Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 12-16-2017, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Front wheel rub

Guys, just got my cobra on the road, been sitting in the garage for nearly 3 years whilst I saved up for the rest of the bits, but finally installed 408 with tremic 5 speed, beautiful built by the engine factory, runs and sound sexy as hell, just putting the finishing touches to my baby but got a problem with the left front wheel rubbing when turning half lock on the body, its got 18 inch wheels on it dressed with 265s, it looks like there's heaps of room to the back of the wheel arch thus front wheel looks like it's too far forward but it doesn't seem as though I can adjust it at all, the ride height is set high with 100 mm under the sump so not excessively low, although can't see how raising the car will alleviate the problem, also doesn't seem to rub on the other side, haven't done the final tracking, camber etc yet but have done a wheel alignment myself with line and tape measure, not far off judging road behaviour, thinking of drilling out the wishbone and off setting the bolt position, dunno if that's what you call the painted red brace under the car, but I'm sure you guys will put me right on correct terminology, but car handles fantastic so don't wanna screw that up, any suggestions would be appreciated, gunna try and load some pics, newbie at this site so patience please.:
Old 12-16-2017, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Congratz on finishing up and being on the road! Has to feel good.

You mentioned turning the wheel to 1/2 lock you get a tire rub. Half lock is mid-travel. Are you turning Left or Right? and once past 1/2 lock all is good?
100mm (3.9") is pretty low and how low is your Bellhousing (that usually gets the abuse)?
Was the car set at 2 finger gap (what most folks run their BDRs at) above the tire when you rec'd w/out the motor and trans? Raising the front does increase the toe in. Have you adjusted the front coilovers to the normal 2 finger gap at the top of the tire with the engine installed? Raising the front of the car does give you more tire /inner fender well clearance. (Rack is in front of the Lower control arms) Marking the tire circumference tread with childrens sidewalk chalk will give you the rub area on the tire and body.
What the LCAs should look like
http://cobracountry.com/cobra4salefo...1a-540x431.jpg

Alignment specs courtesy of Secret Squirrel on this forum.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d..._Alignment.jpg

Last edited by spdbrake; 12-16-2017 at 09:18 PM..
Old 12-17-2017, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

These Front Caster Adjusters can be used to move the wheel a small amount...

It isn't how fast your car can go
It is how fast your car can change direction

Home of Fake Snake Racing
Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR354/FMS392
Not Ranked     

Not sure what car number you have. I have an older BDR #354. I have the 18s on my car also. I run my car pretty low. Lucky to have a finger height on top of tire. On my car there is no way a 265 width tire would fit in front. Most of the older 17s ran 235s or 245s. The 18s I have seen run 245s. The 265s are giving you a little less clearance. The newer cars have a little more room in the fenders from what I understand.
Also, what negative camber are you running and what is your caster? BDR has adjustable camber plates and caster adjusters in case you need to fine tune any of those area. Can find them on the parts site.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Brye View Post
Not sure what car number you have. I have an older BDR #354. I have the 18s on my car also. I run my car pretty low. Lucky to have a finger height on top of tire. On my car there is no way a 265 width tire would fit in front. Most of the older 17s ran 235s or 245s. The 18s I have seen run 245s. The 265s are giving you a little less clearance. The newer cars have a little more room in the fenders from what I understand.
Also, what negative camber are you running and what is your caster? BDR has adjustable camber plates and caster adjusters in case you need to fine tune any of those area. Can find them on the parts site.
Mark,

Boynton Beach hasn't had camber plates in stock for about 2 years now. They didn't have caster adjustors for over a year.

265's will fit on a stock RT3 using factory 18" front wheels and not rub as long as you have the caster adjusted to put the wheel in the center of the opening. At least they fit on #888 as that is what I ran up front on my car before I switched to 315's up front.

It isn't how fast your car can go
It is how fast your car can change direction

Home of Fake Snake Racing
Old 12-22-2017, 09:46 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The body can be trimmed in these areas to get the wider tire on there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: