Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 300 series
Not Ranked     
Default Registering A BDR or Cobra In Minnesota?

Help Please. Any Minnesota BDR or other fellow Cobra Owners. I just Got a very bad letter from the DMV after registering and paying the reasonable MN registration fee of 222.00 - Plus no yearly expensive tabs needed each year so it saves many thousands of dollars if one can get collector plates. (as no taxes are charged for collector cars in Minnesota). So the letter states it’s really a 2005 Cobra Replica and there for… I now owe thousands in taxes and cannot get collector plates. The title was listed and title before as a Year 1965 Make Roas Body Type CV So the nice DMV Lady asks what is a Roas? I said “a Cobra Roadster” (I believe this was my BIG Mistake ?) Maybe Backdraft keeps it generic for a reason.
Anyhow at this point, I am wondering and stressing out trying to get info as to whether anyone else who has a BDR or any Cobra Replicar in Mn - did you get collector plates? That is the burning question !
I swear I have seen collector plates on Cobras in Mn. but I might be imagining it all... For crying out loud this isn’t a daily driver and charging for one is ridiculous. There may be a loop hole, as they have a vague statue that states if it’s made after 1935 and only 500 or less were made that year it may be considered a collector car. I am guessing Backdraft only made about 150 cars that year. Also another issue if the title goes from 1965 as it is now to 2005 it may hurt the resale value for others not wanting to pay sales tax. I really appreciate any feedback, ideas etc from Mn BDR owners or other brand of manufactured Cobra Did You get collector plates, and how did you do it??? Thanks so much in advance for any help.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: scratch build self design 4.6l DOHC
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the communist state of Minn. You used to be able to transfer a title from another state as a 1965 if it was titled as such in that state. If the title had 2005 as manufactured date anywhere they got you, or they must have closed the loop hole. "Join the club we have Jackets" Try titling a scratch built car.

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterpatrick View Post
Well, Everyone I haven't had much to say on the build thread this summer as I have been going through what turned out to be the most difficult aspect of the whole build. But as of 5:30 pm (when I get home from work) I hold the title for my car. Never did I think that it would be this much red tape and bureaucracy to go through to get a car titled. Now understand that this is not a typical "KIT Build" this was a Scratch Built car. It all started last Oct. when I applied for title, here is a summery of what I went through.

Step 1. Apply for title. Two forms application for title, affidavit of reconstruction. This is to get the ball rolling give them your receipts all id numbers from all major components and pictures from all four sides. Pay the tax on fair market value of your vehicle (charged tax on your own labor). At this point they are supposed to give you temp plates so that you can use your vehicle to get it back and forth for inspections. Three of the offices I visited would not issue plates to me at this point, turned and walked away try another. Make appointment for inspection NOW!!

Step 2. After A FEW WEEKS you get the paperwork back, hopefully your appointment is till valid (No title yet). You are required to have your vehicle inspected this is to make sure the parts you put on the affidavit are the parts in your car and not stolen. At inspection they stamp your paperwork and send you back to the DMV, to apply for a VIN tag.Make another appointment at inspection station NOW!!

Step 3. FEW more WEEKS wait VIN tag shows up at inspection station you will be notified by mail it has been sent there. Again hope your appointment is valid. Go to inspection office inspector will look over your paperwork again and the stick the VIN tag to your car oh yea it is a freaking sticker and yes they have to be the ones who place the tag to your car. Oh yea still no title yet, inspector stamps your paperwork again and sends you back to the DMV.

Step 4. back to the DMV to finally file the final paperwork (and pay inspection fee) to get your title, wait SIX-EIGHT weeks for title to show up. hopefully your temp plates have not expired. You have just made the journey of a life time.

******* You rolled snake eyes go back one step***********

You receive letter from the state we cannot process your application for title you must provide a Surety Bond for 1.5 times the value of your car for three years. WTF!!!! more time and money later I send the paperwork for the bond into the state and now finally I get a title for my car.

I sure glad I got temp plates because, I have been out driving my car weather permitting the whole summer. I would have gone postal on someone if I was still waiting to get plates. But for now the journey is over and I can say that I did build a car from nothing and it is tagged and titled.

If you don't hear from me, I'm out enjoying "My Car"
Patrick

Well, it occurs to me that perhaps not all of the modifications I made are technically 'street legal'

Nothing good ever happened after this statement;
Hey Moe watch this!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #721, Performance Engineering 427
Not Ranked     

Hey Goodbar

If you haven't already done so, see MN Statute 168.10. You're the proud owner of a 2005 Backdraft! Remember, this is a good thing. In 2016, I believe your car will qualify as a Collector. In the mean time, satisfy the DMV. The first time you roll in your car, your stress will be forgotten. Pay them back by leaving long strips of rubber burned into the pavement.

I have seen Collector plates on Cobra replicas in MN. Whatever loophole there was may have closed in around you. Sorry buddy. Note that anyone who has Collector plates, and who doesn't comply with 168.10, probably wouldn't admit it. Just sayin...
Old 03-12-2014, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #863
Not Ranked     

You have just done your latest part to help pay for more bike paths. My car was titled as a 1964 when I received it. I ran into trouble as BDR or Backdraft is not a real car company that anyone knows. So it then got tagged as a kit car and I received all of the taxes that go along with it.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 300 series
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotta P View Post
Hey Goodbar

If you haven't already done so, see MN Statute 168.10. You're the proud owner of a 2005 Backdraft! Remember, this is a good thing. In 2016, I believe your car will qualify as a Collector. In the mean time, satisfy the DMV. The first time you roll in your car, your stress will be forgotten. Pay them back by leaving long strips of rubber burned into the pavement.

I have seen Collector plates on Cobra replicas in MN. Whatever loophole there was may have closed in around you. Sorry buddy. Note that anyone who has Collector plates, and who doesn't comply with 168.10, probably wouldn't admit it. Just sayin...
Thanks for the replys guys, yep its just too bad there is not a catagory and acceptance like other states have for these type of cars. It is this change in going from 1965 to a build date is gonna hurt the value of these MN cars as then the next state may charge them taxes and refuse them collector plates and so on. Some say it dosent matter what year... but the fact is that it affects future owners if sold and limits greatly who would buy it... because of yearly tab sticker hassels and yearly fees and then the very high registration costs. I also cannot understand the difference between a fiberglass street rod that is basically a replica that looks like a 30s, 40s or 50s car that I also do feel they do deserve collector plates as they are driven on a few weekend sunny days but whats the difference of those cars and a vinatge cobra replica? Yes I will smile driving my cobra with the huge tax bill behind and forgotten but its a bitter pill to swallow when I was expecting paying hundreds not thousands in fees. Yep more wasted Tax money from my hard work. Remember we paid taxes to get the money it took to buy our cars, Fed and State/Fica and then again on it to spend it on the car and then again to put gas in it, and oh yeh the expensive Tax disguised as tabs every 4 months of the short drive window here in the arctic. It adds up fast. Remember we cant drive our cobras nearly as much as southern owners.
-I still want to hear back from more MN cobra owners on what their situation was and is on titles, any battles, taxes and suprise changes to their titles. Cheers