Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 427BDR

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Introducing my new backdraft

Hi All

just wanted to post some pics of my new BDR.

picked it up a month ago and love the way it's come together. Alistair at Millerspeed in Redondo Beach was awesome to work with. He knows these cars inside and out and the result is a solid build. and we all know these cars have quirks and issues that need to be constantly addressed and Alistair has been great to work with over the phone and via emails to help sort out issues as they arise. If you're out west I highly recommend reaching out to him if you have Cobra related questions or are in the market for one.

Specs:
Smeding 427 Cobra: ~580 hp
Tremec TKO 600 (0.82 OD)
McLeod Clutch
Heated seats
Ceramic coated side pipes and headers
Millerspeed Pulleys
Expel clear film: Front, rear fenders and top of doors
and a big grin on my face

I've enjoyed the beast for 200 miles, it drives solid and looking forward to racking up the miles as we get into spring. Keeping an eye on a couple of things, oil consumption on the Smeding is high (no smoke or leaks) but expecting it to level off as it breaks in and the rings seat. and the side pipes rattle like a can of bolts during low speed engine braking. Will update on both as I get more miles on the car.

thanks for looking
mln385 and mate like this.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Very nice ride you have there sir.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR
Not Ranked     

Awesome ride looks great really like the gold inlay on rims.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Trooper View Post
Very nice ride you have there sir.
thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mln385 View Post
Awesome ride looks great really like the gold inlay on rims.
Thank you! not sure how the wheels ended up with the goldish hue in the pics. they are actually gray like in the pic below:
Old 11-22-2014, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427BDR View Post
... Keeping an eye on a couple of things, oil consumption on the Smeding is high (no smoke or leaks) but expecting it to level off as it breaks in and the rings seat ...
Nice BDR, congrats!

There's the old school on break-in, pamper for the 1st 600 miles then drive it like you intend to - and the new school that says put that engine through its' paces immediately with a good break-in oil. I'm sure some engine builders will chime in, most crate motors are dyno'd right after completion - full load on the engine up to redline with several pulls to dial it in - that process breaks in the motor. The longer you wait, the tougher it gets to fully seat the rings because they are getting "seated" right now to the way you are driving it. If the motor has already been dyno'd then don't expect much change in oil consumption from a break-in standpoint, you may have internal clearances not as tight as they should be. If it were me, I would change the oil now, inspect the used oil and filter for metal particulates (nothing big, little stuff expected - saw the oil filter in half), fill with a good BR oil and take it to a chassis dyno for tuning. Kill 3 birds with one stone ...

- motor will be broken in
- you will know what your RWHP and torque actually are @ RPM
- motor will be tuned for optimum power

BTW, oil consumption without smoke or leaks may be a red flag depending on the amount of consumption.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Nice BDR, congrats!

There's the old school on break-in, pamper for the 1st 600 miles then drive it like you intend to - and the new school that says put that engine through its' paces immediately with a good break-in oil. I'm sure some engine builders will chime in, most crate motors are dyno'd right after completion - full load on the engine up to redline with several pulls to dial it in - that process breaks in the motor. The longer you wait, the tougher it gets to fully seat the rings because they are getting "seated" right now to the way you are driving it. If the motor has already been dyno'd then don't expect much change in oil consumption from a break-in standpoint, you may have internal clearances not as tight as they should be. If it were me, I would change the oil now, inspect the used oil and filter for metal particulates (nothing big, little stuff expected - saw the oil filter in half), fill with a good BR oil and take it to a chassis dyno for tuning. Kill 3 birds with one stone ...

- motor will be broken in
- you will know what your RWHP and torque actually are @ RPM
- motor will be tuned for optimum power

BTW, oil consumption without smoke or leaks may be a red flag depending on the amount of consumption.
Excellent post/suggestion.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

Nice ride, congrats!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1058
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the BDR family...
Old 11-23-2014, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the comments and feedback. I'll follow the advice in the engine as well. Spoke to smeding and they said the consumption should go down over the next 500-1000 miles. Will update as I learn more.

Thanks!