Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > BackDraft Racing ---

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By IMLost
  • 1 Post By tpatodd

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #997, Roush 427SR+TW
Not Ranked     
Default 3M Clear Bra

Thought I would share my experience and save some of you the same grief.

I acquired my BDR used and it already had the 3M bra on it. Lately it has started to yellow so I took to the guy in town that everyone says to use. His advice, jokingly at first, was to sell the car. The older 3M's had a SUPER strong adhesive that is hard to get off.

He was able to get mine removed but not without pulling some paint off. Luckily, I a) have touch-up and b) it is located in areas near the bottom front of the car (not that noticeable).

He told me had I waited-- it could have been worse. He said a year or two earlier might have prevented the whole situation.

Good times!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3018 - Lykins 289 H.O. SBF
Not Ranked     

I've thought about having that done to my car too. The thought of a stone chip messing up an $8000 paint job - a neurotic's nightmare.

I guess you just need to know the lifespan of the product and plan accordingly.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427sc
Not Ranked     

Was it due to heat from the pipes? I'm considering wrapping my entire car, but am somewhat concerned with how it will handle the intense heat.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, just the age and Florida Sun. My car was built in 2008 so it is easy to guess that the 3M was 10-years old. He said the shelf life is 3-5 depending on conditions.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

I also have a 2008 vintage BDR with a yellow bra.
Boo
Old 10-13-2018, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Anyone that drives their cars are going to get chips, road rash or scratches. Hard to enjoy them if those things are alway on your mind. Never been wet? You live in Florida which means you never drive it. It's a hobby not an investment no matter how much you have "invested in it. IMHO.
Trubble likes this.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

dacobb, the first chip is devastating, but it's going to happen, unless you just park the car in the garage, wax and wax and wax, sit in it and make varoom varoom sounds. Some people actually do that stuff but others of us enjoy driving them. I do wish I'd gotten a 3M film on my car but suddenly, too many miles had gone by and lots of chips appeared. I'll certainly use it after I have the car resprayed in the next year or two.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLost View Post
Anyone that drives their cars are going to get chips, road rash or scratches. Hard to enjoy them if those things are alway on your mind. Never been wet? You live in Florida which means you never drive it. It's a hobby not an investment no matter how much you have "invested in it. IMHO.
Not sure if this is directed at me (assume so) but perhaps I missed the point of my post. If you have the 3M bra-- don't wait to replace it. Auto Guard here in Tampa has better products that they will be able to remove without paint damage the next go around.

I'm getting mine replaced so that I CAN drive it with a little less worry.
tgandy likes this.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have used this on the bottom part of the nose and the spats.. Works great !
XPEL Products - XPEL Technologies Corporation

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 10-14-2018, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1333, Smeding 427
Not Ranked     

The XPEL film is superior to 3M, it is self-healing and it is not prone to yellowing, which the 3M is. Apply a ceramic coating on top of the PPF and you will be amazed.

Keep in mind that PPF is sacraficial in nature, and while it’s hard to justify pulling off a wrap that you spent a lot of money having installed, that is what you should do every 3-4 years. The other point to make is that you have to find a good installer for this work. Cobras are challenging for a custom installer because there are a lot of compound curves on this body.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #178 United Speed World Special
Not Ranked     

Todd, was not meant as a slam to you. My car is older than yours and in retrospect it may have prevented some of my rash. It was more of a statement that these cars are meant to be fun and driven to experience that. As "dacobb" said the first scratch will make you sick, but if you put $ 8 grand in a paint job, as Karl in AZ saidbe ready to sacrifice it sometime somewhere down the road. IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. Some time somewhere. I've done over 10,000 miles this summer alone. My first rub and scratch was long ago, but my next trip is still in front of me.
Polish and protect them, but mostly; DRIVE THEM!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Here’s an alternative that worked for me.
Bought my SPF new in 2009. After 12,000 miles, the front end paint looked like it had gone through a sand blaster. Only driven on Southern California paved roads and freeways. Chips all over the front of the car.
Got into a minor altercation with a cement flower stand and had the front half of the car repainted. The painter applied more clear coat this time.
Now, after another 15,000 miles on the same roads, there isn’t a single chip on the front end.
Maybe a good clear coat is the answer.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
Here’s an alternative that worked for me.
Bought my SPF new in 2009. After 12,000 miles, the front end paint looked like it had gone through a sand blaster. Only driven on Southern California paved roads and freeways. Chips all over the front of the car.
Got into a minor altercation with a cement flower stand and had the front half of the car repainted. The painter applied more clear coat this time.
Now, after another 15,000 miles on the same roads, there isn’t a single chip on the front end.
Maybe a good clear coat is the answer.
Curious how he was able to paint/blend this in since there is no body seam on the car. I wanted to get some front chip work done on a prior car I had and the painter said he'd have to pretty much paint the entire car sans the doors, trunk and hood to avoid a blend line. If it must be done, he indicated that some might try and blend on the inner curve behind the doors as the rear fenders start to round out rearward.

I was not aware that PPF had to be replaced so frequently. I'd rather have rock chips and then later repair/paint if it bothered me so much. It might be less expensive in the long run. Around here it costs thousands to apply PPF. My Shelby sat out in the LA sun for a couple years and the vinyl stripes melted onto the paint. Removing the vinyl ended up damaging the paint and resulting in a complete new paint job.

Last edited by 66gtk; 10-15-2018 at 09:24 AM..
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue66 View Post
I have used this on the bottom part of the nose and the spats.. Works great !
XPEL Products - XPEL Technologies Corporation
I put XPel on my GT350 when I bought it 18 months ago. Full wrap with Ceramic Pro Coating. I'm not sorry I did it.

Terry
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLost View Post
Todd, was not meant as a slam to you. My car is older than yours and in retrospect it may have prevented some of my rash. It was more of a statement that these cars are meant to be fun and driven to experience that. As "dacobb" said the first scratch will make you sick, but if you put $ 8 grand in a paint job, as Karl in AZ saidbe ready to sacrifice it sometime somewhere down the road. IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. Some time somewhere. I've done over 10,000 miles this summer alone. My first rub and scratch was long ago, but my next trip is still in front of me.
Polish and protect them, but mostly; DRIVE THEM!
I do love to drive it! So happy the dry season is here!
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66gtk View Post
Curious how he was able to paint/blend this in since there is no body seam on the car. I wanted to get some front chip work done on a prior car I had and the painter said he'd have to pretty much paint the entire car sans the doors, trunk and hood to avoid a blend line. If it must be done, he indicated that some might try and blend on the inner curve behind the doors as the rear fenders start to round out rearward.b.
You are correct. The blend line is where the door meets the rear fender. Luckily I have carbon fiber spats on the front of the rear fenders so the line was simple to mask.