrations will be much of an issue.

The only drawback I found was I had to give up on the T56 magnum transmission as it is too wide to fit the transmission tunnel without some extensive mods (fiberglass work, carpeting changes and even potentially some seat modifications). The standard Coyote position can just accomodate it but with very small margins. I agreed after a number of conversations with Jay that the modifications required were not worth the final drive ratio of .5:1 in 6th gear that would be used rarely with the higher RPM motor anyway. That being said, if I was not planning on the later upgrades, I would go for the T56 magnum as well. (or if I were going for 430 gears in the differential).

The other change I opted for was to use the new Ford Racing Coyote Aluminator engine (normally aspirated) which is set up to accept the Supercharger later. This also had a consequence as we ran into an issue with the Altenator mounting which Jay has since worked out by changing the aluminator front cover for a standard Coyote one (Bosses are removed on the aluminator engine to accept the supercharger that on the standard Coyote, Jay and Brian use to include a full size alternator vs the mini low amp racing altenatopr option)(will store away the modified cover for the upgrade). In my opinion the extra $ for the Aluminator option was worthwhile due to all the extreme duty components used.

I am also going for the 391 LS differential as the Coyote is definately a higher RPM performer.

My plan is to drive this car one or two seasons and have VMS add the Roush Supercharger at that time as additional funds are available.

I also have opted for the second roll bar, especially after my better half asked: How come you get one and I do not? Enough said, and I actually like the look of the second roll bar (pictures on the site show it now). If this were an "old school" build with an FE big block I would agree with sticking the purist route of the single roll bar, but this build is far from that. Other options include: Tannau Cover, Ray Dot side mirrors, coated headers, heated seats, rear 3M paint protection (I agree that the front protecion detracts from the look due to all of the seams involved and they vary from one install to the next as it keeps changing).

I agree with the others that you cannot go wrong with VMS. Jay and Brian are great to work with and will not steer you wrong. I do have the advantage of living only one hour from thier shop and can say it is impressive as are VMS's capabilities and knowledge of the product!

Good Luck!

Julian
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 1124 Supercharged Roush Coyote
Not Ranked     

Unlike Patrick I let my wife go on the BDR website and see the price for herself. Too bad she did not realize it did not include engine and transmission. Oh well....I guess I will burn in hell for it later!

I am not sure how the Coyote will perform without the SC, but the 1124 car with the 5 speed TKO..5th gear is hardly used. in 5th its 80MPH at just over 2300 RPM. Its a good cruising gear but the engine wants more RPMs. I cannot imagine the need for a 6 speed. I was on the phone with Jay today ordering powder coated door latches and was discussing how this engine and LSD like 3rd and 4th gears.

In 1st and 2nd the 1124 car cannot use all the power and actually stay hooked up..3rd gear nailing it with the boost is crazy.. I had one friend ask me to slow down or let him out. 4th gear again with the boost is crazy. The car hits 110MPH so quickly its hard to push the shifter into 5th.. after that its time to shut the car down as I did not have VMS install wings on the car and it gets very light in the front end around 125MPH.

I will say this.. Break your budget and upgrade your gauges. Jay came up with a crazy design using speedhut revolution gauges. It was well worth the extra few bucks and make all the difference while driving the car.. especially at night.. VMS designed 2 of the guages to be blue with red sweeps and it really makes the car look intense at night. I will try to get some pictures up of that.. Also really liking the heated seats..

One piece of advice I would give all of you waiting for your car.. Once you get it.. and you are driving around.. do not stop unless you have time to talk about the car.. It is amazing how many people come up to you and ask 100 questions..

Julian.. Good move on the prep work for the supercharger. We did simular prep on my car for the second tune.. well that was until Roush came back with a custom tune for the car.. There will be no second tune!
Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I agree about updating the gauges. The Speethut gauges are a HUGE improvement. Other than adding heated seats, if my car did not have the gauges, that would have been the only other definite upgrade that is relevant to your build. Even in warmer climates, I think the heated seats are well worth it as well, as driving around in cooler nights, with the adrenaline going gives you the shivers a bit. It's nice to have that little bit of warmth.

Last edited by itstock; 06-15-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gauges look great!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Those gauges do look good indeed.

Something to think about, thanks for showing.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've decided on a BackDraft and this thread only serves to reinforce that. Does anyone have pictures of how the 3M looks on the front and on the doors? I still have some time before I place my order so I want to get a feel for all the options.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphonn View Post
I've decided on a BackDraft and this thread only serves to reinforce that. Does anyone have pictures of how the 3M looks on the front and on the doors? I still have some time before I place my order so I want to get a feel for all the options.
I have full 3M - front, doors, fender... love it :-)

Indigo blue - you have to be very close to notice.

If you sedn me your email I will take close up pictures...
Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scohen2266 View Post
I will say this.. Break your budget and upgrade your gauges. Jay came up with a crazy design using speedhut revolution gauges. It was well worth the extra few bucks and make all the difference while driving the car.. especially at night.. VMS designed 2 of the guages to be blue with red sweeps and it really makes the car look intense at night. I will try to get some pictures up of that.. Also really liking the heated seats..
Any chance to take a look at those pictures of the gauges?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrracer View Post
Any chance to take a look at those pictures of the gauges?
Scott did sell the car, but his gallery is still here: VINTAGE Motorsports Photo Gallery - Backdraft #1124
mrracer likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

I have car 1368 with the Coyote and trans you want. Very happy with the power train as well as 3M all around. My car is British a Racing green and it is hard to see the 3M. My only
suggestion is to ceramic coat the side pipes. I have seen some other BDR's and the pipes
get discolored and hard to clean. Also,in my opinion, the polished rims on the 18's are well
worth the money. Good luck!

Last edited by Rjscharer; 08-11-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Old 08-11-2015, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

I have car 1368 with the Coyote and trans you want. Very happy with the power train as well as 3M all around. My car is British a Racing green and it is hard to see the 3M. My only
suggestion is to ceramic coat the side pipes. I have seen some other BDR's and the pipes
get discolored and hard to clean. Also,in my opinion, the polished rims on the 18's are well
with the money. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing 427 SC
Not Ranked     

Check out the mirrors from thedreamcarcompany.com , they are excellent. I have them on my BD and I love them. Oil cooler is not needed.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug I View Post
Might have missed it in the thread, but ... Pass. roll-bar yes or no?

Heat shields for the side pipes?
Happy wife, happy life. 'nuff said.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just noticed this thread has recent activity- Forum people were helpful during purchase, thought I should provide update after three years of ownership.

Have driven car about 14K miles now since picking car up at Vintage Motorsports in Connecticut and driving back to California. Car has been mostly problem free, just normal shakedown stuff.
Jay and Brian have been excellent to deal with, very responsive and helpful. Would not hesitate to purchase another Backdraft, especially from Jay at Vintage.

Final configuration
1. Coyote engine
2. TKO600 trans
3. Limited Slip Differential
4. Dual roll bars
5. Seat heaters
6. Soft top
7. A/C – yes it has air conditioning

A/C and top allow driving during 100 degree days in valley before arriving along Pacific coast and cooler weather. Beats leaving Cobra in garage 3 months during prime driving weather.

Did just have to replace tires, back ones somehow wear more thank front, go figure. Did replace with Michelin Pilot Super Sport, big improvement.

Patrick
Kobura and BADSN8K like this.