Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2015, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another headlight problem thread.

So I just realized my low beams are not working. I checked the fuse marked as low beams and it is not blown. The high beams work with no trouble. When I switch to low beams only the parking lights turn on, no low beam headlights. I looked at my fusebox and I do not see a marked relay for headlights, i just see horn, starter, fan 1 and fan 2. Is one of these relays for the headlights and not marked on the fuse box? Any suggestions on where to look next? Man these cars are fun. Thanks ! Here is what my fuse box looks like. Where is the dang headlight relay !!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by eunosracr; 10-31-2015 at 06:22 AM..
Old 10-31-2015, 10:49 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

It's not labelled because it's not in the box. It is hanging to the side of it.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
It's not labelled because it's not in the box. It is hanging to the side of it.
Jay to the rescue once again ! Someone buy this man a beer ! By the way the darn thing was tie wrapped and hidden behind the fuse box. I tapped the relay and lights still do not come on. Next step is replacement of the relay. If that does not work im moving on to the headlight switch itself.

Last edited by eunosracr; 10-31-2015 at 11:50 AM..
Old 10-31-2015, 01:31 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
Jay to the rescue once again ! Someone buy this man a beer ! By the way the darn thing was tie wrapped and hidden behind the fuse box. I tapped the relay and lights still do not come on. Next step is replacement of the relay. If that does not work im moving on to the headlight switch itself.
We usually replace all headlight relays before the cars leave. Sometimes we get a good one...
eunosracr and BDR0572 like this.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
We usually replace all headlight relays before the cars leave. Sometimes we get a good one...
Thanks again. Relay on the way.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

My experience is the same as yours with the headlight dimming switch. The OEM relay had failed as I could not switch between lo and hi. The replacement switch allowed switching between lo and hi but still was imperfect as most of the times I have to repeatedly hit the switch before the relay switches from lo to hi or from hi to lo. You gotta love these cars.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Jay can you or anyone else recommend an upgraded or reliable relay? Something more robust than what the cars come with.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem a couple of times also, NAPA sells an Echlin relay part #AR294, I carry a spare just in case.
eunosracr and BDR0572 like this.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC45 View Post
I had the same problem a couple of times also, NAPA sells an Echlin relay part #AR294, I carry a spare just in case.
Just picked this one up as a spare and chucked it in the trunk. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2015, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok gents swapped out the relay and still no low beams. What should i look at next? Switch ? Anyone know how to test the switch with a multimeter? I still do not hear the new relay clicking. However I assume the chances of getting 2 bad relays are pretty slim. I also looked at the bulbs and dont really see any broken filaments. Again the chances of having both low beams go bad at the same time seem pretty low. Could it be that my car was wired to only run high beams? I guess anything is possible. Looking for any help out there.

Last edited by eunosracr; 11-04-2015 at 06:13 PM..
Old 11-04-2015, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default headlights

Had a similar problem but it was the relay. The dimmer switch is a VW switch, could be the problem had mine replaced once because the little dimmer button on the stalk went TU.
eunosracr likes this.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC45 View Post
Had a similar problem but it was the relay. The dimmer switch is a VW switch, could be the problem had mine replaced once because the little dimmer button on the stalk went TU.
Looks like the dimmer switch is the next stop.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update: Bought some cheap bulbs to test if bulbs were bad. New bulbs did not work either. I have a headlight switch arriving tomorrow from BDR. I really hope this fixes it as I am stumped and have no idea where to go from there if the new switch does not work. With my luck the new switch fixes it after buying new bulbs and new relay. Open to any input or advice you more experienced owners may have with this situation.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

New switch installed and still nothing. Any clues? Anyone?
Old 11-07-2015, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

Are you using a volt meter to check for power?

Before the fuse, after, Before the switch, after. etc...
Old 11-07-2015, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpatodd View Post
Are you using a volt meter to check for power?

Before the fuse, after, Before the switch, after. etc...
I'm doing that today as I am at my witts end. Never used one before so this should be fun. Can you confirm how the switch works? I want to be sure I am not chasing a ghost. Position 1 activates low beams and parking lights, then position 2 is high beams and parking lights correct?
Old 11-07-2015, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     

I've never had to trouble shoot the light switch but using a volt meter is pretty simple. And if you have read any of my posts... you know I am simple.

Start at the battery, meter set to 12v. Just so you see how it works. Then go to the fuse box etc. Battery should read 12-14v. Note when and where you see a significant drop off. You could just simply have a loose connection somewhere.
eunosracr likes this.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've never had to trouble shoot the light switch but using a volt meter is pretty simple. And if you have read any of my posts... you know I am simple.

Start at the battery, meter set to 12v. Just so you see how it works. Then go to the fuse box etc. Battery should read 12-14v. Note when and where you see a significant drop off. You could just simply have a loose connection somewhere.
Thank you sir !
Old 11-07-2015, 06:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thank you sir !
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While I hate to bring up an old thread I feel that in have to share this story with you guys. After trying to get my low beams to work and swapping out relays, switches and fuses I finally gave up and decided to just drive with my high beams. So this evening I am researching my blinking indicator light and I come across a post that says to switch between high and low beams to use a button on the turn signal stalk. Surely my car did not have this button, as I would have seen it in the countless hours of driving the car. In any event I decided to go out to the garage and take a look, well I'll be damned. There is the button, there are my low beams. I love it when stuff like this happens. I really need to get a Manual for this car. Does anyone have a spare one. I don't mind having to purchase for it.
BDR0572 likes this.