Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Just a few questions

Hello everyone,

I’m going to start this off by apologizing if I’m asking questions that have already been posed. I’m finding that the search function on here can be both friend and foe. I’ve spent the last day or two trying to educate myself but I do have a few questions that I just can’t seem to find answers for here or on the Backdraft site itself.

I’m sure that a quality vendor could answer these efficiently but I’m easily a month away from that step in the process and am still researching shops to finish the vehicle out. My ‘regular’ shop has politely declined; he’s a diehard GM guy and refuses to ‘soil himself’ on any Ford power train (his words, not mine). And as I’m a firm believer that these cars practically demand a Blue Oval between the fenders, I’m forced to amicably turn away from that 20-year relationship.

The brochure on the Backdraft site states that “more colors are available on request.” Exactly how crazy can I get with this with paint from the factory? For example, say I’d like a RT3B in Burnt Metallic Orange (Mopar FK5), but would like the stripes in Flat Black or in a Matte finish. Would something like that be able to be ordered from the factory or would it have to be farmed out to a reputable paint shop once the chassis arrives state-side? Is there a full color palette available from the factory somewhere? How does one specify a single stripe? I’ve seen these referenced as tri-wide I think.

And speaking of the RT3B, can you specify the degree in which the trim is blacked out? By that I mean can everything but the headlight bezels be blacked out? Or everything but the side pipes? I’m sure that with the parts available on the Backdraft Shop site, switching things out would be relatively simple, but I’m really curious to what degree “custom” means coming from the factory.

Why no mention of the GT body on the home site when the thing is plastered all over the web?

With the interior I’m seeing a wide, and in some examples a seven different kinds of awesome variety with the cars. Different dashes and gauge placement, contrast stitching/piping on the dash, tunnel & seats, and different styles of seating are shown on Backdraft’s site with no real explanation. Can a RT3 be ordered with the dash setup from the RT3 TD or with any other setup I prefer? Is that cross-hatch stitched interior I’m seeing on the site’s gallery the Alacantara option? Can an interior be ordered in black but have just the seats done in red?

I guess what I’m really asking is whether or not everything shown in the gallery on Backdraft’s site and on their FB page is available from the factory or if those cars have had a bit of spit and polish from whatever shop finished them.

If this is Backdraft’s sale practice, offering a “base” car and them having an authorized dealer or recommended shop finish them out to customer specs, I have no problem with that. I have a little experience doing things that way with a Super Seven I had in the 90s and currently with my wife’s 356. I’d just prefer a turnkey-minus to come from the factory as close to how I want it as possible.

The problem is I have no idea what’s factory and what’s not. I know any shop worth its salt can do whatever I ask; as we all know money can move mountains when it comes to customizing cars. I’d just prefer having all my ducks in a row before sitting down to conduct business.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight. The plan is to jump in head first and see how deep this rabbit hole goes (or can go), and I look forward to contributing to the forum. Take care.

B

p.s. Sorry if this double posts, my browser (tablet) isnt very happy with this site.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I know that Backdraft has several options and if you want a special paint I think that is a possibility. Have you spoken to Reg Dodd 561-752-3693 sxt 103 (reg@backdraftracing.com) in Florida? Reg can direct you to the BDR rep in your area which I think is in Cincinnatti.

Backdraft makes a great product and you will be very pleased with your Cobra should you decide to go with them.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

Pardon me, but I don't believe that you have done your homework if you are considering getting a Backdraft and you haven't contacted Vintage MotorSports. There are numerous posts by forum members which give ringing endorsements for dealing with Jay at VMS. Believe me, you owe it to yourself to give him a call.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Jay is who I was thinking of in that area and couldnt' remember his name. Thanks Kobura.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

@Clois Thank you, Clois. No, I havent contacted Mr. Dodd yet. That sounds like a perfect starting point.

@Kobura Vintage Motorsports is on my very short list. From what I've seen and heard that whole operation defines quality. I'm sure Jay and I will have a conversation at some point (he posts as Cashburn, correct?). I'd just like to firm up my starting point a little more. The bug just bit last week while I was in Georgia for work and I chatted up a gentleman from NC with a BDR TD.

I appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

I understand your confusion. Backdrafts are unique to the other manufacturers because we are not as married to the concept of "that's not what a Cobra was" etc. This concept means the finishes, trims, options etc are nearly limitless.

I'd be happy to spend some phone time with you tomorrow, even though you may be weeks/months/years from purchase a little chat now could get you on track.

Our number is easy to remember and toll free: 888.427.1965
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you, Jay. I'll take you up on the offer. I'm free until around 4 pm est tomorrow so give me a time that's good for you and we'll go from there.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLair View Post
Thank you, Jay. I'll take you up on the offer. I'm free until around 4 pm est tomorrow so give me a time that's good for you and we'll go from there.
Anytime 11 - 4. Just ask for me off extension 1.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Neutral     

Bee-I'm on my 2nd BDR, Vintage is doing mine this time around-they'll put pink fur on it if that's what you want

Seriously, you will be in good hands with them.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you, G. After talking with Jay for an hour or so today I'm beginning to think the same.

And Jay? Thanks so much for your time and forthright answers. I received the link just fine. Looks like I have some decisions to make. Choices, choices, choices. Oh, and some room to make as well.

Anybody out there interested in a highly modified C3?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1226
Not Ranked     

Bee- Have a car being built at Vintage as we speak(#1226). To this point the experience could not be better. Jay has been nothing but totally helpful and knowledgeable. I spent about a year or more looking at pictures and reading the post on this site to figure out what I wanted in my Cobra. Jay and the guys took all my ideas and are making it happen. Highly recommend!!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     

They have pictures at the Vintage site?.?? Couldn't help myself Jay

I've been drinking already...good thing I have the boat to satisfy the need for speed but its getting costly at 1.5 gal to the mile!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I own BDR 1072 and Jay at Vintage has been amazing to work with. We spent A LOT of time deciding what to do with the car and Jay was there to consult for every last detail. Whats great is that the possibilities are endless - the car goes back to Jay once a year each year for mods. It's constantly evolving and for me that really makes it fun.

Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: agk
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: agr
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: afr
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: agg
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: aex
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: ago
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: agt
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: agx
Vintage Motorsports Gallery :: Backdraft #1072 :: agn
Old 08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info, das144. That’s a beautiful car. Are the chasers silver or white? Hard to tell on a small tablet.

Right now I’m violently swinging through two extremes. I’ve “built” four different BDRs in my head, going so far as to actually enter everything into a spreadsheet in a sort of quasi-build sheet.

I go from outrageous, monstrously overdone car with enough power/torque to reverse the earth’s rotation, custom carbon fiber/leather interior, Suede paint with carbon fiber accents, hidden radar-laser detectors - you name it - to a very traditional, very “1965” type car. All it takes is one glance at what somebody else has done and I start that violent swinging to whatever end of the spectrum that happens to be.

The build sheet for the monster currently stands at six pages with a 12-pt font if that tells you anything; the traditional takes barely half a page. I want both.

I’ve built, or have had built, more than a few cars. I go through this every time; from obsessing about whether to use 8-sided or 6-sided hex-bolts to saying “Screw it. Just paint it black and let me know when you’re done”.

The equilibrium is always hard for me to find until I’ve rolled it over and over in my head. It’s easy to go extroverted custom; much harder to do something subtle yet tricked to the gills. Thanks for the feedback and the pics, your car is awesome!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

BeeLair in factory of Sorrow, OH...I'm 25 minutes down the road from you if you would like to take a look at an early (#260) bdr car with lots 16K street miles...at least for Northern Ohio. PM me if your interested...
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop
Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR..Ford Boss 351 Aluminum "Z" heads
Not Ranked     

Have you ever thought of picking up the phone and calling BackDraft with your concerns???
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 874 solid red Roush 427 small block 515 hp
Not Ranked     

Jay's the man.

Tags
backdraft