Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 11-09-2016, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Sparco quick release steering hub

Is anybody using this quick release? Or, any other brand. I've used quick release steering wheels on a couple of cars (both have/had competition columns) and they are handy at times. It seems entry and exit from a Backdraft would be much easier with one. It looks like the Sparco system adapts to a standard column. You lose the horn button, I would think. I'm sure that could be relocated to the dash.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I had a quick release on my FFR, and I loved it. Makes working in the car - even just cleaning - so much easier. Good for security, too.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 11-09-2016, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, Roush 427R, T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
Is anybody using this quick release? Or, any other brand. I've used quick release steering wheels on a couple of cars (both have/had competition columns) and they are handy at times. It seems entry and exit from a Backdraft would be much easier with one. It looks like the Sparco system adapts to a standard column. You lose the horn button, I would think. I'm sure that could be relocated to the dash.
I was wondering if anyone had done this to their car as well. One thing to note, is that you don't lose the horn button. The horn button is not on the steering wheel. It's a separate button to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shellvalley 428 ford
Not Ranked     

Here is the one I am using. Turn signals on a Ron Francis toggle switch

Speedway Hot Rod Steering Columns - Free Shipping @ Speedway Motors
BYron
Old 11-09-2016, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REY 427 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had done this to their car as well. One thing to note, is that you don't lose the horn button. The horn button is not on the steering wheel. It's a separate button to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.
Learned something new.

Backdraft is displaying some cars at Sun n Fun this weekend and I hope to head over and meet with Frank on Friday. Hopefully, I can settle on a color and get a car built. I'm planning on buying a turnkey car from them. I've settled on Iconic for power and then just a few options. I see they sell a steering wheel that requires the Sparco adapter. Hoping I can get it installed prior to purchase.

Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 11-09-2016 at 02:23 PM..
Old 11-09-2016, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler Cobra. 350 Chevy Engine, blueprinted, heads cc'd, ported, polished, manifolds matched, big valves, 1.6 roller rockers, TB Injected, mild cam, MSD crank trigger electronic ignition. TKO-600 transmission. XKE Jaguar rear. IFS by Fast Cars
Not Ranked     

I put a Grant removable steering wheel on mine. The link will take you to my Cobra build photo Album. Scroll wither way as this is in the middle of the album. And it has a working horn in the wheel. I had to make a couple machined adaptors to make it all work.

Love having this, much easier to get in and out when the hard-top is on the car.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Arthur

Last edited by lal Naja; 11-09-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Old 11-09-2016, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks lal Napa. I'll check into that and see if it's compatible with the BDR column. I do like the competition look of the Sparco.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have tilt steering in mine, horn is on the steering wheel, turn signal is on the correct side and the stalk is metal.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
I do like the competition look of the Sparco.
Curious what the "competition look" is compared to a "non-competition" look ??? Can you show us all?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #272, 351W
Not Ranked     

I had the BDR hub machined down and drilled to accept a "Chrome" (polished Al) NRG unit. It matches perfectly, but I later realized the VMS brand is the exact same one for 1/2 the price. I also had to get both the wood and leather wheels re-drilled, but now I can switch them out. Oh, had to buy another one to get the hub adapter for the second wheel, so VMS is definitely cheaper option. Not sure how to insert images, but I'll give it a shot and insert a dropbox link if anyone is interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycvef07dk6..._8856.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ah2tk22n6..._8857.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fslpi7671y..._8859.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykcf6855xz..._8860.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1cczb2sbo...xU1946Hsa?dl=0

Last edited by Quentin Z; 11-10-2016 at 02:46 PM..
Old 11-10-2016, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's the Sparco hub
http://www.sparcousa.com/sites/defau...s/015R98TU.jpg

Best I can get to show. I don't have the know-how to post a picture. You can also Google Sparco quick release. My tablet doesn't copy/paste Web Links.

Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 11-10-2016 at 05:53 PM..
Old 11-11-2016, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

After concerning myself with entry and exit issues, I found it to be a non-issue. I met Frank at the Lakeland Sun n Fun today and checked out the Backdraft cars on display. All is good and I really don't anticipate the need. I appreciate the responses.

I hope to nail down some details in the next week or so and get the car on order.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #509, 347 S
Not Ranked     

I’ve got a question with regards to the NRG quick release.

Back in 8/2018, I bought an NRG “Thin Quick Release” SRK-400SL through VMS… which I’m given to understand is what they use on their new cars.

My steering wheel hub appears to be machined out of a single piece of billet aluminum. When I attempted to install the steering wheel quick disconnect… I found the inside of my steering wheel hub is 13/64” smaller than the portion of the new quick disconnect that is supposed to rest inside it. The inside diameter of the steering hub is 1 61/64” and the outside diameter of the part is 2 5/32”.

In the interim, it’s in the box sitting on a shelf in my shop collecting dust… but if there’s a feasible way… I’d still like to use it.

Anyone else using an NRG encounter this problem and… and if so… what did you do to overcome it?
Old 05-07-2020, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft BDR4 GT
Not Ranked     

I am preferring NRG stuff. Does someone know if that fits (BD4)
Old 05-07-2020, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I believe you are going to need an adapter. I know the SPF's do 'cause I already tried.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: