Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Gas fumes

I have BDR #1234 with a Coyote 5.0 motor. About one year old since purchased new and really love the car.

One issue that's always been present is a very noticeable gasoline odor when driving, which would linger for a day or two when parked. This seems very unusual and disconcerting. I've never smelled gas fumes on any of the 30 or so production cars I've owned and can't imagine why it would be "normal" in a BDR which should have a similar sealed fuel system. As a boat owner, I know never to start a motor when gas fumes are detected, so I'm very concerned that I may have a potential explosive situation going on here. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cashburn, I know you have a lot of experience with Coyote installs, so I would truly value your input. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:13 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Does this thread help at all?

BDR fuel leak
Old 09-02-2014, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks. But there isn't a leak.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2608, Roush 427SR T-W
Not Ranked     

Is your tank sealed? Most Cobra tanks are open to the atmosphere. I know my SPF is vented and it stinks. The smell of gasoline and leather is a little intoxicating.....
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Your tank by design is vented through the gas cap. But that will not cause a fuel smell while driving. More than likely you have a small (or several) leak along your fuel line (perhaps even the return) that is misting when you are running and it is minor enough that it will not puddle or drip, but rather evaporate.

You need to run your hands along the whole system of hoses and fittings.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Your tank by design is vented through the gas cap. But that will not cause a fuel smell while driving. More than likely you have a small (or several) leak along your fuel line (perhaps even the return) that is misting when you are running and it is minor enough that it will not puddle or drip, but rather evaporate.

You need to run your hands along the whole system of hoses and fittings.
Cashburn is correct. I had a gas fume smell (stench) that lingered in my garage for days and finally found a very slight leak at my fuel pump. Just a couple drops were collecting on the bottom of the pump and that was enough to set up a terrible stench. It wasn't leaking when not running - it was all from the couple drops left from the last run. After fixing that I now just have the customary exhaust fumes that every old car has and that usually dissapate after a few hours in the garage.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Leak Diagnosis

With a Coyote motor I’m assuming fuel injection, thus electric fuel pump. I believe on most all fuel injected engines, when you turn the key to the “ON” position, the fuel pump will run to pressurize the fuel rails prior to starting,

For diagnosis, without starting the engine, turn the key to the “ON” position. This should turn the fuel pump on temporarily to pressurize the fuel rails. You can then look and smell for a leak in the engine bay (or anywhere you have fuel lines). You could even put a shop rag under where rubber hoses meet hard lines to help spot leaks. If you don’t see anything the first time, cycle the ignition switch off and back on to turn the pump on again. Note that you may have to wait a few seconds or even remove the key to allow the relays to reset and make the pump come on again when placed back in “ON”. Doing this with everything cold should slow evaporation and make the leak easier to find.

I had a similar leak on a passenger car where I had replaced a rubber fuel line where fuel enters one of the fuel rails, and I suppose over time, either the new hose shrank and/or the clamp loosened and a leak developed at this connection. Tightening the clamp stopped the leak.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra
Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     
Default gas smell

mine had that problem with no leaks, turn out to be gas in vent line to long Cut it shorter so it would not pool up in bend of hose.
make sure it run's straight down with no bends to make it vent better.
ED
Old 09-03-2014, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

If you smell gas, you have a leak or seepage somewhere.

Start at the gas tank breather and work your way forward. Let your nose guide you.