Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By tocheck
  • 3 Post By tocheck

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, small block
Not Ranked     
Default Advice for first auto cross?

Hi all,
As the title says, going to try auto cross next weekend. Any advice for a first timer?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Keep it simple and have fun. Its really helpful to have an experienced driver ride along with you.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Forget being competitive in the beginning. Concentrate on running the best lines into and out of the corners. Roll onto the throttle smoothly.

I tend to want to cut to the inside of a corner about midway through and that is not always the best track. Sometime staying to the outside is faster. But talk to experts. I am not.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I searched the forum for "autocross" and my name and found more than 20 different threads. I'm too lazy to repeat past advice. The answer to your question is there if you search for it.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-06-2016, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for Cobra with 351w stroked
Not Ranked     

Where is the event? Seeing your profile as being in Indiana, I'd like to see the auto cross event.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, Stroked small block
Not Ranked     

Check your tire pressure, Walk the course and make notes. I still go on the wrong side sometimes. I think I should get extra credit for going the long way around . Dont compare your self to others. Its all about making a clean run. Make it a little better each time. #1 is to have fun.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatdevil View Post
Keep it simple and have fun. Its really helpful to have an experienced driver ride along with you.
Best advice right there...
Just enjoy.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just learning the course can be daunting for some of the more complex ones. Study a diagram if they have one. When you walk the course, visualize how it would appear from behind the wheel. Focus on what sides of the cones to pass on and how to enter the gates. At least on your first run, concentrate on finishing the course without errors instead of your speed. You can build up speed later when you get familiar with the course.

Don't expect to be competitive the first few times out. You're going to hit cones, miss gates and probably learn how to spin your car out, too, but that's part of the learning process.

Although I've autocrossed my bugeye Sprite a lot over the years, I took my V8 Healey out for the first time last month and after increasing my speeds over the runs I got on it a bit early coming out of the last turn onto the straight and promptly did a 360 to the delight of the crowd. Always something new to learn.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 09-07-2016, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The event is at Tire Rack in South bend with the Mustang Club. Weather isn't looking great right now. I will not be going if the course is wet.
Stearman likes this.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I agree, forget the win....
You will pull in with a bad Cobra and will be shamed by $3500 Miata MKI.
If you have power steering you will do better, manual steering is not the best in that forum.

Have fun
Ride along with faster guys
Have fun.....
Old 09-07-2016, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

As a Novice autocrosser until I placed 1st two weeks ago in the class, and now have to contend in XP, learning the layout was my biggest challenge. Once I got use to seeing cones at speed and the meaning of the positions and placements, I then could relax and just concentrate on running the course. I did a lot of reading, asked a lot of questions, worked on my car setup. Seat time is what i'm working on now and forever lol. I rode with John Santos from NH on an autocross course at Thompson speedway. He showed me what a Cobra can do in the right hands. It just blew me away (neck snapping experience). Driving a car at it's limits is one of the best parts of autocrossing. I was hooked. The competitors are some of the best to get to know also. Good Luck. Don't worry about going slow at first and missing gates, I did and people came to my aide. Great bunch of folks
Old 09-11-2016, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advice everyone. The weather wasn't very good but I decided to trailer the car to the event and see what happened. It rained all night and threatened rain all morning but thankfully we only got a light mist a few times. Because of the weather only a few cars showed up. I was able to make as many runs as I wanted, having to wait in line no more the a minute or two. There was a SCCA guy there to help people that wanted it. He walked the track with us and then took me in his car around the course a few times. Starting out the track was very wet and I spun out the second time around. As the morning went on the course started to dry out and I started running a little faster each lap. I had no idea how well these cars corner! I know it could have gone quite a bit faster but felt I was at the edge of my ability at this point. Needless to say, I am hooked now too. After working with the coach from SCCA I am going to go to one of their events. If it is as fun as what we did Saturday, I am joining up.

Thanks again, the advise was very helpful.
6t8stang, Millsy and Stearman like this.

Last edited by tocheck; 09-11-2016 at 04:49 AM.. Reason: Spelling