Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Millsy
  • 1 Post By Cashburn
  • 1 Post By flyboy1997
  • 2 Post By Grey 65

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for Cobra with 351w stroked
Neutral     
Default Wife question

Hang with me, this is a Backdraft question. Looking for a RT3 for the wife....yes she is/was wanting a Cobra. Just to be sure she and I are on the same page being I'm the one working through the maintenance details. Power steering came up. or the lack there of.
Question, what is the feedback heard from the lady drivers, or your feedback ( male or female), on the ease of the Backdraft steering force? Any comparables? She drives a 99 full size Suburban as her daily driver. Grew up on family tobacco farm working the crops by hand back in the day. She is a tough cookie, but..., now is the time to enjoy life without being frustrated of trying to back out of a parking spot.
Guess we should have reached out more at the London cobra show!
Other notes: trying to find a good used RT3 with power steering is slim. I'm not that interested in trying to rework a power steering into a car. But I'm willing to listen to others if this has been done. Ordering a new equipped RT3 is not a viable route.

Let me know what you think. Any BDR owners within western
Ohio or eastern Indiana within 100 miles of I-70 corridor willing to share an driving experience?
Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra, SVO 460, Richmond 4+1
Not Ranked     

You could reach out to the Ohio Cobra club, several members have Backdrafts. Not sure how many would be willing to let her drive, but never hurts to ask.
Red W/ White Strips
SVO 460
Richmond 4+1
Old 08-02-2016, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

How hard could it be to install a power rack & pinion setup? Easy, I bet.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I've done 2 BDRs now, both with FEs. The first was a "he-man" version with no P/S, no P/B, a stiff clutch and a carb. The second Had power steering and brakes with fuel injection and better hydraulics for an easier clutch.

Wouldn't go back to the he-man version.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

Have one I would sell, built for my wife when she was driving 3 hours a day to her business, retiring now so I would part with it. One thing you are leaving out for her is PB also, this one has it & the Coyote motor with a little over 1000 miles.
These options make it a great driver.
This car is loaded out but if you want more info & pics let me know.

Wendell / Lynn
Old 08-02-2016, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have the same concern due to many shoulder surgeries. When my BDR gets to Vintage Motorsports i will be visiting it and i will bring my vette so Jay can compare the steering effort in it versus the Cobras he drives all the time. If the steering is much more difficult then i will have him put P/S in, if not then all is good. I see alot of Cobras for sale with very little miles on them and i think it is for 2 main reasons. One is the buyer should of never bought it because funds were tight to begin with and something unexpectedly came up that forced the sale of the car because funds were needed somewhere else. The second reason could be because they didnt like driving the car, something wasnt pleasurable with the driving experience. When i sat in the BDR cobra i knew right away changes needed to be made. The seat needs to be much forward and tilted down from its usual position. The steering wheel was also tilted too far forward. So Jay put all these demands/details in the build sheet and added tilt steering to the options. He also said that these issues can be resolved to make the overall driving experience what i want because of my shoulder issues. Having a builder like this is a big plus to ensuring the setup is correct. Having a local builder also allows me to bring my non cobra car to him so he can take measurements, take it for a drive, see how i like the steering wheel and seat positioned all BEFORE he even starts to assemble the new cobra. Small details like this is what i think alot of buyers miss and end up with an expensive car they dont care for. Alot of due diligence is needed before one is to order these badass machines.
Stearman likes this.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Another advantage with PS is you can dial in more caster which helps high speed stability.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
I have the same concern due to many shoulder surgeries. When my BDR gets to Vintage Motorsports i will be visiting it and i will bring my vette so Jay can compare the steering effort in it versus the Cobras he drives all the time. If the steering is much more difficult then i will have him put P/S in, if not then all is good. I see alot of Cobras for sale with very little miles on them and i think it is for 2 main reasons. One is the buyer should of never bought it because funds were tight to begin with and something unexpectedly came up that forced the sale of the car because funds were needed somewhere else. The second reason could be because they didnt like driving the car, something wasnt pleasurable with the driving experience. When i sat in the BDR cobra i knew right away changes needed to be made. The seat needs to be much forward and tilted down from its usual position. The steering wheel was also tilted too far forward. So Jay put all these demands/details in the build sheet and added tilt steering to the options. He also said that these issues can be resolved to make the overall driving experience what i want because of my shoulder issues. Having a builder like this is a big plus to ensuring the setup is correct. Having a local builder also allows me to bring my non cobra car to him so he can take measurements, take it for a drive, see how i like the steering wheel and seat positioned all BEFORE he even starts to assemble the new cobra. Small details like this is what i think alot of buyers miss and end up with an expensive car they dont care for. Alot of due diligence is needed before one is to order these badass machines.
Based on this post you will want PS. I'm not a fan of it, but if you want it light than it's the solution.
Stearman likes this.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey4420 View Post
You could reach out to the Ohio Cobra club, several members have Backdrafts. Not sure how many would be willing to let her drive, but never hurts to ask.
Understand totally, I would be very cautious too. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
Did not think about tilt, going to add that to the..."going to retrofit" list.

Last edited by Stearman; 08-02-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Old 08-02-2016, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Pm sent
Old 08-02-2016, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input and help. Best to ask and learn from the experience of others.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearman View Post
Pm sent
Flyboy, if I knew how to use this computer thingy, you would have seen this note attached to your post. But it ain't going to happen today. I'll have better luck next time.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to flyboy1997
Not Ranked     

I got your pm & sent you a email & contact name & number of builder
Millsy likes this.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I don't have a Backdraft, but I do have power steering in an A&C. Previous owner installed a GM power steering pump with a Ford Rack. I think Ford power steering pumps operate 1000-1200 psi and GM are 1200-1500 psi. I don't remember the exact numbers, but that is in the ball park. So do not make that mistake. In this light of a car you can steer it with your pinki finger, and you cannot feel the road.

A fellow that comes to the London Cobra show, who loves to run the auto cross, has power steering in a FFR. He installed an adjustable by-pass valve in his car. When the pressure exceeds the setpoint (a spring loaded relief valve design) it dumps fluid to the return line. Last I talked to him it worked perfectly. He dialed his PS to exact stiff/power level he wanted. I will install one, when I get around to it.

If you put PS in a car this light, I highly recommend installing the valve while your at it.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #888, Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

Get the Backdraft rack... It is just an E36 P/S rack and use a KRC P/S pump.. KRC pumps have different flow valves so you can pick the smallest one that doesn't make the rack grown..... I drive my car over 100mph and I can feel the road....

Kevin
Millsy and x96535 like this.