Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     
Default Tire Help

Anyone running drag radials on the car? Which are the best? Are they suitable for everyday use? Not worried about wearing them out too quick just want to know if its safe to use all the time. I need to get more traction...I am peddling through 1st and 2nd but would like to turn the power into more take-off speed.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

M/T ET streets. I'm on my 3rd set now and wouldn't have anything else.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

I have Nitto Extreme Drag Radials and I'm extremely pleased!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

68 are you running the R 2's??? They have a thicker sidewall apparently & same compound as the 555's-BTW we are neighbors 6t8, my shop is right at Aramingo Ave exit of 95. Love to check out your ride sometime.

Are you guys running all 4 DR's or only on the rear?

Undy do you notice a major cornering change from street tires? I looked at some reviews on the MT's and they seem great for light to light for sure.

Thx!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

I'm right in Valley Forge. Lets cruise!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

All 4 NT555R DR's. These are great performance regardless of light to light or twisties.

Definitely have to get together with you and JB sometime
Old 04-17-2012, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

I have been running Nitto NT-01s on my Backdraft for a couple of years now and they are really nice. These are actually DOT road race tires and you need to have them heat cycled before they ship. Give them about a weeks rest after the heat cycling and you will have an amazing tire, front and back. Tread pattern is pretty aggressive looking and works well with the Backdraft, 315s on the back and they fit fine. They struggle in 1st, but everything else is solid and all the surprises are gone. I'm running a small block at 585 flywheel HP, FI and it hits really hard, used to be a death wish in the first three gears at any speed. All gone now.

Can't comment on how they might work in the rain, no experience yet. Very predictable weather where I am located.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

JB-have a good friend in VF so I get there often would love to get together, 6t8 thx for the info-I think Im going to go with the 555R's myself-I just couldnt figure out if I needed the R 2's or the regular ones you have. I am around 600 HP even 3rd gear is interesting at times so I hope this helps-next is an upgraded brake set up. Looking into an accumulator or something to help with hard stops and low vacuum since I've stalled a few times braking hard to idle.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

W is the heat cycling something that the manufacturer does normally or do I need to get someone to do it for me? Not familiar with the process thx!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBowman View Post
W is the heat cycling something that the manufacturer does normally or do I need to get someone to do it for me? Not familiar with the process thx!
You can get most big suppliers to order the tires heat cycled, if you ask and if you get the right guy. Usually a small white or red circle, about the size of a dime, is stamped on the sidewall to indicate they have been cycled (heated and cooled). Google up something like "race tires heat cycle" or "heat cycle racing slicks" and you will get the idea.

Downside is, if you don't heat cycle a race or sticky type tire compound, the rubber will not cross link properly and it will have pretty good grip at some elevated temperature for a short period of time, but it will wear super fast.....really, really fast.

The NT-01s are pretty standard fare on DOT tire required road race machines running on moderate temperature tracks....below 250 degrees temp at the tires, and that's a bit high actually in my experience. The sidewalls are better suited for street use than most drag radials. And on the street, you will never see temps above that, except maybe in Phoenix or Dallas on black asphalt in August. These tires work really well cool, which is most of the time on a Cobra, and that's where most of the trouble starts anyway. Be careful though, they grip enough to break things up stream pretty easy. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

I have the Nitto Nt 01s. 18 inch wheels. Very good tire.....still need to feather 1st, but good beyond that. Great on wet roads, but need to slow up on standing water. cornering is a hoot and they give enough warning when about to break loose.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

X2 on the MT ET's. 15" at all 4 corners and like them a lot. Seem to hold the turns well.

John
Old 04-18-2012, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
68 are you running the R 2's??? They have a thicker sidewall apparently & same compound as the 555's-BTW we are neighbors 6t8, my shop is right at Aramingo Ave exit of 95. Love to check out your ride sometime.

Are you guys running all 4 DR's or only on the rear?

Undy do you notice a major cornering change from street tires? I looked at some reviews on the MT's and they seem great for light to light for sure.

Thx!
I'm running the 315/35/17s and with the shorter sidewall they corner right well and seem to compliment the front street tires.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thx all...trying to figure out how much stickier I will be with these over the Mich Pilots I have now.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thx all...trying to figure out how much stickier I will be with these over the Mich Pilots I have now.
Night and day difference. I ran those before and it was a great tire, but just not for the kind of HP and weight I was asking it to handle. Dangerous actually.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok so I have decided on the Nitto 01's...I have Mich Pilots now-Front 245/40/ZR17 Rear-335/35/ZR17

I cannot find these same sizes for the Nittos...widest I found was 315...any advice???

Thx
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK...I went with 315/35 on rear and 245/45 on front-a tad taller on front and a little narrower on back but from what the rep told me the traction will be vastly superior than what I have and I can adjust the coil overs on the front if necessary. Thanks for your input gents.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Nittos run narrower that virtually all other MFR's tires, Their 315 is about a 295 when compared to Michelin, BFG, Goodyear etc.

Just saying, if visually width is a consideration for you.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
I'm running the 315/35/17s and with the shorter sidewall they corner right well and seem to compliment the front street tires.
Wait a minute... didn't those 315's put you in the grass by the side of the road year before last?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:08 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Do any of you have a comparison to make with the Nitto NT05's?

It's amazing how far tires have come in the past 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
The Nittos run narrower that virtually all other MFR's tires, Their 315 is about a 295 when compared to Michelin, BFG, Goodyear etc.

Just saying, if visually width is a consideration for you.
Isn't this just for their 555 series?

Last edited by itstock; 04-18-2012 at 02:33 PM..