Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft racing 302 ford
Not Ranked     

Pros and cons
I have #84 and am still in love with this car! yes I have had things to work out but noting you want have to do on a new build, I pick my car up at custom cars in fla and they always were there to help that's a big plus.
Pros... paint job, fiberglass, fit and finish, and it can handle better than a lot of other cobras I have driven. I own my own boat building business and custom mold shop and I can tell you there glass work is some of the best I have seen. I have had mine for almost 10 years and it still turns heads.
Cons... can't think of any
ED
Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky506 View Post
i im looking at a backdraft. can you tell me the pros and cons of such a car. maintence etc. thanks
Pros:
-factory assembled, so quality is a fairly well-known commodity
-roomier cockpit
-BMW E36 suspension, so parts are relatively easily sourced
-if it's a small block, you'll have plenty of room to work on the engine

Cons:
-check the header to sidepipe connection... some used a slip-fit with springs/clips, some used bolted flanges
-early SN's had seat belt bolted to roll bar. Later SN's were ran through the back of the cockpit & bolted to the chassis
-early SN's used a gas strut to hold the hood open... later SN's used a prop rod

nothing majorly deficient to the early SN's... just different... personal preference... GOOD LUCK in the hunt!
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600

Last edited by Slick61; 06-30-2015 at 05:18 PM..
Old 07-04-2015, 02:52 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to you all.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

So can anyone shed some light on how I can tell if the suspension has been beefed up with the gussets? Is it a body off job to have them welded in if it has not been done already? Thanks for all your help...
Old 07-06-2015, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

I thought I had some pics but I can't find them now. I had a local shop powder coat and weld the gussets on since I haven't welded since I left the farm.

It's been several years ago but as I recall they had to unbolt the trailing arms from the front brackets then weld on the gussets and then reinstall the trailing arms. The gussets are just some added steel and angle iron to reinforce the current mounting brackets. This supposedly affect pre-#200 build cars but mine needed them. It could be a big safety issue especially if you are running much HP which could stress the brackets and crack or break them.

You could take a picture of the brackets and send to Cashburn (a very helpful BDR dealer that posts to this forum) and see if it looks like it has already been added. You could also contact BDR in FL to see if they still have the gussets available. It shouldn't be too much $ to install. I probably paid $100-150, just don't recall for sure.

I don't have the car here, I keep it in storage. If I get it out this weekend I'll take some pics and post. Good luck.

Last edited by GLS-BDR226; 07-06-2015 at 05:58 PM..
Old 07-07-2015, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That would be great! This is good news indeed...I had no idea about the scope of the job, so I was of course thinking the worst. This sounds like it is no big deal at all...which gets me closer to a "yes" on the car! I did email Reg at Backdraft and he explained the parts were available and he was helpful, but didn't clue me in to the man hours involved. I hated to pester him, so I turned back to the forum. Thanks! I knew someone would know. Any pics would be great too.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I went ahead and bought it! The owner found the folder with the engine specs, which made me feel better if nothing else. The car as 4,700 miles on it. It has a 302 Ford rated at 345 HP with a Tremac 5 speed. Holley double pumper on an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake. (which sounds like a defect, but the “air gap” raises it a bit to cool the charge.) Heads are Aluminum AFR 185’s Roller Rockers on a Trick Flow cam with .574 lift, which seemed a little aggressive to me on paper but it is streetable. Block .030 over with ARP rod bolts and hypereutectic pistons. In 2003 (a dollar in 2003 had the buying power of a $1.30 today) the guy that commissioned the original car paid $9,668 for the engine/transmission. Runs cool even during the heat wave we have in Missouri right now...driving it reminds me a lot of my old '62 Corvette, pretty raw but tons of fun!
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester67 View Post
Yeah, I went ahead and bought it! The owner found the folder with the engine specs, which made me feel better if nothing else. The car as 4,700 miles on it. It has a 302 Ford rated at 345 HP with a Tremac 5 speed. Holley double pumper on an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap Intake. (which sounds like a defect, but the “air gap” raises it a bit to cool the charge.) Heads are Aluminum AFR 185’s Roller Rockers on a Trick Flow cam with .574 lift, which seemed a little aggressive to me on paper but it is streetable. Block .030 over with ARP rod bolts and hypereutectic pistons. In 2003 (a dollar in 2003 had the buying power of a $1.30 today) the guy that commissioned the original car paid $9,668 for the engine/transmission. Runs cool even during the heat wave we have in Missouri right now...driving it reminds me a lot of my old '62 Corvette, pretty raw but tons of fun!
Photos, we need photos!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I am 50 so my computer fights me at every turn...let me see....
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That was not right...let me try again....
Old 07-24-2015, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And this...
Old 07-24-2015, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, since I posted them on "Early Backdraft with Pics" it does not want me to post them here too?
Old 07-24-2015, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Each of these last posts I have tried to attach...
Old 07-24-2015, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry. Perhaps a new thread is in order.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Last try

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: