Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     
Default Wheel cleaning

I have a Backdraft #382 and wanted to know what I should use to clean the aluminum rims? I'm not sure if they are clear coated or not so I rubbed a clean rag on them and didn't get any black residue which leads me to believe they are clear coated. The rear are spotty with some what looks like pit marks and the front are pretty clean. The rims are 17 inch stock from Backdraft.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

I have 17 inch wheels with polished lips. They are not coated, so I need to be careful about washing/cleaning them so as to not scratch them. Nevertheless, I have noticed some scratching to the finish which makes them a little less polished looking. I have been told that Mother's polishing compound will remove minor scratches along with quite a lot of elbow grease. Having tried to remove some scratches to the polished aluminum windshield frame using Mother's, I have decided that I need to get yet another power tool to polish the aluminum on my car. Maybe someone else can recommend the proper procedure and tool(s) to use for polishing relatively small surfaces like rims and windshield frames.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

If they are not clear coated, Blue Magic works great.

LA
Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

For routine cleaning, use whatever your cleaning the rest of the car with.

To re-polish, I like Mother's billit polish on uncoated wheels.

If the wheels are uncoated, you can use some Pledge spray for a quick polish.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-02-2014, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Does anyone know if any backdrafts came with coated 17 Inch knock off wheels or is there a way to test the rim to tell 100% if it's coated or not?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

Mine are not coated as well...I wipe down with quick detailer like the rest of the car in between full cleanings. For the full cleanings, I use a Mother's powerball with aluminum polish.

One quick test could be to put a drop of water on the wheel...if after it dries you don't have more than just a surface water mark that wipes off (vs. needing to be polished off), you have a clear coat.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

If you use metal polish and the polish turns black when buffing you are on metal. When I first got my car I used wesleys white wall cleaner on the tires and it blemished the wheels. The only way I could describe it was like very fine pitting. The polishes didnt completely get rid of the marks and I struggled with it for a couple of years. What finally got the wheels shining like new again was 000 steel wool. Buff with the steel wool, you will see the nice shine come back quickly. Then use polish.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

white diamond, exotic metal polish will get rid of any surface contamination. Mothers billet not regular. mothers Only way to get rid of pits or scratches you can feel with your finger nail is sand with 800 grit than 1000 than machine polish with cotton sisal wheel with brown rouge than cotton wheel with jewelers rouge. need about 3500 rpm on 6" wheel. why they were never coated outside cost savings is besides me.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, After cleaning is there a way to protect them?
Old 04-02-2014, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Performance unlimited sells a metal sealer than is transparent
Old 04-02-2014, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #318, 418 CI, 532 RWHP, Mass Flow Injected, TKO600-Road Race, BMW M3 Suspension, Race Springs (Wouldn't do it again, rough on the street).
Not Ranked     

On a recommendation from friend with an aluminum pontoon boat, I bought something called Shark Skin and used on some polished aluminum engine parts a couple of years ago and they still look great. It's a liquid that is wiped on and is some kind of polymer concoction that forms a bullet proof hard and clear coating. Just haven't had the guts of use it on the wheels yet. Might be an option.