Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     
Default Car washing

Hi again...getting delivery of a new to me Backdraft this week. The car has less then 300 miles on it. I will be happy to post pictured and list the car's equipment
in the future.

I have enjoy reading the dozens of posts from club members to help get an advanced education on the car. But knowing the first thing I will do is wash it,
does anyone have some tips on a system they might have devised on how not to
get water inside the car? I get the obvious steps of not getting a stream of water
past the belt line,etc. Does anyone stay away from those areas by just running a wet sponge over the tops of the doors etc and leaving it at that?

Sounds like an obvious question, but I do not want to be a Uboat commander
right off the bat.

Much thanks
Old 07-15-2014, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#436 - 351W - 450HP / 429TQ
Not Ranked     

Most times a California Duster and/or quick detailer with a microfiber cloth is all mine needs. I did wash with soap/water a few times - just kept the hose away from the interior, didn't focus the water too much on the hood, trunk & door gaps, etc.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Southern Roadcraft, 383 SBC
Not Ranked     

and don't use a sponge either - you need to become a master of the two bucket method for washing car - especially dark colour ones to prevent swirlies - check out the link here

Two-Bucket Wash Method » DetailingSpot

Microfibre clothes are a must, never sponges

rgds and enjoy the new motor

Gary
Old 07-15-2014, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     

Wash one half at a time keeping that half facing down hill then turn it around and repeat. I had my Backdraft 6 months and washed it once. I use the detail spray once a week and it looks great
Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

I've pretty much abandoned washing my cars with water. I never drive them in the rain. They rarely get really dirty (mud, road grime, etc.) and usually just are dusty. Mostly it's road dust and insects. A California Duster and some Prevette's detail wax spray with a microfiber towel, and she's good as new!

Seriously, washing your car regularly only leads to it's eventual decay. Water is the universal solvent on planet Earth. Soak anything in it long enough, and it will eventually break down and corrode away. Water soaks into every crack and crevice and starts to eat away at your precious car every time you wash it. Think about that the next time you are needlessly washing a dusty car. We are just custodians of these cars. It will likely outlive you and be passed on to another lucky owner. You are contributing to the premature demise of your precious Cobra whilst needlessly washing it!
Old 07-15-2014, 06:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#1344/Dart SBF 427
Not Ranked     

I found some waterless car wash stuff (by Mequires I think. It's white in color) at O'Reillys. I usually keep in clean with the quick detailer and microfiber, but the car was at my buddies shop for a week getting the RMS replaced and pretty filthy. Used this stuff and the microfiber as directed and it worked out great. I used a hose once, and I'll never do it again. No matter how careful you are, water will get in the car, engine compartment and truck. Made more of a mess than what it was worth. No more hose for me. Use the waterless liberally and the dirt will lift up. Gently, and I mean gently wipe it off with a microfiber and follow behind with another one. Finished off with the detail spray. Looked great.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Neutral     

It is a "REPLICA". It is not a $1,000,000+ Shelby Cobra...

I drive it whenever I want, I wash it like a regular car, I just try to keep water out of the interior... I get caught out in the rain 5-6 times a year in it.. Big deal.....

It isn't going to melt or rust away....

Kevin.....
Russell9318 and negcarry like this.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

There's a product called "Wet Paint" that is a cleaner and a wax all in one. I heard great things about it and finally tried some. It's everything they claim it is. Just spray it on, rub it in like you are waxing it, let it dry and buff it off. Cleans and shines at the same time. You will not be disappointed. Look it up on the net, they have a video etc.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

I’ve never washed my superformance in the 3 years I’ve owned it. I occasionally do a quick clean up with detail spray (Mequires I think) and microfiber cloth. It’s fairly dusty right now, but oh well.

Last edited by Voyager; 07-15-2014 at 09:50 AM..
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey 65 View Post
It is a "REPLICA". It is not a $1,000,000+ Shelby Cobra...

I drive it whenever I want, I wash it like a regular car, I just try to keep water out of the interior... I get caught out in the rain 5-6 times a year in it.. Big deal.....

It isn't going to melt or rust away....

Kevin.....
+1

I don't get caught in the rain as much as you, but if you don't go out and enjoy the car why have it?

Yep, it is a VERY special car. Take care of it. But use it. Enjoy it. Don't save it for the "next" guy.

Jack
Old 07-15-2014, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I personally have never washed my SPF in the 7 years I've owned it. I use a California duster and follow it up with meguiars detail spray.

Of course, I live in Southern California and it never gets wet or driven on dirt or gravel roads. It only gets a little dusty at times.

I did watch a shop wash a cobra one time and they basically dusted the car first then used a low pressure water hose to wet the entire car. Then they soaped it down and very carefully rinsed it off with the hose. Then they used a compressed air gun to blow water from the car and from the seams. Didn't need to be dried after that.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

I love these threads. After 8 years on the road (and a gravel driveway) mine is well-worn and is lucky to get a really good washing twice a year. What it usually gets is the coin-op. Spray, then fill a bucket and scrub, then rinse, then wipe off whatever snuck over the edge onto the seats.
A couple weeks back I spotted a carwash fundraiser run by my old HS football team so I swung in and let them do it while regaling them with gridiron tales of daring-do from the days of yore.
They were very careful and did a decent job.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Drill a few holes in the floor
Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I personally have never washed my SPF in the 7 years I've owned it. I use a California duster and follow it up with meguiars detail spray.

Of course, I live in Southern California and it never gets wet or driven on dirt or gravel roads. It only gets a little dusty at times.

I did watch a shop wash a cobra one time and they basically dusted the car first then used a low pressure water hose to wet the entire car. Then they soaped it down and very carefully rinsed it off with the hose. Then they used a compressed air gun to blow water from the car and from the seams. Didn't need to be dried after that.
Ditto. Might clay bar the care when I think it's been way too long, but normally just detail spray and a microfiber towerl.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The for sale ads for these cars would be quite different... Bahaha
6t8stang likes this.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

This is kind of a funny thread. You live in Florida it's going to get wet. You are going to drive in the rain at some point. Why are you going to wash it when you get? Go drive the damn thing, when you get home let it cool off and wipe it down. Micro fiber and Speed Wax from Garage One (online from Tampa) is all I use, I can't imagine washing it, just clean it when necessary. Do you clean your best suit every time you where it? I just got back from a 1500 mile trip, drove 3 hours in the rain getting home, buy a wet vac and enjoy your car!!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

+1 on the rarely wash. I use the California duster after every drive and cleaner as needed. About once every week or so I also use a detail spray which seems to have really preserved the wax.

I've owned the car for a year+ and just put my first wax on it and still not convinced it needed it.

The detail sprays out there are amazing! I am a big fan of Zaino brothers for just about everything but their Micro Fiber Borderless towels have no equal!!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 408
Not Ranked     

Rjscharer

PM me

cHarley
Old 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
I've pretty much abandoned washing my cars with water. I never drive them in the rain. They rarely get really dirty (mud, road grime, etc.) and usually just are dusty. Mostly it's road dust and insects. A California Duster and some Prevette's detail wax spray with a microfiber towel, and she's good as new!

Seriously, washing your car regularly only leads to it's eventual decay. Water is the universal solvent on planet Earth. Soak anything in it long enough, and it will eventually break down and corrode away. Water soaks into every crack and crevice and starts to eat away at your precious car every time you wash it. Think about that the next time you are needlessly washing a dusty car. We are just custodians of these cars. It will likely outlive you and be passed on to another lucky owner. You are contributing to the premature demise of your precious Cobra whilst needlessly washing it!
Washing (and drying) your car occasionally with water and car soap is good idea. Water and car soap remove any visible and invisible contaminants that detailers can't. And certainly any detailer wax or whatever contains chemicals, which could harm your car's paint as well, over time.

Folks have been washing cars with water for a VERY long time and our paint hasn't "decayed." But bird poop, tree sap, bugs, tar, "acid rain", etc., can and will. And imagine this, the best detail shops actually use water and car soap.

Anyway, by the time our car's paint "decays", we'll all be farting dust in our rocking chairs.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Car Washing

I agree with some type of Speed Shine and microfiber cloth if the car is not dirty. However if it is fiberglass it will naturally fade alittle over time. Go to carcareonline.com and order yourself some P21S Polish Enhancing Gloss and some P21S Carnauba Wax. These products are amazing and when used together will make your paint look very deep, shiny, and protect it. They are the best on the market and reasonably priced. No affiliation with the company but they also will spend the time and discuss your needs with you.
Good luck.