Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Winchester67
  • 1 Post By Winchester67

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     
Default Slave cylinder out

Picked up an early Backdraft car a few weeks back, and have been driving it more or less gently around since. Today after about an hour and a half driving my nephew around I got home, pulled into the driveway the clutch slave cylinder was leaking. (yeah, I know. Who has a car lay down on them 6 feet from their garage? Jesus loves me!) The fluid was dark...not sure if that is from overheating or the seals have rotted over the years and turned it black. I have seen that before on restoration projects that have been sitting. This car has spent most of its time sitting since its "born on date" in 2003. Had 4700 miles when I got it and is showing 4940 now. This has been the coolest day I have had it out, but temps were still low 80's. Car runs cool, with the fans kicking on in traffic as the gauge climbs, but levels out when the fans start or we are moving. At any rate, I understand later model Backdrafts have a heat shield for the master cylinder, which sounds like a wise upgrade to me. What is the new advice on a replacement slave cylinder? Ford 302 with a Tremac 3550. Anyone willing to chime in with what has worked for them?
Ozzie Goat likes this.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

My slave cylinder started leaking early on as well. It was a Wilwood unit. I swapped to a unit from what I think is either a Toyota or Mazda with a mount made by Bill Littleton. Never had another problem and my Cobra saw plenty of miles in both central Texas and Tennessee. Unfortunately Bill is out of business, but I am pretty sure Jay (Cashburn) at Vintage makes and sell a similar unit.
Gun Doc
Old 08-17-2015, 04:56 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

My master had the problem - I do not have a Backdraft car.

Master sits over the headers and the heat ate it up. I designed an aluminum shield that took an afternoon to install.

Best dang thing I did for the brakes.

Tru
Old 08-17-2015, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks! This is the type of info I was looking for...if an upgrade can save me from fixing the problem again later, I am all in. Cashburn certainly seems like a good dude, and I would like to throw him some money for the parts since he spends so much time on this forum. I think it is important to support the guys that support the hobby! Of course, lacking a garage lift I wanted to dig a hole in the yard and drive the Cobra over that so I could swap it out. My wife did not think that was nearly as brilliant as I did....
eunosracr likes this.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I had a Ram Internal installed. Love it!!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Stroked small block
Not Ranked     
Default Replacement

My replacement for BDR was a match to a Mazda B2600. I added a small heat blanket over it and made a heat shield for the Masters.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     

Just finished installing a Forte's 3/4" slave kit with a Wilwood 3/4 remote master cylinder. Seems to have a much stronger clutch now. Will know more about how it shifts this weekend. Been raining here every afternoon. I purchased an aluminum remote reservoir and used an3 braded hose to the master cylinder. I removed the rubber hose from the steel line to the slave and replaced it with an an4 braded hose. In order to make it work I had to use 1 1/2" spacers to mount the slave bracket to the tranny. This got the push rod out of the inside of the slave and allow for adjustment. Sure hope it last longer than the ones supplied by Backdraft. Most stock slaves, including mine don't last more than two years or so.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #260 w/ 347 stroker, Canfield 195 cc heads, prosystems carb on a VicJr, Comp roller cam
Not Ranked     

Clutch Slave

lots of threads on this subject...my issue got solved with a double seal on the slave...the standard "U" cup seal, then an "O" ring on the piston! heat shield did not work 4 me...fluid boils at 475 F, man that is hot...mazda truck slave with a top bleeder...not all have a "O" ring on the piston.
BDR#260...21.6K miles logged as of 4/2018
www.motorheadsohio.com We are an engine machine shop, specializing in crankshafts!
47 years of doing business an going strong! stop on by for a personal tour of the shop
Old 08-28-2015, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had been driving it for a while that day, but not hard...in fact, the temp was level and the fans only kicked on in traffic. If we were rolling, no fans. So I think it was an age/sitting related failure, not heat. It was built in '03 with 4700 miles on it since...that is a lot of sitting! Any hyd fluid better than another?
Old 08-29-2015, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester67 View Post
I had been driving it for a while that day, but not hard...in fact, the temp was level and the fans only kicked on in traffic. If we were rolling, no fans. So I think it was an age/sitting related failure, not heat. It was built in '03 with 4700 miles on it since...that is a lot of sitting! Any hyd fluid better than another?
Wilwood 600 Plus High temp. Used it for 6+ years but flush and bleed every year and use the BDR heat shield. I still need to send you a PM of the gussets unless you already added.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pricey fluid and a lot of work...6 years huh...seems it would be cheaper to just replace the 12-14 dollar slave cylinder when it fails...but to each their own.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

Just sharing what I do. As you said to each his own.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just got the car moving again. Tried the Forte"s slave cylinder. Did not line up with the clutch fork. Purchased the kit from Rosehill Performance Parts. The bracket is excellent and the salve cylinder is much better than the cheep one I got from Backdraft. Got it installed and it works great so far. The tranny shifts much better now. Glen at Rosehill was extremely helpful and willing to give me all the assistance I needed.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ordered the slave from Backdraft Racing...straight swap, back on the road. I got a master cylinder at the same time, but that is a lot more involved than a quick weekend morning swap and fluid change. Perhaps this winter...too nice right now not to have the convertible ready to go!
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I purchased a slave from Backdraft. Not going to use it. Will sell to someone if you need it. emai: jimbo01@embarqmail.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: