Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Cobra # 91 history request

Longtime car guy, but new to Cobras. As the title mentioned, Backdraft Cobra #91 has surfaced in Central Missouri. Small block 302 with a five speed, black with white stripes and a red leather interior. No heater or top or side curtains. Pretty early car...what should I be leery of? Just under 5,000 miles. It has been a toy all it's life. Was the engine/transmission installed at one of the dealers here on the forum, or was it a "kit"?
Old 06-25-2015, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester67 View Post
Was the engine/transmission installed at one of the dealers here on the forum, or was it a "kit"?
Doe it really matter who installed it if it was done correctly? If it were me I'd get the car inspected by someone who knows what they're doing, making the question moot - especially if the car was an early car and it's been decades since it hit the road.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The guy that has owned for the last ten years or so lost the folder with a move...was interested in the details of the engine if someone knew them.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

All Backdraft cars are built turnkey minus, then the engine is installed by who-ever. I wouldn't consider any of them a "kit".
Old 06-26-2015, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Right, right. I get that...I am just trying to find out if anyone of the forum can shed some light on this car. Seller has had it about 10 years. Second owner, we think. Wife got it for him as a retirement present after 20 years on the police force. Just under 5000 miles, about 500 on it when he got it. I just thought I would post to see if anyone could shed some light on the history of the engine/transmission. Rebuild? Mustang take out? He has lost the paperwork, but that is a factor. If one of the Backdraft Dealers comes in and says it was a new block 302 they built from scratch and installed, that is worth more to me than a Mustang take out that runs great but is used.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I didn't mean to step on any toes...I am new here. I understand that the Backdraft is not a Cobra kit put together in some hayseeds garage based on a cut down VW floorpan. That is why I am interested in the Backdraft...to me Factory Built is a huge plus. I am just trying to see if anyone here can shed some light on the final step.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

Have you called Backdraft to see what dealer this chassis was shipped to? As a company they are not terribly helpful but if anyone knows it would be them.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The norm would be some kind of 302 crate engine in the 340hp+ range very most it could be is a 347 stroker in the 450hp range . No Backdraft installer or dealer would fit a used mustang engine just doesn't do the brand or the installer any favours.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have not tried the dealers yet, that is a good idea. Maybe they can shed some light on this. Brooklyn, I am leaning with you on this one. But since it was an early car I didn't know how things were "back in the day". It has a gas cylinder to hold up the hood which needs to be replaced...apparently like they all do, which is why they stopped using them, according to the reading I have done on this forum. (best forum I have found for Cobra's on the interweb, by the way)
Old 06-26-2015, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

Backdraft use to have a forum that had good information but that was taken down several years ago. Backdraft in FL should be able to find out who that model went to but not necessarily the engine unless they installed it. Jay is also a great resource.

I have an early model #226 which I have upgraded over the last 5-6 years. The early models have some things that need to be addressed for safety issues. I can tell you that BDR is not based on a cut down VW chassis! I have never heard that before. It does use BMW E36 suspension parts.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS-BDR226 View Post
The early models have some things that need to be addressed for safety issues.
IIRC, the early safety issues were easily solved... heat shield for the brake master, bolt-in safety hoop for the driveshaft... and my seatbelts were (I've been told) the first to be run through the back of the cockpit & bolted to the chassis.

Some of the issues could be dependent upon the particular build.

Naturally, I have a soft spot for the earlier SN's... some of the later ones cut back on the stainless cladding in the engine bay to help meet the price point. Not sure if that's changed or not.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 06-26-2015, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks! This is the kind of info I was looking for. I have heard mention of "early cars problems" but never anything I needed to directly check.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would post some pics, but at 50 years old these computers fight me! The "early car problems" are not enough to scare me off, so I am thinking I will have to get this thing. I drove it and was transported back to when I was 17 again and bombing around in an MG...except this car, unlike the MG, has enough horsepower to pull a Boy Scout off your Granny.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick61 View Post
IIRC, the early safety issues were easily solved... heat shield for the brake master, bolt-in safety hoop for the driveshaft... and my seatbelts were (I've been told) the first to be run through the back of the cockpit & bolted to the chassis.

Some of the issues could be dependent upon the particular build.

Naturally, I have a soft spot for the earlier SN's... some of the later ones cut back on the stainless cladding in the engine bay to help meet the price point. Not sure if that's changed or not.
There was also a very important issue involving welding gussets to the rear trailing arms. The more HP, the more the need for this. BDR provided,the gussets free of charge.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another important tip! Thanks GLS! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!
Old 06-27-2015, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Winchester, take a look at the pics in my profile. The early models still look good. At least I think so. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

GLS, very sharp. Blue with the white stripes is my first choice....
Old 06-28-2015, 04:24 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking pros and cons

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to buy a cobra for the first time. looking to find out the pros and cons of a 1965 cobra with a 427 roush engine. How much leg room is in the passenger side? concerned about the wife. thanks rocky
Old 06-30-2015, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky506 View Post
Hi Everyone, I'm looking to buy a cobra for the first time. looking to find out the pros and cons of a 1965 cobra with a 427 roush engine. How much leg room is in the passenger side? concerned about the wife. thanks rocky
well... if it's a Backdraft, there's TONS of legroom in the passenger side... very roomy.
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 06-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default pros and cons

i im looking at a backdraft. can you tell me the pros and cons of such a car. maintence etc. thanks