Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dwight

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 1048
Not Ranked     
Default Stuck oil filter

Any tricks to getting a stuck oil filter off, It's a large NAPA 1515 filter and the clearance from the end to the frame is less than an inch making an end socket or even a metal slip on oil wrench impossible to get on. I tried a rubber strap wrench and it started to crush the filter so I stopped. Any advise?
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

crush it
it has to come off and your going to install a new one.

I have driven a screw driver thru the filter to get it off

Dwight
FatBoy and dave from mesa like this.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by genolan View Post
Any tricks to getting a stuck oil filter off, It's a large NAPA 1515 filter and the clearance from the end to the frame is less than an inch making an end socket or even a metal slip on oil wrench impossible to get on. I tried a rubber strap wrench and it started to crush the filter so I stopped. Any advise?
This has happened to me as well. I tried removing a cold filter and it wouldn't budge and started to crush.

Get yourself a large wrench like this:

https://www.channellock.com/440-Straight-Jaw-Plier.aspx

Close it around the filter, crush it until the wrench has a solid grip on the filter. Then Lean over and put all your weight into the handle of the wrench and maintain constant pressure until the filter turns. Don't rock back and forth, keep the pressure constant and the seal will eventually give and the filter will turn.

Good luck
Old 10-20-2014, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Go ahead and crush it. It will crush to the point where it will start to spin.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was trying to avoid the crush it approach but I guess I have no choice.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

I've removed a couple in the past by driving a large screwdriver through the filter and then use the screwdriver like a T-handle. Works pretty well.

Good luck

Ted
Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

If you can get some large channel lock pliers on it near the seal end, you wo't have to crush it to get it off. Driving a large screw driver throughout it always works, but is a little messy.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem but was able to get it loose with a strap wrench. I then replaced the filter with a canton remote filter system. Got most of the parts I needed from Summit racing. It's not an easy job but now the filter is located under the radiator fill. If you don't know how to put ends on AN hose get someone who does do it. At least now the filter is easy to access but you must use the NAPA or Wicks filter. All others will leak. I tried several.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately all the Ford Engine installs in most Cobra Chassis that do not utilize a remote filter mount end up with either the use of an undersized filter or one that is very difficult to access. Best option is to carefully plan a remote filter location. Barring that, the nipple that the filter screws onto CAN be shortened to allow for a longer filter to inserted between the frame member.

Here's How:

Measure how many full threads the filter can has in it (this will vary by brand of filter). Engage threads in filter and screw it on the number of turns so the nipple threads are engaged fully, then measure carefully fronm the filter gasket to the block mounting pad, this dimension is how much can be removed from the nipple itself. By doing this you may be able to find a longer filter that will fit, or at least allow for a little more room to install existing filter and for fitting wrench to install or remove. It's not necessary to overtighten when installing.
You can also get creative by using a GM Sourced 13/16 thread filter and machine and weld together portions of each mounting nipple. There are aftermarket filters such as K&N #3002 that is sized between a Ford full size FL1 and Ford's popular FL300.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 10-20-2014 at 11:38 AM..
Old 10-21-2014, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I finally got it off by using a rubber strap wrench and a piece of curved metal to place under the pivot arm to spread out the pressure so as not to crush the filter. It worked so well the filter came off without crushing.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's the exact reason I have a set of 18" channel locks. No stuck oil filter has ever beaten them!