Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-06-2018, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #168 427W 66+K miles and counting
Not Ranked     
Default Camber/Caster plates

Has anyone successfully installed camber/caster plates on their BDR? If so, what brand, and what mods were necessary?

Cashburn, have you looked at doing this?

For those who will ask the inevitable, yes, I've searched the topic.

Thanks

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt"
Old 07-06-2018, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

You should have found someone in this same forum that just went through this.
I'll look for it.

I have them, so do others. There is also an upgrade for caster adjustment via a helm joint added to the rear of the front control arm.

They are only available from Iconic/BDR. There is no allowance for a strut top bushing, so it's metal on metal. I don't find it to be too rough. If I had a do-over I might thing about different uprights at the same time.

Roy
Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was SpeedBrake:
Backdraft camber plates
Old 07-06-2018, 11:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Roy:

I already have the camber plates installed and I purchased the caster adjusters from BDR as well. The caster adjusters require machining of the control arms and provide a very limited amount of adjustment. Consequently I am looking elsewhere.

My question was specific to the camber/caster plates--at least I thought that was clear--not camber plates. I did see Speedbrake's thread.

You can also buy offset control arm bushings from a variety of sources but I don't know how much adjustment these bushings provide. Hence, the question on the combination camber/caster plates.

Thanks

Last edited by Sledge; 07-06-2018 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Spelling!!
Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Makes sense to me, the adjustment was dead nuts on and the handling is amazing.
They did machine the part, that was dumb.

With the caster part the heim joint does not have a grease fitting or way to lubricate.
That's dumb too.

(edit: I meant dead nuts to the specs they gave us, after replacing parts I was off with no adjustments. Very happy to be at square one.)

Last edited by Ozzie Goat; 07-06-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Old 07-06-2018, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went the Backdraft camber plates as the BDR shocktowers are narrow and won't accommodate caster adjustments. You may be able to pick up a degree or so by slotting the camber plates, but then even that is questionable because of the 4, 10mm locking bolts and where they are on the center tower hole.
I've been searching for Control Arm Caster adjusters for awhile now and of course no vendor ever really gives +- specs on the Heim joint style or the offset Poly or Delrin bushing types.

My personal quest is to dial out a bit of the current caster I have @ +4.4 and drop it to the lower side of spec which is +3.2 to +4.2 since I'm not happy with the heavy steering in corners.
But another issue I've had since day 1 on this car is a 50mph and up 1/4" steering wheel flutter. Removing some caster could accentuate it.

Although it was also there with old tires, I had these new tires road force balanced twice, removed tires re-indexed on the rims to lower the weights, Dial indicator runout checks axially and radially on the rims are good. Dial indicator runout checks on the pin drive adapters, The front end components are all new, Wheel hubs, rotors, Cleaned up pin drives, LCAs, Poly LCA rear bushings, Shocks, Camber plates, Steering rack play tightened up, steering column bushings and U-joints are tight and lubed (But I'm not happy with the mismatch in geometry in the upper and lower u-joints). Tie-rod ends are tight (1900 miles on the car) put new boots on them recently and found the grease still fresh and no Black Graphite (wear) but maybe next...
I have a set of Toe-plates coming since I have .44 deg toe out which does not help a bit.
In all not a real big deal and I love the hunt while troubleshooting.

A couple of shops do give a spec (this one is BS @ 10 deg)
https://www.driftshop.com/front-cont...t-e30-e36.html
calls out Centered to Offset
https://www.akgmotorsport.com/produc...w-e30-and-e36/
These appear to be the Backdraft source.
https://store.langracing.com/akg-fro...30-e36-and-z3/

All of these are typically non-lube teflon lined outer race bearings.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sledge,

I forgot to ask after all my long winded diatribe above.
What are you after with the caster bushings, or lollypops?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Speedbrake:

All I want is to be able to adjust front caster. I can adjust camber and toe, but not caster.

Thanks

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: