Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2017, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 5.0 Coyote
Neutral     
Default LED Headlights

I've had my Cobra for about six months now and finally got around to fixing my night driving situation. The headlights that came on the car were downright dangerous to drive with at night. They were made to look like projector style lights but didn't act like a projector and had halogen bulbs.

I was quoted $350 by a local guy to add HID lighting, which he has done to several Cobras. I thought that was high priced and hated the idea of running HIDs in a non-projector headlight. After doing some searching online, including getting quoted $600+ for custom LED headlights, I settled on some Sunpie 7" LED headlights made primarily for Jeep Wranglers.

I read several of the customer reviews for them on Amazon and was pretty satisfied. I also watched several YouTube videos to see what the light output looked like (cutoff, flood, distance, etc.). After all of that, I was set. Through Amazon Prime, it cost me $150 shipped. Cheap enough that I wouldn't be terribly pissed if they ended up not being to par.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5KSZIQ..._RT58ybW42G3PC

I was a little hesitant to start the install since I was afraid they wouldn't fit in the buckets. To my surprise, the wiring for the headlight had the exact same female connector as the headlight I was pulling out. The install for just the headlight took all of five minutes for each side! And to top it off, the lenses are dome shaped as opposed to the flat face of the pre-existing headlights.

I didn't wire in the half-moon LED running lights or blinkers initially. I just wanted to test out the headlights. The cutoff is very nice, especially for a LED headlight. The brightness is incredible! I can actually drive at night now! I had my wife drive in front of me after adjusting the headlights up enough to my liking to make sure they were blinding anyone. She said there wasn't any issue with blinding her or oncoming traffic.

For the negative, I couldn't get the front blinkers (the ones originally on the car) to work, neither with 1157 halogen nor LED bulbs, when the headlights were on. I decided to try wiring the LED blinker in the headlight to see if it could suffice. Turns out it works. No need to add a resistor in line.

Anyways, I highly suggest anyone looking to upgrade their lighting consider these Sunpie headlights (no affiliation on my end other than being an end user). Btw, I know my blinkers are white. You can wire them to blink yellow, but I like the white better despite the legality of it. No need to harp on it; I'll just ignore you.

And here are the pics. If for some reason they don't show up, feel free to check them out on my Instagram under my handle x96535.

Previous headlights:

Halogen headlight versus LED headlight:

Blinkers/hazards (don't know why it's showing up sideways):

mln385, Winchester67 and SGwick like this.

Last edited by x96535; 04-16-2017 at 09:29 AM..
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, Roush 427R, T56
Not Ranked     

Saw your post on Instagram. Those look good! Has it stopped snowing in Colorado yet so you can take her out?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

I installed the Truck-Lite 27270C headlamps a few years ago. Big improvement, I only wish the headlamp sat flush with the trim ring instead of protruding forward 3/4".
x96535 likes this.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

At the time your car was built there were really 2 options for these aftermarket style headlamps and they were either $900+ and totally functional or $80 and for looks only. That's actually how we sold them back then as "show only". Glad you found the new offerings and they work well.

There are so many sellers of these now but you do have to watch out. I just received a cheaper set and the halos and wiring are not what the seller lists, and most of these sellers do not handle english well.
csw and x96535 like this.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96535 View Post
I've had my Cobra for about six months now and finally got around to fixing my night driving situation. The headlights that came on the car were downright dangerous to drive with at night. They were made to look like projector style lights but didn't act like a projector and had halogen bulbs.

I was quoted $350 by a local guy to add HID lighting, which he has done to several Cobras. I thought that was high priced and hated the idea of running HIDs in a non-projector headlight. After doing some searching online, including getting quoted $600+ for custom LED headlights, I settled on some Sunpie 7" LED headlights made primarily for Jeep Wranglers.

I read several of the customer reviews for them on Amazon and was pretty satisfied. I also watched several YouTube videos to see what the light output looked like (cutoff, flood, distance, etc.). After all of that, I was set. Through Amazon Prime, it cost me $150 shipped. Cheap enough that I wouldn't be terribly pissed if they ended up not being to par.

I was a little hesitant to start the install since I was afraid they wouldn't fit in the buckets. To my surprise, the wiring for the headlight had the exact same female connector as the headlight I was pulling out. The install for just the headlight took all of five minutes for each side! And to top it off, the lenses are dome shaped as opposed to the flat face of the pre-existing headlights.

I didn't wire in the half-moon LED running lights or blinkers initially. I just wanted to test out the headlights. The cutoff is very nice, especially for a LED headlight. The brightness is incredible! I can actually drive at night now! I had my wife drive in front of me after adjusting the headlights up enough to my liking to make sure they were blinding anyone. She said there wasn't any issue with blinding her or oncoming traffic.

For the negative, I couldn't get the front blinkers (the ones originally on the car) to work, neither with 1157 halogen nor LED bulbs, when the headlights were on. I decided to try wiring the LED blinker in the headlight to see if it could suffice. Turns out it works. No need to add a resistor in line.

Anyways, I highly suggest anyone looking to upgrade their lighting consider these Sunpie headlights (no affiliation on my end other than being an end user). Btw, I know my blinkers are white. You can wire them to blink yellow, but I like the white better despite the legality of it. No need to harp on it; I'll just ignore you.

And here are the pics. If for some reason they don't show up, feel free to check them out on my Instagram under my handle x96535.
I'd be curious how they stand up long term. LEDs typically have a much shorter life when they're not properly cooled. The LED headlights I've looked at have heat sinks and some have fans to draw away the heat. The headlight buckets on my Cobra are sealed in back, so nowhere for the heat to go. Are your headlight buckets open? If not, how do you get rid of the heat?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
At the time your car was built there were really 2 options for these aftermarket style headlamps and they were either $900+ and totally functional or $80 and for looks only. That's actually how we sold them back then as "show only". Glad you found the new offerings and they work well.

There are so many sellers of these now but you do have to watch out. I just received a cheaper set and the halos and wiring are not what the seller lists, and most of these sellers do not handle english well.
Ummm Jay i hope those ones you are talking about are not the ones I just ordered??
Old 03-28-2017, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REY 427 View Post
Saw your post on Instagram. Those look good! Has it stopped snowing in Colorado yet so you can take her out?
Haha just barely! I got it out a couple times this weekend. It's supposed to snow again tonight... Looking forward to the summer!

Quote:

That makes sense. I know there are a ton of Chinese offerings for these style of lights. I feel like I did a decent amount of research on this particular set and on others. This seemed like the best compromise to me.

Btw, do y'all offer aftermarket packages on your cross-stitched interior components? I'd like to do the seats and door panels first then do the carpet on the sides of the tunnel in cross stitched leather as well. For some reason all of the stitching on the car is gold to match the accent on the stripes with the exception of the BDR logo on the driver seat; it came out silver. Not sure what's up with that. I just tell the wife that it's because I'm second place to her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
I'd be curious how they stand up long term. LEDs typically have a much shorter life when they're not properly cooled. The LED headlights I've looked at have heat sinks and some have fans to draw away the heat. The headlight buckets on my Cobra are sealed in back, so nowhere for the heat to go. Are your headlight buckets open? If not, how do you get rid of the heat?
The back of the light housing has the ribs for better cooling, but I too have sealed buckets. I doubt I'll do enough sustained night driving for them to get hot. The Jeep world has had great success with the longevity of this particular setup so I'm not terribly worried.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
Ummm Jay i hope those ones you are talking about are not the ones I just ordered??
Read that again... his car was built about 4 years ago
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Read that again... his car was built about 4 years ago
MY BAD and it was a joke anyways because i know when we had supplier problems with some of the GM parts and you let them have it and didnt let them get away with the B.S. they tried to continue to get away with and got the problems solved.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The back of the light housing has the ribs for better cooling, but I too have sealed buckets. I doubt I'll do enough sustained night driving for them to get hot. The Jeep world has had great success with the longevity of this particular setup so I'm not terribly worried.
True, but I believe Jeep lamp housings are open in back to allow for changing of the bulbs.

Keep us posted on how they work out for you - there are lots of Cobra owners who'd consider lighting upgrades - myself included!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsy View Post
MY BAD and it was a joke anyways because i know when we had supplier problems with some of the GM parts and you let them have it and didnt let them get away with the B.S. they tried to continue to get away with and got the problems solved.
I know. It's been so much fun I'm sure DMV will live up to the experience so far.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
True, but I believe Jeep lamp housings are open in back to allow for changing of the bulbs.

Keep us posted on how they work out for you - there are lots of Cobra owners who'd consider lighting upgrades - myself included!
I'll for sure keep y'all updated. Worst case scenario I can drill some holes in the buckets. The lights are self-contained so I won't have to worry about condensation.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

We have not seen any heat issues. Then again the limited use these lights see over time is a fraction of a daily driver situation.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The headlights are still working great. I've had the opportunity to take the car out the last few nights and am still amazed at how much better I can see now!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

x96535,
Thanks for the info. There is a link to the Sunpie lights in your first post. Did you create that link or did the system? I just don't want to be looking at the wrong thing.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-16-2017, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
x96535,
Thanks for the info. There is a link to the Sunpie lights in your first post. Did you create that link or did the system? I just don't want to be looking at the wrong thing.
This is where I got them: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5KSZIQ..._RT58ybW42G3PC
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've looked at those lamps and I'm not entirely clear on how the half moon 'angel eyes' or 'halo' ring works. Am I correct in that you can use the half-moon LED as either: a) running lights; or b) turn signals, but not both? Or can they be wired to use both (e.g. white running light with amber turn signals)?
Old 04-17-2017, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I've looked at those lamps and I'm not entirely clear on how the half moon 'angel eyes' or 'halo' ring works. Am I correct in that you can use the half-moon LED as either: a) running lights; or b) turn signals, but not both? Or can they be wired to use both (e.g. white running light with amber turn signals)?
They can be wired to serve as white running lights AND amber turn signals. It would be similar to an Audi's headlights. They're white when driving then the white light turns off and changes to amber when the blinker is applied.

I wired mine to only serve as white turn signals, since I like the way it looks regardless of legality.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
They can be wired to serve as white running lights AND amber turn signals. It would be similar to an Audi's headlights. They're white when driving then the white light turns off and changes to amber when the blinker is applied.

I wired mine to only serve as white turn signals, since I like the way it looks regardless of legality.
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2017, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft
Not Ranked     

I just installed Lucky 13 by HID Projectors on my BDR. Very similar car to yours. LOVE THE COYOTE. Never going back to carb.
x96535 likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: