Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By cbreez
  • 1 Post By GLS-BDR226
  • 2 Post By jimbo01
  • 4 Post By itstock
  • 1 Post By Morris

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2015, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Rail/ladder chassis

Here is an extreme example of why you can't get too serious regarding a Backdraft Cobra on the track, the exception is a Factory Five. It doesn't matter what shocks or springs you use, the basic frame is very similar to this. Antique technology...This is why most modern race frames are triangulated, caged structures. Go just have fun with these for what they are...a fast street toy. The biggest factors in your track day fun will be tire choice and right foot!
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOflUwwz9Dw[/ame]
Morris and Jerry Clayton like this.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

The original Cobras had ladder frames that were, by some accounts, pretty flexible. I believe I've seen a quote somewhere where Carroll Shelby said the frames were part of the suspension!

A couple of Cobra frames which are not 'ladder' frames:
West Coast Cobra frame: Cobra Chassis Information
Factory Five MK4 frame: Design - Factory Five RacingFactory Five Racing
Old 09-28-2015, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

Not saying a Backdraft is the ultimate track car but this doesn't look similar at all to a Backdraft frame. A G. body Monte Carlo frame. Really?
Cashburn likes this.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     

The frame on my Backdraft car will make that GM frame look like a piece of ****. No flex on my frame. Are you trying to blow smoke up someone's ass?
GLS-BDR226 and eunosracr like this.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I guess I understand your overall message, but comparing the torsional rigidity between the backdraft frame and that frame is completely irrelevant and meaningless. You have a jack, you couldn't do this with your example, but the backdraft does well.

This is toward the front right corner jacked up on the side frame rail, which jacks the right rear corner frame 2", and drops the front left frame 2" lower then the front right, basically using the left rear and front right as perfect pivot points with zero flex. This is not scientific by any means, but move it around at different balance points and check for deflection. The frame is certainly quite rigid and nowhere near your example.

Last edited by itstock; 09-30-2015 at 12:00 PM..
Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The point is to keep it real regarding the track capabilities of a rail chassis. Just have fun with these cars for what they are and don't waste a ton of $ and time on an old design. They all flex, that is why most race cars Indy, sprints, midgets, stock cars and yes sports cars went to triangulated space frames many, many years ago. A good discussion is contained in the old Herb Adams book.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstock View Post
I guess I understand your overall message, but comparing the torsional rigidity between the backdraft frame and that frame is completely irrelevant and meaningless. You have a jack, you couldn't do this with your example, but the backdraft does well.

This is the front right corner jacked up, which jacks the right rear corner frame 2", and drops the front left frame 2" lower then the front right, basically using the left rear and front right as perfect pivot points with zero flex. This is not scientific by any means. The frame is certainly quite rigid and nowhere near your example
Actually it is relevant. Who uses rail chassis anymore?

The point is not saying the MC chassis is JUST like a BD, but the principle is the same. The BD has quite a bit shorter of a WB, plus you have a plastic body bolted on to help to help. These examples also have no G-Force loads which will enhance any twist further.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

We kept going stiffer on spring rates for the track. Eventually the chassis began to behave like a kart chassis. This resulted in pinching the passenger door in the body opening and splitting the inner to outer door panels. That's quite a bit of chassis flex...

Compared to any race car or current high performance production car standard these chassis are wet noodles.

Last edited by scottj; 09-30-2015 at 12:39 PM..
Old 09-30-2015, 01:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreez View Post
The point is to keep it real regarding the track capabilities of a rail chassis. Just have fun with these cars for what they are and don't waste a ton of $ and time on an old design. They all flex, that is why most race cars Indy, sprints, midgets, stock cars and yes sports cars went to triangulated space frames many, many years ago. A good discussion is contained in the old Herb Adams book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreez View Post
Actually it is relevant. Who uses rail chassis anymore?

The point is not saying the MC chassis is JUST like a BD, but the principle is the same. The BD has quite a bit shorter of a WB, plus you have a plastic body bolted on to help to help. These examples also have no G-Force loads which will enhance any twist further.
I don't disagree with the premise of your argument but your example was piss poor. Your example couldn't possibly be any more irrelevant.
GLS-BDR226, Grey 65, Zeke and 1 others like this.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj View Post
We kept going stiffer on spring rates for the track. Eventually the chassis began to behave like a kart chassis. This resulted in pinching the passenger door in the body opening and splitting the inner to outer door panels. That's quite a bit of chassis flex...

Compared to any race car or current high performance production car standard these chassis are wet noodles.
Scott

I agree with you regarding all of these short wheel base Cobra's.....

That's why we spent all of the time developing the chassis on KMP259. Our chassis is built to reduce the torsional twist from the suspension input. After we enhanced the chassis.....the bottom plate bolted to the frame rails from the front of the chassis to the rear of the chassis was the icing on the cake. On the track we could raise or lower the chassis one turn on a corner and see the results in the tire temps immediately ......

The national championship cars we built over the years, all started with a well thought out chassis first..... Then on to the suspension.....

Morris
cdnus likes this.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Scott

That's why we spent all of the time developing the chassis on KMP259. Our chassis is built to reduce the torsional twist from the suspension input. After we enhanced the chassis.....the bottom plate bolted to the frame rails from the front of the chassis to the rear of the chassis was the icing on the cake. On the track we could raise or lower the chassis one turn on a corner and see the results in the tire temps immediately ......

The national championship cars we built over the years, all started with a well thought out chassis first..... Then on to the suspension.....

Morris
Hi Morris,

To anyone who followed the KMP259 build thread it was obvious that you were the man with a plan... and the results proved it! I was more of a novice with a dream... lol. But, our track performance exceeded all our expectations and we learned a lot. More importantly, we made a few friends and had a lot of fun...
Old 10-30-2015, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3GT, Arancio Argos/Black Magic, Coyote XS, T-56 Magnum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Scott

Morris
Is the Kirkham chassis similar to the Backdraft's? Any links to this thread? Interested in stiffening the chassis up over the winter for track days next year.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC View Post
Is the Kirkham chassis similar to the Backdraft's? Any links to this thread? Interested in stiffening the chassis up over the winter for track days next year.
There is zero similarity other than 4 wheels.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Proud owner of Backdraft #1609
Not Ranked     

Does anybody have info/photos of a Backdraft chassis? I'm considering purchasing this car but have no idea other than it has a BMW rear IRS. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Does anybody have info/photos of a Backdraft chassis? I'm considering purchasing this car but have no idea other than it has a BMW rear IRS. Thanks in advance.
Backdraft Racing - Custom Shelby Cobra Kit Car | Backdraft Racing

and click on "Chassis"...