Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tpatodd
  • 1 Post By Harley753

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New Backdraft owner

I just picked up a backdraft built in 2009. The car only has 750 miles on it. I went to fill the gas tank for the first time and had nothing but problems. About 3 seconds after pulling the trigger on the gas pump the fuel comes pouring back out. UNDER FORCE. I tried pulling the nozzle out of the tank a little. No success. So I tried pulling the trigger a little less to slow the flow. No success. No matter what I do gas is being forced back up at me. Has anyone else had problems like this? I have a pre #800 car if that helps. Is there a clogged vent line? Where do I look for something like this?
Please help! Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowstang1 View Post
I just picked up a backdraft built in 2009. The car only has 750 miles on it. I went to fill the gas tank for the first time and had nothing but problems. About 3 seconds after pulling the trigger on the gas pump the fuel comes pouring back out. UNDER FORCE. I tried pulling the nozzle out of the tank a little. No success. So I tried pulling the trigger a little less to slow the flow. No success. No matter what I do gas is being forced back up at me. Has anyone else had problems like this? I have a pre #800 car if that helps. Is there a clogged vent line? Where do I look for something like this?
Please help! Thanks
Possibly the vent hose is kinked or plugged. The hose is about a 3/8" size and it runs from the tank to the side of the fill tube just below the body.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I hate to state the obvious, but maybe the tank is already full!

Gas gauges have been known to be wrong.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks jhv48. But the tank is not full. I did check that right away. This happens every time I fill up.
Cashburn. I will check that hose out tomorrow. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These tanks are notoriously a pain to fill. I've experienced the same thing you describe. You need to make sure the pump is flush with the filler hole and push down firmly when pumping. Pump at about 50%-60% on the handle and do not let off until you're done. In my experience If you pump without firmly pressing down on the pump handle it will bubble out.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

I've learned to fill mine slooowwly. I had this happen to me as well.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have had the same problem - I have an early BDR number 0010 and the fuel cell had no venting - thus the tanks burps and was nearly impossible to fill - I had the cell replaced with a custom AL cell that was vented and all is fine now

I would first look at the fuel cell venting and see if the tube is pinched or could be shortened

jim
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

My first BDR (687) did that and only had the 3/8 vent from the corner of the tank to fairly low in the fill tube. The tank had to be filled very slowly like you are descibing. My current car (1311) has that same 3/8 tube but connects in the fill tube several inches higher than my old car did. In addition I also have a smaller vent at the top of the tank off of the center plate where the internal fuel pump is mounted. With these 2 vents and the higher location in the fill tube I have no problem at all fueling. Hope that helps. Steve
Old 01-10-2015, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies.
I have not been able to investigate this. The car is in storage till spring. Would you guys recommend replacing the tank or adding vent to it?
Thanks.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
If the vent hose isn't pinched or closed, look and see where it comes out of the tank at. Getting a new tank could be expensive and if you are able to either enlarge that vent if it is in a good place or add another vent I think that is the way I could go.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

In addition to what Ron says I believe that where (height) the vent tube connects to the filler neck can have a huge effect on how it acts, the higher the better. In effect, if the fuel that you are pushing into the tank is trying to enter the vent tube as well then you experience a back flow as though there were no vent at all. If however the vent opens to an area above where the fuel is being introduced then the displaced air has a place to go and you're not creating your own plug in the system.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: