Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 300 series
Not Ranked     
Default Purchased A Used Backdraft

After looking to buy a used Cobra for months I decided to only look for a used Backdraft due to the amazing look and engineering of the Backdraft, thinking that if I love the car as expected, I can always build my own. I own several other high powered beasts like a 11 GT500 and a 09 Viper and others so I know that these cars need to be respected. Anyhow I pulled the trigger
and purchased a used one from Frank Dodd. Wow Frank bent over backward to make the car perfect and the purchase painless. It arrived on the coldest day of the year here in Minnesota and was a true -29 below with a 40 mph wind on top of it. I figured the car would never start once it got here being on the cold truck for a week so I had 5 friends here to help push it up a ice covered driveway and into my heated garage. Wow… turned the fuel pump on and the auto choke on the Holly 750 did its trick and the Cobra started immediately! Even the driver was a bit surprised as he said he had other cars on board that wouldn’t fire even a Lambo failed. Ok so now I have this beautifully loping Backdraft Cobra at the bottom of a very icy driveway and all the horsepower under the sun didn’t help hardly one bit as we all still had to push the car up the driveway that was covered in the slickest ice one could imagine. Some of the guys pushing were falling and sliding down the driveway as they pushed, it was a You Tube moment for sure. Anyhow the Prowler Orange Cobra was now in the warm garage and totally covered with thick white frost so I could barely even see it. After it thawed out I couldn’t resist starting to detail the car out and getting to know it. All I can say is "Wow" Impressed at everything about the car from the wiring to the paint and everything in Between. The next day my ear drum ruptured from the severe cold and wind /not fun/ not hearing in stereo for a while is a small price to pay for having one of my dream cars in my garage I guess.
Now to say this spring is going to come slow with over 10 feet of snow piled in my yard and a very cool car waiting to be driven.

Its build number # 310 and has a 351W crate stroked to 392. It’s a bit different in color combo with the pearl orange with the gold stripes. It also has a brand new convertible top and tonneau cover thanks to Frank. I look forward to adding more goodies to it this winter. It has the flanged headers and seems to be very well sorted. Ill post a few picts later. Anybody who has any history or knowledge of this car they want to share would be awesome. I look forward to sharing this great forum. Sorry for the long post!
Doug

Last edited by Goodbar; 02-16-2014 at 09:50 PM..
Old 02-16-2014, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Congrats hoping my SPF gets here tomorrow by truck. Same deal no way it can go in my garage so a friend is letting my store it in his hangar until Spring. Let's send those pics!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
Congrats hoping my SPF gets here tomorrow by truck. Same deal no way it can go in my garage so a friend is letting my store it in his hangar until Spring. Let's send those pics!
You wont be sleeping much tonight... I trust. Congrats on the SPF, is it new?
It sucks getting a Car this cool in Winter but It gives some serious polishing time. Mine was dusted with fine road salt from the long truck drive. Congrats in advance
Doug
Old 02-17-2014, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Used with 4400 miles #1309. Yeah it's going to be torture waiting to drive it!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I am planning on picking up my used ERA this Saturday and driving it home 250 miles in 42 degrees temp with no top or heater! I will love every minute of the ride. It will suck when the weather turns cold again. But I will be ordering my top and heater today, so that will give me some time to get them installed. Warm weather is almost uponus.

Jim
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For Gods sake cover your ears! The engine should throw off enough heat to keep the rest of you a bit warm, at least at stop lights. Congrats and enjoy. or by the time this gets to you...hope you made it home happy!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
Used with 4400 miles #1309. Yeah it's going to be torture waiting to drive it!
Maybe we should get studded F1s and official cobra snowmobile suits. We just got another 8 inches of snow today so snow is now officially piled 14ft high in front of my house.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft blueprinted 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Congrats

I purchased my used (build #703) from Woodbury, Minnesota in Dec. 2012. The shipping company damaged it in transit - still refusing to pay the $13,000 repair bill - do not use Enclosed Vehicle Transport! Fun to drive and great attention getter.

50 degrees in Utah today - took it out for a spin. The gawkers and cameras were out too. Great fun.

Congrats.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbar View Post
Maybe we should get studded F1s and official cobra snowmobile suits. We just got another 8 inches of snow today so snow is now officially piled 14ft high in front of my house.
Same here we are at 100 inches so far.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Kalvin;1286029]I purchased my used (build #703) from Woodbury, Minnesota in Dec. 2012. The shipping company damaged it in transit - still refusing to pay the $13,000 repair bill - do not use Enclosed Vehicle Transport! Fun to drive and great attention getter.

Ouch I can only imagine your heart was in your sock when you saw the damage to
your new ride. I thought all transport companies were insured, Not sure how they can deny the claim. I imagine that your repair shop had to do a full repaint? What happened during transport to damage the car? perhaps we can all learn something on how to prevent what your going through. Glad its fixed hope they come through with the claim.

I worried about the extreme semi truck bouncing and stress on the fiberglass in the kind of extreme cold weather we had during the transport of mine. But it seemed to not bother it at all. Still cant believe it fired right up.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #721, Performance Engineering 427
Not Ranked     

Hey Goodbar

Congrats on the Backdraft!! I'm a fellow snowbound Backdraft owner from MN. Looking forward to June - When it's finally warm enough to get them out.

Does yours have a TKO 600 trans?
Old 02-23-2014, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1226
Not Ranked     

Enjoy your new car!! Be safe.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotta P View Post
Hey Goodbar

Congrats on the Backdraft!! I'm a fellow snowbound Backdraft owner from MN. Looking forward to June - When it's finally warm enough to get them out.

Does yours have a TKO 600 trans?
Thanks Igotta P much on the congrats, The Transmission I Have in mine is a the T5 7003-z (z box) world class transmission with all the hardened components etc. I hope I like the ratios when I finally get to drive the car.
Glad to hear of another in this snowy wasteland. What part of the State are you in? Time is ticking pretty slow here.
Another used Backdraft was purchased Fri by a guy that lives near me, he gets his Backdraft this Wed and he is excited as all heck. I’m going to help him take delivery Wed eve. Probably in a snowstorm) LOL. Looking forward to getting together with other Mn Cobra owners this summer for sure.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddl View Post
Enjoy your new car!! Be safe.
Thanks toddl, I'll for sure play it safe with this little beast.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance with Roush 427 R
Not Ranked     

Enjoy and congrats!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

Goodbar...I think you'll like the BDR car. It rides nice, handle well and looks Sweet! I have BDR car #260 for 7 plus years...it's been the most fun car I have owned!
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #863
Not Ranked     

Hello all the other dumb Minnesotans. I took position of BDR #863 just before the snow got to us. Let me tell you that you will be in for a treat spending some time behind the wheel. I still get a smile on my face as I remember putting the peddle on the floor. I am just south and west of the cities and would quite enjoy a gathering of our loud toys.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
Goodbar...I think you'll like the BDR car. It rides nice, handle well and looks Sweet! I have BDR car #260 for 7 plus years...it's been the most fun car I have owned!
Good to hear the nice comments like this about the BDRs. Thanks to this Forum and photos, the choice seemed pretty easy. For the money these cars are really a steel in my opinion. Yep I have other fast sports cars and even a 34 ford street Rod but they all leave me feeling likes something missing. I think the cobra will finally fill the primal urge. Just looking at this amazing and beautiful car in my at least - warm garage- makes me happy and giddy. I am just going crazy as I can’t even fire it up in the driveway, it’s been well below zero nearly every day and with the glare ice in the driveway I would never get it back in the garage. I have done a lot of satisfying detailing since I got it and its looking pretty pristine so it’s at least keeping me busy for now. My friends BDR is on a truck heading here from the south and he is really going crazy, calls me every day to talk cobras...
Old 02-27-2014, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbatman View Post
Hello all the other dumb Minnesotans. I took position of BDR #863 just before the snow got to us. Let me tell you that you will be in for a treat spending some time behind the wheel. I still get a smile on my face as I remember putting the peddle on the floor. I am just south and west of the cities and would quite enjoy a gathering of our loud toys.
Well Snowbatman your even more Brillant than me. LOL . In July It might reach the high 30s so well all meet up then
Sounds like a blast for sure.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #721, Performance Engineering 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbar View Post
Thanks Igotta P much on the congrats, The Transmission I Have in mine is a the T5 7003-z (z box) world class transmission with all the hardened components etc. I hope I like the ratios when I finally get to drive the car.
Glad to hear of another in this snowy wasteland. What part of the State are you in? Time is ticking pretty slow here.
Another used Backdraft was purchased Fri by a guy that lives near me, he gets his Backdraft this Wed and he is excited as all heck. I’m going to help him take delivery Wed eve. Probably in a snowstorm) LOL. Looking forward to getting together with other Mn Cobra owners this summer for sure.
I'll be interested to hear what you think about your T5 as I'm not that thrilled with my TKO. I hope the other guy's delivery went well - Nothing like the pain of putting a BDR away right after delivery. BTW, I'm a little north of St. Cloud. Where are you from?