Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cycleguy55

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2016, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Backdraft Oil Filter

I know this might sound very basic, but I am only a Backdraft 427 owner for a few days and want to change the oil on my new toy(car was built in 2014 and has 1,500 miles on it). The filter appears to be about 1/2 inch away from the frame, making removal challenging. Is there any trick to replacing the filter, or any particular wrench type that would work best? Also, how many quarts of oil does it hold (no oil cooler), it is the Iconic Dart block 351 Windsor upgraded to a 427.

Thank you
Old 06-22-2016, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Build #1054 351W stroked to 427
Not Ranked     

I use a shorter filter NAPA #1068 which leaves room for an oil filter wrench to facilitate removal and it takes 5 quarts of oil.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you have room I would put a remote oil filter on and that way it is easier to get to and you can use a full size filter. I used two filters on one of my remote units once but went back to a single filter one later on.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 06-22-2016, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the feedback, I think the remote filter is a great idea, I am surprised the factory doesn't make it that way.

NinexRep, since you have the exact same car, with the factory install, the filter can be taken off with just the small gap before it hits the frame? I bought the strap removal type filter wrench so I could get it around the filter, hopefully it is not welded on.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

I previously used a two stage filtration system...a fender-mounted standard canister type filter that fed into an Oberg pancake style filter, for which various "size" screens are available.

I typically use synthetic oil and a high-efficiency filter...the high-efficiency filter might be the reason the Oberg screen was always so clean.

My replica does not have enough clearance to be able to remove a standard size Fram PH 8 (isn't that the standard Fram full-size filter model?), so I use a PH 43 (I think--I am currently 860 miles from my replica, so no way to just check)...it is a shorter version of the PH 8 and is quite easy to remove.

Cheers!!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #832
Not Ranked     

I had the same problem. I ordered from Summit the Canton remote filter kit Backdraft sells. A lot cheaper. Installed it and now I can remove the filter with ease. Was a little difficult in installing the braded hoses but having made up these hoses many times made the job a lot less of a problem. I found that most most filters leak using their system but NAPA has a filter that works perfectly.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Should you change the oil and filter add 6 qts and ck the dip stick after running the engine and alowing it to cool. Add more if needed.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Backdraft loves to sell parts. More money.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bulmer View Post
Thanks for all the feedback, I think the remote filter is a great idea, I am surprised the factory doesn't make it that way.

NinexRep, since you have the exact same car, with the factory install, the filter can be taken off with just the small gap before it hits the frame? I bought the strap removal type filter wrench so I could get it around the filter, hopefully it is not welded on.
I had a remote filter and took it off as there were too many elbows (flow restriction) and the damn thing leaked too much for my liking. I replaced it with a Ford Racing 90° Oil Filter Adapter (p/n M-6880-A50) and I couldn't be happier - better oil pressure and no leaks. The adapter can be rotated to any angle you wish, and installing it allowed me to use a full size filter (Ford FL-1A) on my BBF. Highly recommended. The adapter is listed here (https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...view/make/ford) but they're widely available and I believe CC member mln385 has a NIB one for sale as well.

The only caution is on the installation - the O-rings are slightly oversize and you need to grease the channels they sit into to keep them in place while you install it - be careful not to dislodge the O-rings or they will cut when you tighten the adapter nut and oil will pour out when you start it up. It didn't happen to me, but I was cautioned by another CC member.

BDR0572 likes this.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 06-22-2016 at 01:44 PM..
Old 06-23-2016, 07:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

this ford adaptor looks like a nice piece. If I did not have the canton system I think I would give this one a try. Only draw back is if you want to use a remote oil cooler. No place to hook up the hoses to the cooler.

Last edited by jimbo01; 06-23-2016 at 07:16 AM..