Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2017, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VMS BDR - 5.0 Aluminator - Whipplecharged
Not Ranked     
Default Let me introduce BDR 1591 aka VMS Mayhem

Trying this again...

I wanted to start my build thread featuring BDR 1591 that has been transported to the Vintage Motorsports Skunk Works garage. I plan to update the thread with my experience in building the car that helped start my obsession with speed.

As I've seen from reading similar posts here, the AC Cobra triggered in me a truly visceral response to powerful, incredible looking cars. In fact, I read a magazine article way back when (had to be in the late '80s / early 90's) that involved a tuner car challenge. I'm still searching for it, but my recollection of the article is that an author recounted his experience of driving an AC Cobra replica that had forced induction (can't remember if it was supercharged or turbocharged). The line that struck me read something to the effect of, "I've never experienced a car that I could downshift into 3rd gear going 60 mph, stomp the gas and see in the rear view mirror the black lines of the car spinning the rear wheels." I was hooked at that point. I wanted to own a car that could recreate that incredible event.

Fast forward, and I accomplished that dream...just not with an AC Cobra. I'll not bore you with the back story, but the car I'm referring to is a 2006 Corvette C6 Z06 that has very few original powertrain parts. It's putting down more than 1000 rwhp / rwtq, the car has run the 1/4 at 8.5 seconds and run 181 mph in a 1/2 mile event, which are popping up frequently (traction is and always will be an issue and I'm working on that - gotta love the capability of stand alone EMSs. 200 mph here we come!)

Words are interesting, pictures are better. So, here is the Vette and the other passion - 1986 Porsche 930. My dad purchased it in 1986. I learned to drive stick in it, drove my prom date in it ( ). Fortunately for me, I finally got my hands on it.

Here are some pictures of the Vette from the last 1/2 mile event

And some other random pictures

I will update shortly in the following posts the birth and creation of what will be the car I read about in the article, but with my ideas made real by Jay and crew at VMS. Jay has been tremendous in every respect, including capturing perfectly the essence of what my BDR will be - MAYHEM. I know, I know, naming a car, much less with that name, is hugely susceptible to crazy amounts of cheesy. That said, when you fully understand what the car will be, I think you will agree, the name is perfect.

So, cheers to you all for your inspiring posts, deep wells of knowledge and tolerance for my overly worded / under-pictured first build post

John

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 02-23-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Old 02-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SwtRide View Post
Hey all - I've submitted a build thread but it's awaiting moderator review. So, in the hopes of pushing it through I thought I'd briefly introduce myself. Cheesy as it may sound, the build that's underway with VMS truly lives up to the name Mayhem. Jay and crew at VMS have been outstanding. I can't wait to update the build as it progresses and will do so once the moderators clear me *cough cough*.
It's probably due to the photos. I think you need a certain number of posts before it allows you to post pics. Keep posting
Old 02-23-2017, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
It's probably due to the photos. I think you need a certain number of posts before it allows you to post pics. Keep posting
Doing my best without being "that" guy on the forum..
Old 02-23-2017, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Testing if I can post a picture..

Looks like I can.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 02-23-2017 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Looks like I can post a picture..
Old 02-23-2017, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking for Cobra with 351w stroked
Not Ranked     

Keep working at it. Not seeing it on this side of the fence yet.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hot dayum - it worked!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jay took a 'business' trip to BDR in Florida to check on my car and another car VMS was purchasing. Major props to Jay for checking on the cars to make sure they were as expected before having them shipped north. Jay snapped a few pictures to appease my pestering for pictures.. How sweet it is!

csw likes this.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 02-23-2017 at 06:30 PM..
Old 02-23-2017, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Finally at VMS

1591 finally arrived at VMS

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 02-23-2017 at 06:39 PM..
Old 02-23-2017, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default And so it beings

Let the tear down begin..

And now building it stronger and better

New, stronger differential with custom ratios from Diffsonline, totally reworked rear suspension with extra gussets to the subframe and cage and added metal to the engine mount tabs on frame:

And a little magic to the rear rims to allow for 335s tucked under the fenders:

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 02-24-2017 at 04:11 AM..
Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     

What motor and trans are you doing? Is it one of the backdraft setups or is it your own? If I was building my own, mine wouldn't be a backdraft set up. The car looks awesome.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
What motor and trans are you doing? Is it one of the backdraft setups or is it your own? If I was building my own, mine wouldn't be a backdraft set up. The car looks awesome.
Much appreciated. If by set up you're referring to the powertrain, it's a VMS creation - Coyote 5.0 Aluminator SC with some fun added to the top and Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed. VMS is taking care of all the necessary supporting modifications needed to handle the power that is expected from the engine set up.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Visited the car in person to see it fully finished. Im not sure who was most excited me, my son or my wife. I think the weather here is just teasing us, 60°+ for the last 3 days but time flys and i cant wait to have it on the road. 1SwtRide your car was up on the lift being worked in, Jay told me the details and I wont spill the beans but man that car is going to be a beast and dangerous! Some pics of me and my son with the Cobra.
Attached Images

BDR0572 likes this.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That is what it is all about!!! I'm so pumped for you and your family. Nothing better than planting the seed for the next generation of gear heads. Your car is outstanding. When do you take it home?

So, do you think the nickname Mayhem is appropriate after hearing the details from Jay? hahaha

John
Old 02-25-2017, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes MAYHEM is appropriate lol. My son rides with me everywhere in my vette. My wife gets so jeolous and his car seat has been in there forever lol. My car will go through inspection mid March, i will then goto DMV right after and then its all about the weather. I live 25 minutes away so anytime i want i can get it. It has been done but there were delays since Jay never put a Chevy motor/trans setup plus tilt steering etc etc. He wasnt familiar with the suppliers so he had some issues that were not his fault so he offered for my car to stay there for the winter so my wife didnt have to be kicked out of the garage. If i had to go out to the garage all winter and just stare at it i would of went crazy. These cars do sound and look good though.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
Yes MAYHEM is appropriate lol. My son rides with me everywhere in my vette. My wife gets so jeolous and his car seat has been in there forever lol. My car will go through inspection mid March, i will then goto DMV right after and then its all about the weather. I live 25 minutes away so anytime i want i can get it. It has been done but there were delays since Jay never put a Chevy motor/trans setup plus tilt steering etc etc. He wasnt familiar with the suppliers so he had some issues that were not his fault so he offered for my car to stay there for the winter so my wife didnt have to be kicked out of the garage. If i had to go out to the garage all winter and just stare at it i would of went crazy. These cars do sound and look good though.
You know you were tempted to bring it home to suffer that great torture, admit it! Curious, what lead you to select the Chevy engine / trans - familiarity from your vette?

Funny you mention the car seat. I too would bring my son in the vette (who is now 14) along everywhere I go. The booster seat left permanent marks - and I love it. Reminds me of the adventures every time I get in for a ride. I'd also get side-way looks from people who disapproved of putting a youngster in the vette (airbag concerns, etc.). My son and I would simply turn to them and give a thumbs up. Worked every time.

Given you're so close to VMS, after the car is done and I'm up that way for whatever reason, I'll be sure to let you know. Perhaps we can meet up at VMS.

Also, if you're ever interested in 1/2 mile events to see how your car runs all out (Cobra or Vette), let me know. I'll introduce you to a few events.

Congrats again.

John
Old 02-26-2017, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SwtRide View Post
You know you were tempted to bring it home to suffer that great torture, admit it! Curious, what lead you to select the Chevy engine / trans - familiarity from your vette?

Funny you mention the car seat. I too would bring my son in the vette (who is now 14) along everywhere I go. The booster seat left permanent marks - and I love it. Reminds me of the adventures every time I get in for a ride. I'd also get side-way looks from people who disapproved of putting a youngster in the vette (airbag concerns, etc.). My son and I would simply turn to them and give a thumbs up. Worked every time.

Given you're so close to VMS, after the car is done and I'm up that way for whatever reason, I'll be sure to let you know. Perhaps we can meet up at VMS.

Also, if you're ever interested in 1/2 mile events to see how your car runs all out (Cobra or Vette), let me know. I'll introduce you to a few events.

Congrats again.

John
I chose the vette engine trans combo because i wanted paddle shift capability. I have had a bunch of shoulder surgeries and have half a metal shoulder so shifting constantly is not in the cards. We were going to put a Coyote 5.0 with the new 6 speed paddle shift system. Ford was suppose to come out with it in early 2016, it was announced late 2015. Ford then told Jay it would be out Summer of 2016, then they told him and me in an email Sept/Oct and then when that passed they said in the Fall sometime. We got sick of waiting so we came up with using a Pace performance modified LS3 which has been bulletproof for me and I beat the hell out of my vette, burnouts, donuts, hard launches etc so we went with that. It was the first for Jay so some delays occured with suppliers and also installation of everything new. Yes i would meet you at VMS, would love to hear your car start and check out all the bells and whistles. As long as my schedule is clear i would check out one of the events you mentioned. My wife is going to be using my Vette on Fridays, I will be in the Cobra, my son will probably be in the vette and we will be doing Friday Family cruise nights. I have some destinations where we can park the cars safely and do some family friendly things like mini golf, batting cages, going out to eat, going to the back of oxford airport to watch planes land and just some scenic trips. Thats AWESOME that the car seat left marks and i have had people at my sons sporting practices go up to the vette and take pics of my sons car seat inside thinking it was really cool and my local police department said it was legal and the air bag gets switched off automatically if the passenger is under 86 lbs. Next winter when my wife gets kicked out of the garage im hoping she will then say yes to a 4 post lift, LOL.
1SwtRide likes this.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shiny to sinister

Engine ordered, other go fast parts on order with some lag time. In the meantime, the work from shiny to sinister is fully underway. Have to tell you, Jay and crew at VMS are impressing me more and more with every step of this build. Props!

The black out begins

And that Diff and attention to install detail - mmm mm mm

6t8stang likes this.

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 02-28-2017 at 03:57 PM..
Old 03-06-2017, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The heart has arrived...

The heart of BDR 1591, i.e., Coyote 5.0 Aluminator SC arrived, at VMS. Still waiting on the artificial lung that is a few weeks out.

The dual disc Centerforce Clutch also arrived.

Things are definitely getting interesting!
6t8stang likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 5.0 Coyote
Not Ranked     

My dream Cobra. Everything is perfect except the stripes (for me). Love that gray with everything blacked out!
1SwtRide likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96535 View Post
My dream Cobra. Everything is perfect except the stripes (for me). Love that gray with everything blacked out!
I totally hear you - if I had patience, it would be entirely gray. I don't, however, so we have this beauty. If and when I get the cosmetic bug, WATCH OUT!

Did I see you in your profile that you have a BDR Cobra? If so, please feel free to post up pictures here. More the merrier!

John

Last edited by 1SwtRide; 03-07-2017 at 06:08 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: