Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Flowmaster sidepipe 13530320 Question

Hello!
I need some information about the flowmaster 30 inch sidepipe replacement muffler.
How much quieter are they, than the original backdraft sidepipe?
The problem is, that I need a quieter solution for my roush 402r engine, because otherwise my neighbors probably get angry after a while! Does anybody has some soundfiles of it in comparison to the original setup?
Would be glad to get some information from backdraft drivers!

Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

This has been well covered. Search 'Flowmaster Slimline' on CC and you'll find links to videos with sound level measurements, etc.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Ford FE from Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Maybe you should be looking for information regarding a good realtor. If your Roush 402 with stock Backdraft exhaust upsets your neighbors I don't think you will never find a solution that meets their expectations.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastormajorquin View Post
Hello!
...my neighbors probably get angry after a while!
I don't have a BD, but I've had ZERO problems with my neighbours - other than fingerprints and requests for rides.

OTOH, I don't rev the engine unnecessarily and I drive very sedately around my neighbourhood, both coming and going. BTW, I was on a first name basis with virtually everyone on my cul-de-sac before I bought the Cobra, and I maintain those relationships. I'd much rather have them approach me with a complaint than calling town council or the local law authorities.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Flowmaster mufflers

I just added flow masters because my car was so loud the would not allow us to run in the Goodguys autox in Del Mar Ca. They really quieted the car down especially the high frequency portion of the sound spectrum. It probably took out about 100 hp too but that isn't a big problem because my car is so traction limited already. I liked the old sound better but you can't fight city hall.

Bottom line they work
Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 B&B cobra
Not Ranked     

just installed those mufflers on my car, quieted down a bit and got rid of the high frequency. Still sounds good. As far as taking away horse power, I don't think so.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the infos! At the moment I don‘t have problems with my neighbors, but if I can avoid any problems I will take care of it. The thing is, you can‘t start the engine in the morning, without waking up the peoples. But if I can get it quieter at idle and don‘t have the high frequencies it would be great to run out of my neighborhood without getting into trouble. Do you have pictures of your cobra with flowmaster installed cobra3170 and hotrodyankee?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2018, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2001 B&B cobra
Not Ranked     

I don't have them on the car at the moment, took them off to have them ceramic coated.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I’m traveling this week but will post couple of pics on Friday
Old 04-10-2018, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Perfect!
Thanks spdbrake
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Flow Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastormajorquin View Post
Thanks for the infos! At the moment I don‘t have problems with my neighbors, but if I can avoid any problems I will take care of it. The thing is, you can‘t start the engine in the morning, without waking up the peoples. But if I can get it quieter at idle and don‘t have the high frequencies it would be great to run out of my neighborhood without getting into trouble. Do you have pictures of your cobra with flowmaster installed cobra3170 and hotrodyankee?

Thanks
They can be seen briefly at the end of this video, they are ceramic coated in satin black. I guarantee they lose power over a 21/2" ID glass pack but they also quiet the car down a bunch, too much for my taste but Goodguyd does not want to annoy others so they will stay on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kebN14i7MAA
Old 04-14-2018, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Flowmasters flow much better than the stock BDR mufflers having only two 7/8" perforated holes...

They do come unpolished so plan on spend some time sanding and buffing

And they are a bit larger ID than OD of the pipes. I took mine to a muffler shop and had forward pipe and tail spouts expanded a bit. (Don't push it they can crack) You won't get a perfect slip fit but the welds won't be enormous.
Ensure you install the muffler with the short depth cone on the inlet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuww8Yjyzsk

While your at it you may want to change the rubber support mounts. Bosal PN 255-481 $2.00 per most everywhere.

I added a hose clamp around the mount. Just snug enough to keep it in place and reinforce the mount from tearing.

Sound data from a earlier thread
need sidepipe options to get the decibel level down

Last thing: These are 1/2" larger OD than stock and the heat shields won't fit without re-contouring and larger clamps. They run a lot cooler with the Ceramic insulation in the case but my wife still got a pretty good Snake bite getting out of the car...
Winchester67 likes this.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They added power based on a FFR post. This was done via engine dyno, 18 hp. Over glasspacks
Old 04-19-2018, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Horse power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdata View Post
They added power based on a FFR post. This was done via engine dyno, 18 hp. Over glasspacks
The more power you make the more you lose both from a % standpoint and an exhaust volume standpoint. If you are making 400 to 500 they might help a bit depending on cam timing. Over 700 I guarantee a loss just because of the restriction vs a 2 1/2" straight through design.
Jdata likes this.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
The more power you make the more you lose both from a % standpoint and an exhaust volume standpoint. If you are making 400 to 500 they might help a bit depending on cam timing. Over 700 I guarantee a loss just because of the restriction vs a 2 1/2" straight through design.
Flowmaster Slimline mufflers are 3.5" ID, and FM claims the combined surface area of the holes in the cones is greater than the cross-sectional area of the ID. I realize there's some restriction in forcing the exhaust through a bunch of little holes, but I fail to understand how they still won't flow at least as much as a 2.5" ID pipe with louvers or holes - especially when the cross-sectional area of a 3.5" circle is nearly double that of a 2.5" circle.

Please explain.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Flowmaster Slimline mufflers are 3.5" ID, and FM claims the combined surface area of the holes in the cones is greater than the cross-sectional area of the ID. I realize there's some restriction in forcing the exhaust through a bunch of little holes, but I fail to understand how they still won't flow at least as much as a 2.5" ID pipe with louvers or holes - especially when the cross-sectional area of a 3.5" circle is nearly double that of a 2.5" circle.

Please explain.
All I can tell you is that we use a higher average percentage of throttle with the flow masters than we did with the steel packed 2 1/2 inch ID pipes. I suspect that flow may be disrupted more by the multiple holes not parallel to direction of flow despite the greater surface area. We have logs from every run with the new EFI and can see average throttle opening is greater with flow masters.
I guess the only way to really test this would be on a chassis dyno but the data and pure "seat of the pants" says we are down on power. This car can blow a pylon down with the 2.5" ID steel packs it can't with the Flowmasters
so I am guessing exhaust volume/velocity is reduced which will kill power .
Winchester67 likes this.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #91 with 345 HP 302
Not Ranked     

Personally, I love the "Pylon Test".
Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
I guess the only way to really test this would be on a chassis dyno but the data and pure "seat of the pants" says we are down on power. This car can blow a pylon down with the 2.5" ID steel packs it can't with the Flowmasters so I am guessing exhaust volume/velocity is reduced which will kill power .
Makes sense.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got my flowmasters sidepipes 30 from summitracing and need to know, where the inside and where the outside of the pipe is. There is one longer and one shorter cone installed!
Would be glad to get some more information.

Thanks Marc
Old 06-07-2018, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Short cone is inlet.